Question: Who on here has been unhappy with results using Amsoil?

Nov 22, 2009
Queen Creek AZ
I am not going to get into an argument on this subject, because of duratothemax and his sacasm about the people who push Amsoil, and not about the oil itself.

I have run the Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30 in both of my duramaxes since 2003 and also the BMK-17 bypass system on both as well. I just upgraded my 06 with the new design bypass as my old one, well, it seen too many rocks and salt and the fittings were beat up and starting to leak, but at almost 8 years old, not to bad considering it had 350,000 miles on that.

I have not had any oil related issues and had at one point went 100,000 miles without removing the oil pan drain plug, just did an oil analysis at 15,000 mile intervals, and when the results came back all good to go and reuse oil, I changed the bypass filters and filled them up with fresh oil, and then repeat. I never had an oil analysis come back that was not great. I just rolled over 175,000 miles on my 06 this weekend in the snowstorm in Buffalo, and it still runs better than the day I bought it.

I did chicken out last summer and did a full oil change because I was sure that the oil was going to be wore out, but when I sent the sample in, it came back all normal and I wasted $150 on new oil and analysis.

so even for all the nay sayers about Amsoil, that is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinions about anything, I just wish that people would be more respectful of what some people have to say, and to not make things so personal. Amsoil makes a great product and if the recomendations are followed, the stuff will perform better than you expect it to. It will also save BIG bucks on changing oil that could be better spent on other things for the truck, like better shocks, EFI live, exhaust upgrades, new headlights, whatever.

But until someone steps up and proves that I wasted money or that I was hurting my truck for not changing the oil every 5,000 miles and lining Shells's pockets even more just because they say so, or whatever, I will continue to save moey every 5,000 miles and know 100% for sure that the oils I chose to buy from Amsoil are second to none, and they are also helping to fund my new toy purchase from the money I saved.

Thanks and I approve this message.

You said it!:rofl:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
When my dad had his 07 lbz, he got in mine to go somewhere with me. First thing he said when we hit the road was my engine sounded quieter "like it isn't working as hard".
He was running whatever the dealer put in. I had rotella syn 5/40

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
I don't gamble much therefore my $8k engine gets it's oil changed every 4k-5k miles. My equipment gets it's oil changed every 100-150 hours. Oil is cheap compared to my time and downtime on equipment or trucks.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
When my dad had his 07 lbz, he got in mine to go somewhere with me. First thing he said when we hit the road was my engine sounded quieter "like it isn't working as hard".
He was running whatever the dealer put in. I had rotella syn 5/40

Well that doesn't mean shit according to paint... I am waiting for the almighty one to return and shed some light on all of us, he does after all know what is the best.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
I had been running amsoil 15W/40 engine oil in my LB7 for the past 30K miles or so. I had noted lower oil pressure, but chalked it up to being the better flow characteristics of a synthetic oil, that was until i noted it continuing to fall over the past months. Now, upon disasembly of the engine, I find that all of the main bearings have been trashed, and the rod bearings beginning to flake.

My question is, who uses/has used Amsoil, and were you satisfied with the result? Don't get me wrong, they make a killer product, and this is the first trouble I have had with them, but it brings about serious doubt in my mind as to weather or not I will continue using their product...

If you used Amsoil and were dissatisfied, what did you switch to?

Have you mic'd the crank? I would bet money on the flaking being caused by excess bearing to crank clearance. Have you checked the oil pump?

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I had been running amsoil 15W/40 engine oil in my LB7 for the past 30K miles or so. I had noted lower oil pressure, but chalked it up to being the better flow characteristics of a synthetic oil, that was until i noted it continuing to fall over the past months. Now, upon disasembly of the engine, I find that all of the main bearings have been trashed, and the rod bearings beginning to flake.

My question is, who uses/has used Amsoil, and were you satisfied with the result? Don't get me wrong, they make a killer product, and this is the first trouble I have had with them, but it brings about serious doubt in my mind as to weather or not I will continue using their product...

If you used Amsoil and were dissatisfied, what did you switch to?

Just wondering since your truck is a LB7, have you had a injector failure with fuel in the crankcase?

TAGLARRY

Nov 10, 2010
I know that I am just a FNG but I can't recall ever speaking to another truck owner (gas or diesel) in my 40 plus years who reported an oil related failure that was caused just by the brand of oil and it's lubrication properties.

I am sure it is claimed to be the case quite often but I doubt if it actaully happens very often.

seth999

Wheeewwwww!!!
Jul 1, 2009
Corbin,KY
I always run rotella 15/40...change it every 5K and go on with it...we run it in all our big trucks and never had a single issue with it so thats good enough for me...plus we buy it in bulk so it's way cheap...can't argue with that:thumb:

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
I am not going to bad mouth Ams Oil as I have run it in the past and it seemed OK. I will say this. I was changing Ams Oil at around 10,000 miles intervals. Never abused my truck and always watched the gauges. I was pulling my 5th wheel up a long hill and watching the gauges. Everything was good. All of a sudden heard a pop and then smoke everywhere. The engine had a catastrophic failure. Now have a Trippin Socal engine in there. Sent the engine down to Guy and it couldn't even be used for a rebuild. Everything was gone. Injectors did not seem to fail. Pistons were not burnt through....just everything scoured and crank bearing turned and gone.
I can not say that Ams Oil had anything to do with it but I can assure you I would never go beyond regular oil change intervals again.
Guy can verify the damage done to that engine.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
im every 3k... :thumb:

I honestly don't get why people want to go more than 10k miles on an oil change.

Same here an Mike _s I've seen more then one dmcx have bad luck with amsoil an a few cummins I use rotella personally ,but it all could be change intervals or bad treatment i dunno I like shells rotella it cost me 39 bucks to change my.oil my bearings looked perfect at 200 k so just my two cents

Last edited:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
i just took a sample of oil from my race car and it's going to oil analizers for a check up, well see what they say.

the oil has turned somewhat black in 20 passes, but thats all i can see.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
I ran it for awhile... I was always pushing oil past my turbos when running all out. there would be a ton of oil in the boost tubes. Switched back to good ol 50 plus JD and don't have that problem anymore:dontknow:

I'm running schaeffer oil right now and noticed the same thing. I haven't narrowed it down to the turbo yet but that's my guess at this point.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
I ran Amsoil for 55k miles then had a bad oil analysis due to what we think was coolant intrusion during my EGR delete. I flushed with and used Delvac 1300 for my 6k follow up sample and I seen no difference in noise or anything else other than maybe cold PSI. Changing my oil at 5-6k I've lost the desire to spend $100 on an oil change. When you can find Delvac/delo for $9 a gal sometimes and $13 any other the price point just isn't there unless you go 15k on the Amsoil.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
I ran it for awhile... I was always pushing oil past my turbos when running all out. there would be a ton of oil in the boost tubes. Switched back to good ol 50 plus JD and don't have that problem anymore:dontknow:

I'm running schaeffer oil right now and noticed the same thing. I haven't narrowed it down to the turbo yet but that's my guess at this point.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I have been running AmsOil for about 110K. Do the oil analysis every 20k. After installing the Banks air filter, the Silica level of the oil increased more than expected between analysis.

I have heard that aftermarket oiled filters do not do as well of a job as the factory ones (or the paper ones). However, I changed the oil and have not had the same problem. Might have been a loose turbo inlet clamp or something (found that later).

I do change the full flow filter at 10k and both at 20k. Then do all at 30k (just did not wait long enough for the analysis). But at 30k I could have continued to run the oil for at least one more interval.

I now have the 2 amsoil filters and the PPE centrifuge. Just want to see how much crap I can keep out of the oil. I have cleaned the centrifuge once time, only (that was at the 8k mark after its install) to find a small amount of stuff stuck in it. More like the crud you try to wash off your hands for 2 weeks after working on a diesel.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
OT - we are supposed to change the oil? drive it like you stole it and steal another when she blows doesn't apply in this situation?
:rofl:

DougSmith

im every 3k... :thumb:

I honestly don't get why people want to go more than 10k miles on an oil change.

I wil tell you why.... It is a waste to do it more often. Take for example, the EaO52 oil filter from Amsoil. It is the best filter on the market and was proven to be the best by testing done by some DP members a while back, along with some lab somewhere. It is marketed as a 25,000 miles filter when used with a premium synthetic, in this case Amsoil. Hmmm. A company tells you it is ok, then a lab does tests and say that is correct, and then people that do it to back that up. Sounds to me like it saves the customer some money, because Amsoil themselves sort of lose money on the LESS frequent oil and filter changes, right?

In my case, I run oil samples every 20,000 to 30,000 miles just to make sure the oil is perfoming as Amsoil said it would, and I use 2 of the BEST filters on the market as proven in some labs and some tests somewhere. Sounds like a money making scheme to me...Seriously!

Like I said, I use the money I have saved by NOT changing the oil as often as some, and use it to take my wife out to dinner at a fancy place, or buy a set of tires for my truck, instead of lining the pockets of Valvoline, Fram and any other company out there that wont stand behind their product.

Understand now???

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Yeah, we all understand what you are saying there, but if you saw the inside of my engine, you would understand where I am coming from. Keep in mind this is in an engine that has amsoil dual remote bypass filter setup, no foreign intrusion into the oil system, filter and oil changes at 10K regardless...seems like a pretty good case scenario for the oil to have performed well to me, but it didn't in this case, as well as a few others that i have learned of.