Who is running AF (alternate firing) order cams, and for how long?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Unless your build was pre 2010 summer season it was available its just some where not allowed to share info for the fact of being a non supporting vendor on here and a few reasons as well. Non Related to wanting to lend a helping hand.

If anyone has any further questions feel free to ask away.
How many alt fire cams do you have out there? How much power are they putting out? In another thread where you posted some videos of some of the trucks running your alt fire cams, I think I remember seeing Wes Kusilek's Cummins Killer. How long has he been running your cam? He's definitely putting some power to the ground.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
They told me he hasn't broke a crank since the alt firing cam when I was ordering mine last week and another guy I know daniel mooney said that it broadened his power curve and pulled a lot harder mid to top

Sent from a truck somewhere in the US

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
They told me he hasn't broke a crank since the alt firing cam when I was ordering mine last week and another guy I know daniel mooney said that it broadened his power curve and pulled a lot harder mid to top

I'm so happy to hear all this positive feedback about the AF cams:thumb:

The AF cams come with a higher lift profile than stock, so that makes sense that your buddy saw better power thru the mid and top end. I'd sure like to see a stock grind AF cam someday...I decided to stay with the stock CR in my build to try and compensate for the low end loss that is inherent with a higher profile cam, hopefully it works out like I want it to :baby:

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
I'm so happy to hear all this positive feedback about the AF cams:thumb:

The AF cams come with a higher lift profile than stock, so that makes sense that your buddy saw better power thru the mid and top end. I'd sure like to see a stock grind AF cam someday...I decided to stay with the stock CR in my build to try and compensate for the low end loss that is inherent with a higher profile cam, hopefully it works out like I want it to :baby:

This is in comparison to his previous built motor, he had a different cam in it. The broad power curve is better than typical aftermarket camshafts so you can make big power for a longer rpm range

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
whats the cost of a alt fire cam?

I'm paying $1200 for SoCal's 6480AF

This is in comparison to his previous built motor, he had a different cam in it. The broad power curve is better than typical aftermarket camshafts so you can make big power for a longer rpm range

Ah, ok, so you are saying that your friend is having better results with the AF cam, in same build or similar?

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
That's how I see it, especially when a normal cam is between 6-800 what's a couple extra hundred to save a expensive build. Empires is 1200 as well

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Is that with a modified harness or pigtail connectors for the injectors?

Nope, not that I'm aware of, I'm having ATP/Adrenaline performance do the build, I'm sure the wiring harness stuff will show up in the labor costs...:rolleyes:

I didn't see anything there and 1200 is a lot of $$$
I don't know where you'd go to find it, I got mine through Dustin @ ATP:thumb:

Everything about these trucks is a lot of money. In the big scheme of things considering what it takes to build a truck $1200 to help save yourself from a major engine failure isn't much.
Take that to church:hug:
I was going to have to use (and wanted to anyways) a new cam, so the extra few hundred dollars didn't seem like much when the reasons for and results of using an AF cam are so great, few hundred extra bucks into a 20k build...:rolleyes:

That's how I see it, especially when a normal cam is between 6-800 what's a couple extra hundred to save a expensive build. Empires is 1200 as well

:)
:thumb:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Everything about these trucks is a lot of money. In the big scheme of things considering what it takes to build a truck $1200 to help save yourself from a major engine failure isn't much.

for my goals ill probably take my chances 1200 may as well be 12000 right now with what I already spent with this already with new pumps rods pistons injectors turbo+piping valve springs screew in cups ect ect im pretty well broke:roflmao: if they were under 1k I may be more interested but well see :D

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
for my goals ill probably take my chances 1200 may as well be 12000 right now with what I already spent with this already with new pumps rods pistons injectors turbo+piping valve springs screew in cups ect ect im pretty well broke:roflmao: if they were under 1k I may be more interested but well see :D

Considering how many people haven't broken their cranks I'd say don't let it worry you.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
Hearing some horror stories about some peoples builds breaking cranks only a few thousand miles into it was enough justification for me to sell my cam and get ahold of empire. Even though it's a rare occasion for them to break that fast, was still enough since I broke my crank at the 4th main which is more uncommon than the snout breaking off at the front. Even people that have girdled the bottom end have still had it happen. It was a red flag in my book

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
I'm sure if someone has everyone would know about that. And if one hasn't yet mine will be the first because that's my luck lol. Hot rodders in the gasser world with high hp BBC's swear by doing a 4-7 cam swap they see a lot less wear on main bearings after a season