Who is running AF (alternate firing) order cams, and for how long?

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
How many alt fire cams do you have out there? How much power are they putting out? In another thread where you posted some videos of some of the trucks running your alt fire cams, I think I remember seeing Wes Kusilek's Cummins Killer. How long has he been running your cam? He's definitely putting some power to the ground.

As much as I would like to share what every customer of ours is running I can not do that. Yes they are making some very good power and have been for quite some time.

I didn't see anything there and 1200 is a lot of $$$

http://empiredieselperformance.com/...-camshaft-w-alternated-firing-order-epe-cam66

They told me he hasn't broke a crank since the alt firing cam when I was ordering mine last week and another guy I know daniel mooney said that it broadened his power curve and pulled a lot harder mid to top

Sent from a truck somewhere in the US

This is in comparison to his previous built motor, he had a different cam in it. The broad power curve is better than typical aftermarket camshafts so you can make big power for a longer rpm range

Guys are still breaking cranks while running these cams.

I completely understand, and I'm a little suspicious that changing the firing order can totally cure the broken crank issues as well. However, there seems to be a real improvement in real world use, and Fingers' computer simulations shows that the firing order most of these alt. fire cams are running does alleviate some stress on the crank. I'd really like to hear more about the failures that were running the alt. fire cam. I know EDP had a couple of different versions, and there are more factors involved in a broken crank than what a firing order swap can fix. Saying they are still breaking does nothing to help address the issue. All it does is make people doubt it even helps. To really be helpful the builders who are seeing failures should share their findings. I never have understood why people don't want to work together to fix a real problem.

Keep in mind the Profile of the cam is going to be the end result of the performance gains. You might get a cam to show real good peak hp but the overall average of the RPM curve is what our cams are designed to obtain in all types of situations from street tow setups to all out competition. The Alt Fire Cam main purpose behind it is to help with the crank shaft issues and concerns. As I stated in previous posts on the engine dyno profile to profile match main things we noticed was the ability to run larger exhaust housing on the that particular engine dyno session as well as more RPM. The all around sound was a noticeable difference. Right out of the gates it seemed as if the motor was free and wanting to run.

We have been selling these cam shafts for a few years now from street trucks all the way up to all out competition and to my knowledge we have had ZERO crank shaft failures. We do not think this is the magic behind the eight ball for that in our opinion there is many issues and concerns with the duramax and its bottom end strength. This is just a helper in the equation for that a few of us that have run into issues after the cam install was breaking of the blocks. Two years ago at Scheid's with our 3.0 truck we left the line at 6,000 rpm and broke the top 1/4" of the block Crank Rod Piston cam all checked out fine. Now this was 1400hp plus on a single 3.0 charger and in extreme abuse conditions. It called Motorsports and Racing fix one weak link find the next and nobody wants to share there facts and findings to give the competition an upper hand. For that we have customers in the 3.0 area knocking on the 1600+ area two years later and now holding together just fine.

Now DO NOT take this the wrong way for that the old saying you can lead a horse the water for that improper machining and assembly of a motor at any point in time can throw a broken crank into the picture real quick even after running an Alt Fire cam shaft.

Hope this helps, and for being vague in the past was soley due to the fact of protecting our selves and our investment and time on the topic. We are currently in the process of talking to Kat on becoming a supporting vendor so we will have more ability to help inform on the topic as well as many others in the future. :thumb:

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
I'm ready for my cam and wiring harness to come back from you guys and finally hear this motor start up with the cam and oval chambers knowing that I was going to have a more broad power curve was a big seller to me after all that's what we all want isn't it?

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
I'd be curious to know if the cranks are breaking in the same typical spot or whether the alternate firing cam is breaking in a different spot.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Someone posted earlier saying there were still cranks breaking?

As EDP pointed out, Cranks break for numbers of reasons, just cuz there may be a report of a broken crank in a build that utilized an AF cam, doesn't mean that the failure was due to stress from the firing order...:rolleyes:

And cuz I'm all high on the cool aid I drank, I'm just going with the hope that it won't happen to me... :angel:

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
Unless your build was pre 2010 summer season it was available its just some where not allowed to share info for the fact of being a non supporting vendor on here and a few reasons as well. Non Related to wanting to lend a helping hand.

If anyone has any further questions feel free to ask away.

Is there anything you'd like to share about the AF cams that has not been addressed yet?

How many alt fire cams do you have out there? How much power are they putting out? In another thread where you posted some videos of some of the trucks running your alt fire cams, I think I remember seeing Wes Kusilek's Cummins Killer. How long has he been running your cam? He's definitely putting some power to the ground.

I hope EDP steps in soon so clear this up.

I really don't want to believe that cranks have broken with the new alt firing cam.

I also don't want to take a risk on a stock cam breaking my crank after all the money I'm putting into my engine to build it.

Sorry guys we are NO longer allowed to post any information on the topic for that it has ruffled some feathers of a certain couple select individuals that where upset with FACTS and Truth and are concerned about the mighty $ at the end of the day rather then taking care of customers with information and knowledge. Sad that a Forum is suppose to be based on information comes down to this. Feel free to use the almighty google for that we are not going away we just wont be on forums like this.

Diesel Hotrodder

Truck: 05 GMC EC/SB 2500HD
Engine: Duramax LLY
Transmission: Automatic
Default Vendor status.
At this time, we are sorry but are not going allow you vendor status.

The staff votes privately on Vendor apps, (Rob, Kat & I don't vote), and there was some negative feedback.

Feel free to apply again in the future. Probably about the end of the year. Things change.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
I would like to know what negative feedback you guys got lol because my builder (S&S performance) speaks nothing but highly of your products

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
If i had to guess, an already paying vendor has plans to come out with an AF cam soon, so DD doesnt want to let any new competition come on board and step on any already existing vendors toes.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Lets not jump to conclusions and blame other vendors for having a hand in that. We all know how how cliques work. EDP isn't in with this sites staff I guess.

I have never seen that EDP has had much of a presence on forums anyways. So don't act like this is some big change.

Sent from a ditch being dug near you using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Lets not jump to conclusions and blame other vendors for having a hand in that. We all know how how cliques work. EDP isn't in with this sites staff I guess.

I have never seen that EDP has had much of a presence on forums anyways. So don't act like this is some big change.

Sent from a ditch being dug near you using Tapatalk

Has nothing to do with any sort of clique. It was a business decision mostly.
As said pretty much no complaints from anyone about the products or services EDP provides that I have seen. Those usually are the primary reasons the administration would pull or deny a vendor. Not the case here.
We usually try to add vendors that supply new and innovative products (not gimmicks) no matter what part of the world they are from so long as they don't cause problems.

Personally, I like some of the products they sell. AF cam being one. I believe Socal has one as well-didn't see it on their site though. Not sure on pricing for either but I am interested.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

BHoward6.6

West Coast
Feb 9, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
Just a feedback thread about the alternate firing order cams, who's running them, at what power level, for how long....

I'll be having a SoCal 6480 AF cam installed in my upcoming build and I know there are several others who will be doing the same, with many more watching and waiting, so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread as a focal point for AF cams

Please discuss your experience:D

Thanks

Jason

SoCal recently rebuilt my motor with a couple of changes. One going from a 6480 cam to a 6480 AF. The other changes, going from 70% over LBZ injectors to 80% LMM's and from a 4094avnt to a Danville 72.
So far I have 400 miles on the motor, same tunes. The power level so far has been maybe around 500~600 but should do 900 on the big tune.
The 2 things I have noticed are how smooth the motor is, I have MA motor mounts and I can't feel the engine run, very smooth.
The other one is the sound, it sounds different, deeper tone.