Which Turbocharger is right for me?

brandy

My other truck
Apr 15, 2007
Wisconsin
aluminum pipe

I have built cold air intakes out of aluminum, I would have built this one out of Aluminum but I wanted to ceramic coat the inside and out of it to keep the engine heat off of the pipe and out of the motor. The intake pipe is not heavy at all. If you would like I could find out where my parts house got the Aluminum bends from. Aluminum intakes do look cool. I will post pics. of mine after I get it coated. Good luck with yours, I hope that it turns out well.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
I have built cold air intakes out of aluminum, I would have built this one out of Aluminum but I wanted to ceramic coat the inside and out of it to keep the engine heat off of the pipe and out of the motor. The intake pipe is not heavy at all. If you would like I could find out where my parts house got the Aluminum bends from. Aluminum intakes do look cool. I will post pics. of mine after I get it coated. Good luck with yours, I hope that it turns out well.

If you do not mind that would be nice. Eventaully I want to do the boost tubes and intake up pipe with butterfly air shut off in it. But right now I just need to get it running!:rofl:

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
On the first elbow right outside of the turbo, how did you get it to fit into that TINY space? It looks like you had to do some beating on it to flatten it out a little to get it in there?
I TRIED tigging up an elbow out of some 4" alum irrigation pipe we had laying around but I didnt do much measuring, just laid out a 3 piece 90 and welded it up----it didnt fit in there without having to do some major beating on it so I gave up.
The silicone boot would suck shut on me on WOT---its a scary feeling. I ended up cutting about a 6" piece of the 4" pipe and shoving it inside the silicone boot all the way down into the elbow as far as I could get it to go and put a couple of hose clamps on it (just in case). The blue silicone boot doesnt look nearly as nice as Brandy's steel tube or the aluminum one I had dreamed up but it works! At least it isnt sucking shut on me anymore.
My winter project is to try and weld up another alum 90 THAT FITS.

brandy

My other truck
Apr 15, 2007
Wisconsin
Yes I did have to dent in the pipe on the first 90 to clear the upper radiator pipe. I did not have to dent it in very far though. In fact I dented it in more that I needed to. When I get it off in the next week or so I will post a pic so you can see just the pipe.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
This is what I made I came up with for an intake tube for my truck. It is made out of 4'' exhaust pipe. I used 2 90 deg. and 1 45 deg. bends. It took about 3 to 4 hours to make and tig weld. I have to get it ceremic coated yet. Just a little info. about my install--- I cut the EGR pipe off of the Rt. side pipe and welded a cap on it. I installed a LB7 intake manifold on my LLY and removed all of the EGR stuff. I relocated the boost sensor to the new intake pipe, that gave me more room in the front of the motor for the intake pipe. I had the turbo pedestal and down pipe ceramic coated. I also wrapped the down pipe in header wrap.

Great job!!!! Looks just like mine...

Dan

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
brandy 383, what is connecting the pipe to the turbo? just a pipe clamp? or is there a rubber boot of some sort inbetween

myojunk

member #4
Aug 6, 2006
Cadiz, Ky
how about something like this for the bigger turbo kits? looks like they already have the means to make an item of this nature.

Attachments

• turbo-inlet-pipe.jpg
    turbo-inlet-pipe.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
That was like three months ago..!..

I hope you're not in here looking for parts to add to the new truck.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
You will have to custom fab an intake for this. It is a 2.988" inducer. It has a smaller version which is the 4294, with a 2.8x dia inducer. I need to get a harder measurement on the inducer as I lost my notes, but IIRC, it's 2.8 legal without a restrictor.

Pat I measured my 4294 and the inducer is 2.76" or 70.3mm
exducer is on this turbo 3.70" or 94.0mm

Just a FWIW:) I have some more specs on it if anyone needs them