Which Turbocharger is right for me?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I get dozens of calls a week concerning this question, and the answer is based on what your goals are for your truck.

If all out racing is what you desire, the PPE GT4202R is the ticket. It's water-cooled, ball-bearing, and ungated. It's currently the bad boy on the block, and no other retail single charger kit will push air like it can. It's not for everyone, since it trades low RPM performance for high RPM performance. If you move up all your shift points it will work even for towing, but if you don't, it will struggle at low RPM. You will have to custom fab an intake for this. It is a 2.988" inducer. It has a smaller version which is the 4294, with a 2.8x dia inducer. I need to get a harder measurement on the inducer as I lost my notes, but IIRC, it's 2.8 legal without a restrictor.

But most guys are actually looking for something in the middle.

And there are three choices I recommend:

PPE GT4088R - This will push enough air to put a light truck into the 11's on fuel with 2CP3's. It is also a very good tow charger. It is water-cooled and ball bearing and ungated. No customer complaints yet, and no failures. Custom intake fabrication might be necessary. It's a 2.538" inducer, which is 2.5 legal.

PPE GT4094R - This has a bigger compressor than the 4088, and will make more boost at higher RPM without giving up too much low RPM performance. It is a good towing charger, and a good racing charger. It is water-cooled and ball-bearing and ungated. No customer complaints and no failures. Custom intake fab might be necessary. It is a 2.707" inducer.

High Tech Turbo Promax - This is an S300 based charger that is journal bearing, oil-cooled, and wastegated. It is a very good all-around charger for towing and racing. It comes with an adapter to hook up the intake, and is very complete. No customer complaints, but one failure that was not the charger's fault. It is a 2.654" inducer.

All four of these do their job well, and there is not a "best", just differences in sizes, smallest to biggest:

HTT

All of these chargers are 11 second capable with a dual fueler, and mid to low 12 capable with a single CP3. The bigger it gets, the less towable it becomes.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Pat do you think the gt 4088 with dual fuelers would burn all the fuel or do you think it would smoke pretty bad?

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
I dont know about with a auto but In my experience if your gonna tow more than 10 k with the 4094 egts are a constant issue under 2700 rpms!

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Is there any kind of mods you have to do to the intake to bolt a gt4088 onto a lb7?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe you will need a 90 deg. silicone boot to connect it. I know this is true for atleast the LLY's

I will double check with Pat and let you know if it is different.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
One of customers is going to post some of pic's of the intake he fab'd up.

He said it wasn't very hard to do. So hopefully he will do it soon:D

brandy

My other truck
Apr 15, 2007
Wisconsin
4094 intake tubing

This is what I made I came up with for an intake tube for my truck. It is made out of 4'' exhaust pipe. I used 2 90 deg. and 1 45 deg. bends. It took about 3 to 4 hours to make and tig weld. I have to get it ceremic coated yet. Just a little info. about my install--- I cut the EGR pipe off of the Rt. side pipe and welded a cap on it. I installed a LB7 intake manifold on my LLY and removed all of the EGR stuff. I relocated the boost sensor to the new intake pipe, that gave me more room in the front of the motor for the intake pipe. I had the turbo pedestal and down pipe ceramic coated. I also wrapped the down pipe in header wrap.

Attachments

• tur.jpg
    tur.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 719

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
This is what I made I came up with for an intake tube for my truck. It is made out of 4'' exhaust pipe. I used 2 90 deg. and 1 45 deg. bends. It took about 3 to 4 hours to make and tig weld. I have to get it ceremic coated yet. Just a little info. about my install--- I cut the EGR pipe off of the Rt. side pipe and welded a cap on it. I installed a LB7 intake manifold on my LLY and removed all of the EGR stuff. I relocated the boost sensor to the new intake pipe, that gave me more room in the front of the motor for the intake pipe. I had the turbo pedestal and down pipe ceramic coated. I also wrapped the down pipe in header wrap.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa

Nice!

Where did you get your bends? I have been trying to find 4" U bends with no luck.

brandy

My other truck
Apr 15, 2007
Wisconsin
bends

I bought them from Federated auto parts. I you do not have a Federated near you then you could also go to NAPA. Not so cheap to buy 4'' but well worth it. They go for $35 - $55 per bend.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
I bought them from Federated auto parts. I you do not have a Federated near you then you could also go to NAPA. Not so cheap to buy 4'' but well worth it. They go for $35 - $55 per bend.

Thank You!

I missed the part about that being steel.:rofl: I am looking for aluminuim bends.