Whats your Favorite Tire For Racing

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Im looking for a new set of tires for daily driving and the track for the summer time. I wanted to see what every one prefered. and what sizes Thank You

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
We have run 3 that are very good daily driver racing tires:

Yokohama AVS S/T 275/60-17 - Cut low 1.7's and lots of mid 1.7's. 30" dia
BFG KDW 285/60-18 First tires we ran on Casper. Could not support over 650HP predictably. 1.6's with lots of spin. 32" dai
Toyo Proxies S/T 305/60-18 Good and sticky, went low 1.6's, but are heavy at 33.5" dia.

You can't go wrong with any of these. Proxies would perhaps get my vote as best.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Thanks pat would you say the 305/60/18 would be good for me or a smalle tire? some say i should go to a smaller tire some say not. so im a little confused dont wana make the wrong choice. )

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
305's might not fit without help.

285's are the biggest I could fit without rubbing.

275's are smaller DIA, which lowers weight, lowers air resistance, and if you're doing second gear launches, uses your gearing more effectively.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
left fielder here ....

you guys are all runnin 4x. how would i go about launchin a 2wd reg cab long bed with minimal wheel spin.

this scenario can 'splain how bad it is. it uses a quadzilla s2 programmer for a tuner. everything else stock except for exhaust. with the 110 tune in, it will bark the end of first, smoke all the way thru second and part of third. this is with NO boosted launch. anything boosted over 1200 r's will burn thru most of third. it has 245/75 - 16 on it now, e rated and the truck had about 1200 lbs in the bed at the time

. if i wanna keep the 16" wheels, what tire size and make would help traction other than slicks. something i can use as a dd as well as at the track.

spring clamps gonna make much of a difference for me?? fewer springs?? lower it?? weight is the enemy here but it seems as if it almost helps. i've never run it empty but i'm thinkin traction would be an even worse problem if i did..

thx

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Depends on how much you are willing to sacrifice as to what traction is possible.

You could reduce the # of rear leafs, put CalTracs on, and use air bags for heavy loads. This will keep the rear soft when you want it, and allow you to dial it up for towing or loads.

Tires? Wide and soft. Factory rims are narrow, so you are limited unless you are willing to swap rims. Basically you will want to run the kinds of tires listed above, the bigger the better, and to launch in 2nd gear.

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Depends on how much you are willing to sacrifice as to what traction is possible.

You could reduce the # of rear leafs, put CalTracs on, and use air bags for heavy loads. This will keep the rear soft when you want it, and allow you to dial it up for towing or loads.

have to look at that. truck gets used for haulin quite a bit, so i need the load capacity. i know casper has fewer leaves. is it also runnin bags??

Tires? Wide and soft. Factory rims are narrow, so you are limited unless you are willing to swap rims.

how wide? 8"? 8.5"? bigger??? something light, i know that. does that mean keepin it 16"??

Basically you will want to run the kinds of tires listed above, the bigger the better, and to launch in 2nd gear.

if its an auto, how do i lock it out of first?? is there tuning for the tcm that will do that?? if so, can it be somehow hooked to a racing tune on a dsp switch so it will automatically lock out first when racing??

like i said, i'm not even runnin a big tune and traction is already an issue. just trying to figure out whats the best way to overcome that since i dont have the option of 4x and cant run slicks on a dd...

thanks for the help, btw.... :)

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
let me ask this for those who have tried it. if i drop the truck ~5" in the back, what size tire (slick) could i concievebly stuff in there that wouldn't rub the fender lip or fenderwell?? to my eye those looked like the two biggest restrictions in space and if lowered its gonna have to fit since it'll most likely be tucked.

seems to me that the variances in a slicks tread width to sidewall width is quite a bit larger than that of a similar sized street tire.... if that makes sense to anyone... :D that would mean less tread/footprint width when runnin a slick than when runnin a street tire. someone please correct me if i'm wrong, this is only how i've seen it.

thanks again

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Im looking for a new set of tires for daily driving and the track for the summer time. I wanted to see what every one prefered. and what sizes Thank You

round tires

square,
octaganal
triangles

they dont work to well... oo one more thing got to hold air as well that is essential right there.. mmm hmm ;)

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
2wd I say slicks just like everyone else. 4WD daily driver I run falken stz-01's. They are great so far, and im running 286/60/17s with no traction issues. My buddy who works at les schwab runs the proxes but im a broke ass and he suggested these as they are a very good alternative and they are only $110 a tire MSRP! and mike you realize when a radial tire gets hot they actually grip worse haha. bias ply totally different but radials are made to operate at certain temps-heat puts them out of the optimal traction range.

Last edited:

vortecfcar

No longer a member
Jun 28, 2007
and mike you realize when a radial tire gets hot they actually grip worse haha. bias ply totally different but radials are made to operate at certain temps-heat puts them out of the optimal traction range.

I disagree. I don't think sidewall construction correlates to optimal heat range of the rubber compound. It really depends on what kind of compound you're running. Some like exta heat and burnouts, some get greasy and slip.

Nick

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I disagree. I don't think sidewall construction correlates to optimal heat range of the rubber compound. It really depends on what kind of compound you're running. Some like exta heat and burnouts, some get greasy and slip.

Nick

Every tire guy I have ever talked to has told me the same thing. From people who have raced pro street to diesel stuff. Also from alot of my friends who make their livings as tire gurus. There are alot of guys cutting 1.6xx 60's in 4WD on street tires, no burnouts as the tires usually perform worse and spin more.