What makes a Ford engine tick

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If you can tolerate Gale Banks, here is an interesting breakdown of one of Ford's earlier in house built diesel engines

Looks very complicated to me. Does seem to contain some interesting technology, even if it only gives it a modest boost in power

Source: https://youtu.be/Nv76dymkYUI

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I've already torn into a couple 6.7L, not by choice.. Seen one with 4 Injector hold downs snapped off a 2012. Seems that might have something to do with injectors flying out..

Overall I really like the reverse flow heads, and a quick turbo change and tune puts you well over 600HP at the rear wheels.. Mine towed the 17k lb Duramax boat around like it wasn't even attached. It actually bagged me a stop light to stop light against a jacked up, fuel up, and stacked 7.3L owned by a diesel tech.. I thought he was trying to get a better look a the back of the boat.. Guess he was matted the whole time.

So yeah, I'm a 6.7 guy... LOL

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I wonder why GM ditched development of their reverse flow heads. Seems like there could be some benefits. Must have not delivered enough improvement over the traditional design. And as Gale mentioned, possible delay in getting the air in the cylinders due to the longer intake trac. Doesn't seem like it would considering that it's already pretty long with the intercooler and all

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not watching Mr talkshitonpeoplefortheveiws but that rockers in those engines are junk, worse external oiling system than a cummins, early turbos are junk, and still got a cp4 that likes to literally explode. Probably more I’m forgetting.

I swear the Duramax is the only engine that knows how to keep the oil inside of itself

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Not watching Mr talkshitonpeoplefortheveiws but that rockers in those engines are junk, worse external oiling system than a cummins, early turbos are junk, and still got a cp4 that likes to literally explode. Probably more I’m forgetting.

I swear the Duramax is the only engine that knows how to keep the oil inside of itself

Oh man does old Gale have some serious nut monkeys. Video comments are always full of how he's the God to diesel engines and he's the only guy who can make power

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Not to mention his tuning is terrible and his components are actually dangerous to use.
I don't personally agree with this. Their 6.7L intake horn is a great piece and solves a very real issue. I think many of their hard parts are actually quite good but they do carry that "Banks tax" that I don't think they really deserve.

Reactions: countrycorey

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I was thinking about posting the video here after seeing it this weekend. Figure this is the response I would get. And the fact that it's a 10 year old motor now probably not anything groundbreaking in his video. I feel like the reverse flow of the baby durmax was a better design. I have to go back and see if I can find some more information on it. That ford sure puts a lot of heat right around the intake though...

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I was thinking about posting the video here after seeing it this weekend. Figure this is the response I would get. And the fact that it's year old motor now probably not anything groundbreaking in his video. I feel like the reverse flow of the baby durmax was a better design. I have to go back and see if I can find some more information on it. That ford sure puts a lot of heat right around the intake though...
I thought he said it was 10 years old now.

And I thought ford abandoned the dual flow turbo idea and went back to a single like everyone else.

I agree about the baby Duramax on the reverse flow. Especially with the way the L5P is sticking the catalyst right behind the turbo. The reverse flow would keep even more heat in it and improve the cat function even more

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I don't personally agree with this. Their 6.7L intake horn is a great piece and solves a very real issue. I think many of their hard parts are actually quite good but they do carry that "Banks tax" that I don't think they really deserve.

I had one of his 6 gun tuners try to kill me. It set a crank position code and shut down my truck in heavy traffic in a major intersection. I had to remove the 6 gun from the truck to get it to start again. Only good thing I can say is I got a full refund from them.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I thought he said it was 10 years old now.

And I thought ford abandoned the dual flow turbo idea and went back to a single like everyone else.

I agree about the baby Duramax on the reverse flow. Especially with the way the L5P is sticking the catalyst right behind the turbo. The reverse flow would keep even more heat in it and improve the cat function even more

They did, I think either 14 or 17 got the reg turbo

As for heat, that ain’t the issue for the doc. The part that would benefit from more heat is the dpf, scr, and ammonia catch. Regens would start faster, wasting less diesel and def. That’s why the 3.0 Dmax has all of that basically right after the turbo

Reactions: 2004LB7

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I had one of his 6 gun tuners try to kill me. It set a crank position code and shut down my truck in heavy traffic in a major intersection. I had to remove the 6 gun from the truck to get it to start again. Only good thing I can say is I got a full refund from them.
The Edge Juice w/Attitudes used to do the same thing. Didn’t set codes but would get hot and shut down. Never while driving, usually after sitting at a light as you began to accelerate, truck would shut down. Of course you had to get under the hood to unplug it. That happened to 3 of mine before getting rid of it. Always replaced for free though.

Reactions: Bdsankey