What did you do at work today?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
One of my managers found this hidden in an old desk last week. I can remember giving these away back in the late '80s/early '90s when our air service was "taking off". So this little airplane is about 30-35 years old. :LOL:

I happened to notice it on a shelf in the office this morning and asked if I could have it. I just think its cool. I love planes, too....so thats a bonus.View attachment 110044View attachment 110043

that is awesome. I had a (gasp) FedEx plane when I was little. it was a toy but still loved it

660catman

May 18, 2021
I’m retired so I help out on my BIL’s farm. This is what I was doing
958322703b16e31f23a9fc2a3fda4306.jpg

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You can never have too many chains on those things. Other then ease of loading and unloading, is there a reason they don't lay them on their side so they don't roll so easy?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
You can never have too many chains on those things. Other then ease of loading and unloading, is there a reason they don't lay them on their side so they don't roll so easy?
Mainly moving them... while on the side trying to lift them, you run the risk of "ice cream coming" the coil. Either center pulls out or the outer pulls out either way it's a time consuming mess to fix.

that coil was ~40,000lbs had 7 chains on it after the picture..

What you can barely see is the coil rack and cribbing that keeps the coil from rolling...
The coil does not actually touch the deck itself.. you make a cradle with coil racks and hard wood mainly oak with a beveled edge that faces the coil.. if need be, can through rubber strips to increase friction between everything. Mainly between coil and rack and rack and trailer.

The company buys "scrap/damaged " coils and slits/cuts them down to smaller useable widths/length for short-run or small volume customers.

90% of what I haul is "finished goods" product ready to be delivered to end consumer.

99% of that product is laid sideways on skids. With skid weighing generally sub 5000lbs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230313-194632-100.png
    Screenshot_20230313-194632-100.png
    482.4 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: gmc502 and 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Mainly moving them... while on the side trying to lift them, you run the risk of "ice cream coming" the coil. Either center pulls out or the outer pulls out either way it's a time consuming mess to fix.

that coil was ~40,000lbs had 7 chains on it after the picture..

What you can barely see is the coil rack and cribbing that keeps the coil from rolling...
The coil does not actually touch the deck itself.. you make a cradle with coil racks and hard wood mainly oak with a beveled edge that faces the coil.. if need be, can through rubber strips to increase friction between everything. Mainly between coil and rack and rack and trailer.

The company buys "scrap/damaged " coils and slits/cuts them down to smaller useable widths/length for short-run or small volume customers.

90% of what I haul is "finished goods" product ready to be delivered to end consumer.

99% of that product is laid sideways on skids. With skid weighing generally sub 5000lbs
That makes sense. Didn't think about the middle falling out the bottom if not handled right when laid on it's side. Would be a nightmare if that thing came undone. That cradle with a bunch of chains and binders, I guess, is the best way to go

Slightly different note. It always bothers me when I see people strap or chain down a heavy load buy crossing them over to the other side like an "X" with no other straps. Strapped that way has little tip over resistance. It looks great to the uneducated but when you think about it, it is dangerous. Best from the same side corner/edge and down like this /□\, and not this ⛝

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Slightly different note. It always bothers me when I see people strap or chain down a heavy load buy crossing them over to the other side like an "X" with no other straps. Strapped that way has little tip over resistance. It looks great to the uneducated but when you think about it, it is dangerous. Best from the same side corner/edge and down like this /□\, and not this ⛝
Generally I agree.

Pending the width of the coil I'll run the chains front to rear without crossing.. personally don't like the chains within 3-4" of the edge.. you actually bow the coil when tightening.
With a 40k coil the trailer flexs ~8" ina. Static position.. more down the road..
I can only tighten a chain Soo much..
I've seen pictures where the trailer flexed and loosened a chain and it slipped off.. that's worse situation..

Having the X pattern also pinches the center to help keep the center from vibrating sideways and ice cream coning that way.

Also can only run Soo many chains through the center of the coil.
Personally don't like more than 6 gets rather crowded..

Reactions: 2004LB7

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
That makes sense. Didn't think about the middle falling out the bottom if not handled right when laid on it's side. Would be a nightmare if that thing came undone. That cradle with a bunch of chains and binders, I guess, is the best way to go

Crossing the chains is about stability side to side or tie down points. Those are bigger concerns. You have to know your center of gravity. I rarely felt like tipping is an issue on loads I've hauled. A coil is just about NEVER going to tip over.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Crossing the chains is about stability side to side or tie down points. Those are bigger concerns. You have to know your center of gravity. I rarely felt like tipping is an issue on loads I've hauled. A coil is just about NEVER going to tip over.
Understood. I wasn't really referring to the coil with that method. And it was more about only using that crossover method with nothing else that is not a good idea

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I couldn't find any photos of exactly what I'm trying to describe but this one should convey the idea. While cars are not really too top heavy and thus not really at risk of tipping over under most situations, if it was a top heavy load this would be a bad idea. If you follow the arc, that the corners the straps are attached too, the vehicle would take when tipping over it's really close in line with the straps. The straps don't get pulled harder when the load tips. Infact it looks like they may get looser. You would need to remedy this with additional straps that are run at each end down and not across

c0d37fe8-b0ec-4da5-a34e-9ae3d5b82c14~01.jpg

Reactions: PureHybrid

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
If that coil is tipped over... 99.9% so is the trailer and most likely the truck lol I've haul tall skinny coils and you run a chain in a belly wrap style with the cross through the center.. pending OD/weighr anything less than 20" is on its side

Last edited:

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Nope, those are the two zero miles LML's converted to LMM fueling. Build started before ya could tune a LML.

One starts and runs. Other one needed some wiring and PS hooked up. Hope to see it on water early July.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Nope, those are the two zero miles LML's converted to LMM fueling. Build started before ya could tune a LML.

One starts and runs. Other one needed some wiring and PS hooked up. Hope to see it on water early July.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Why not LBZ fueling? Or was the DPF still needed?