What are the Leading Causes.....

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The only place I can think of where fuel could leak into the crank case on an LLY is if it was somehow leaking out of the CP3.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
The only place I can think of where fuel could leak into the crank case on an LLY is if it was somehow leaking out of the CP3.

Josh he just finished doing HG's. And the injectors were dirty when we were talking and Shawn cleaned them up so might be something there also.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
will try to get screen shots of the balances rates tonight or mid morning tomorrow. When I fires the truck back up from doing the HG's the balances rates varied from +/- 1-2. But I will double check this and get some screen shots. Just a little more information, every now and then I can get like a heavy grease odor while driving but can't place where its coming from as I can't smell it once the truck is shut off.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Sorry the delay this morning guys, Interviews seem to take longer and longer these days! LOL See the attached images for the balance rates

Attachments

• Balance Rates in Park 10_14_2010.png
    Balance Rates in Park 10_14_2010.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Balance Rates in Drive 10_14_2010.png
    Balance Rates in Drive 10_14_2010.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 17

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's

I like this, pushed the front seal out of the pump?! If it was a leaking injector there would be a lot of noise and smoke when started.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
I like this, pushed the front seal out of the pump?! If it was a leaking injector there would be a lot of noise and smoke when started.

What type of noise? I have NO smoke at startup. Is the seal you speak of a serviceable part or is it just replace the CP3?

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I would say cp3 input shaft seal also. If you where getting it from the injectors the engine would knock on start up or all the time, because the injector leaked fuel into the cylinder. How much fuel are you talking about?

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
I would say cp3 input shaft seal also. If you where getting it from the injectors the engine would knock on start up or all the time, because the injector leaked fuel into the cylinder. How much fuel are you talking about?

enough to notice on the dip stick (not really sure how to quantify the amount) and the oil has more of a smell of bearing grease more so than oil. There seems to be knock while running but it sound like its coming from #1 which doesn't look to be of concern in the balance rates posted above, right?

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Are you sure its fuel? Not coolant? drop a drop of oil on a white piece of paper and see if you get a light ring of tan around the center drop of black, that would be fuel. How far up the dip stick would help quantify an estimated amount.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Are you sure its fuel? Not coolant? drop a drop of oil on a white piece of paper and see if you get a light ring of tan around the center drop of black, that would be fuel. How far up the dip stick would help quantify an estimated amount.

Oil isn't dark yet, however it does have a green tint to it and a funny smell.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I would change the oil again, sounds like maybe you still have some residual contamination from the H G job??? Watch the oil level real close to see if it is growing.

What kind of oil are you using? It shouldn't smell like gear oil.

I would still try the paper towel trick even though the oil isn't dark, you should still see the fuel soak out away from the drop of oil very quickly.