Water to air i.c. D.d. Possible?

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
...If you're gonna drive everything off conservation of energy you might as well stop driving your truck. Energy is lost every time a piston cycles, whether it's from heat soak through the block, friction, and the list goes on...

Conservation of energy is not the same as reducing energy consumption.

You can't lose energy. It cannot be created or destroyed.

bonescarolfi

Sep 3, 2008
Marshfield WI
Long story short is if its a DD leave the air to air in there. I could see a water to air as a secondary cooler with a ice box in the bed for when you do take it to the track but without the ice its not worth the money on a street truck. Especially when GM already put a perfectly good air to air in there from the factory. And if you take a quick look at the parts needed to support between 600 and 1000 hp its a lot more than 500 bucks. Its $500 just for a big enough intercooler from frozenboost. That little $500 kit they have wouldn't cut it. Don't have to try it to realize there won't be the gains in performance to justify the money.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Long story short is if its a DD leave the air to air in there. I could see a water to air as a secondary cooler with a ice box in the bed for when you do take it to the track but without the ice its not worth the money on a street truck. Especially when GM already put a perfectly good air to air in there from the factory. And if you take a quick look at the parts needed to support between 600 and 1000 hp its a lot more than 500 bucks. Its $500 just for a big enough intercooler from frozenboost. That little $500 kit they have wouldn't cut it. Don't have to try it to realize there won't be the gains in performance to justify the money.

This makes sense.

The point of all of these one-shot performance adders (NOS, water/air intercoolers, etc) are to give you a momentary burst of power.

You're basically "storing" some energy (in ice/cold water in this case) to be used at a point in time when you need as much as possible. It's akin to winding up a big spring and then letting it out at one point in time. You don't gain efficiency overall, you just have the ability to "let it all out at once".

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Daaaaang just got done droppin an engine, transmission, transfer case and both driveshafts into a truck and check the phone to see you boys blowing it up lol, welp someone always going to be smarter, I'm sorry I started this thread because the only real way to learn anything is from doing it yourself i guess instead of asking someone to quote wikipedia about how it will or wont work, guess I need to just delete this app so I can keep my thoughts in my head through out the day in the field haha, thanks for your time gentlemen.

2011 Ferd F-teenthousand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get upset because everyone didn't blindly jump on board with your idea. Honestly, this isn't the first time I've seen someone propose a W/A on a DD and these guys were way more helpful with information on why it might not be a good idea. At the end of the day though, it's your money, waste it how you want. :thumb:

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
I could see it working on the street with the right setup. It would need a good cooler, enough water, probably a fan etc. But at some point there is a fair amount of added weight and complexity (more things to quit). I think it would be cool to do! but maybe not really work it....