Water to air i.c. D.d. Possible?

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
I wonder I you could run water/meth just through the system (not going into the engine, only thru the w/a ic)? It would stay a lot cooler than water I would think and it wouldn't freeze in the winter..

Why would water/meth stay cooler than just water? :confused:

Other than cool factor, (which I'm a fan of) :D A water/air on a dd doesn't add any sizable benefit over a good air/air once the water has gotten up to ambient. Unless you have some means of keeping the water colder than ambient I don't see the point. Unless you plan on filling it up every day with ice or I'm missing something...

Although the nice benefit would be having it on there so you could fill it up with ice when you wanted to make the extra power...til the ice melts.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I still believe plumbing the ac through a small W/A intercooler after the CAC would work wonders. The AC is a heat extraction system anyhow. Why not use it? It wouldn't even need another radiator or fluid system. I'll probably be doing exactly that after my next deployment.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
I still believe plumbing the ac through a small W/A intercooler after the CAC would work wonders. The AC is a heat extraction system anyhow. Why not use it? It wouldn't even need another radiator or fluid system. I'll probably be doing exactly that after my next deployment.

That would be cool. I'd be interested to see a setup like that.

How does a radiator cool water to less than ambient air temperature?

This. The best you'll ever get with an inline radiator is ambient but that's also assuming it's working at 100% efficiency. You're still relying on air to cool the charge. Without ice or some other cooling agent, the gains just aren't there.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
You would have to use something like cO2 to get things passing 100%. that in itself comes with a whole host of new problems...not very DD friendly, et another tank to refill, make sure you vetn the discharged cO2 away from the intake or it will choke out the engine...not worth the hastle IMO. Using the A/C system is an iteresting concept, only ting i can see is perhaps a condensation issue being dealt with. But Im with levi on this one, other than the cool factor, there is really no reason to add complexity to a DD. Most people use a W/A core when space is at a premium.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Kilroy you are on to it because the system is already there just need to tie into it and flow the cool air into the place you determine is best. LBZ is a nice runner at cool amb. temps in fall or spring the idea sure makes a good project.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
You would have to use something like cO2 to get things passing 100%. that in itself comes with a whole host of new problems...not very DD friendly, get another tank to refill, make sure you vent the discharged cO2 away from the intake or it will choke out the engine...not worth the hassle IMO. Using the A/C system is an interesting concept, only thing i can see is perhaps a condensation issue being dealt with. But I'm with Levi on this one, other than the cool factor, there is really no reason to add complexity to a DD. Most people use a W/A core when space is at a premium.

Wouldn't the condensation actually help? If not wouldn't the drain system on the AC take care of that?

Kilroy you are on to it because the system is already there just need to tie into it and flow the cool air into the place you determine is best. LBZ is a nice runner at cool amb. temps in fall or spring the idea sure makes a good project.

I think the biggest part of whether it succeeds or not is which line to plumb into the W/A cooler, and how to deal with vibration in the lines between the AC and the IC pipe.

This is probably what I'll be using: http://www.siliconeintakes.com//images/product/intercooler_type19_picture.jpg

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
500 dollar w/a kit versus a new 1,200 dollar air to air.... Hmmmm

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.764033,-92.467052
2011 Ferd F-teenthousand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember, on average when running a diesel you can take the advertised horsepower rating of a W/A intercooler kit and cut it in half. So if youre making 500 HP you will have to get a kit with a rating of 1000 or more. Plus a complete re-build of the induction system, new pipes. For those who cannot weld, custom pipes will not be cheap, and no one mass produces them. To each his own, i just dont see the need for the added complexity.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
500 dollar w/a kit versus a new 1,200 dollar air to air.... Hmmmm

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.764033,-92.467052
2011 Ferd F-teenthousand

you really think you can do its for "500 dollars all said and done". Good luck. Everyone thinks they can do all this shit cheap and once they get half way into it, the project ends up nickle and diming them to death.

Ill keep my stupid old air-to-air intercooler thanks. I know its boring and not "cool" (no pun intended), but keep it simple stupid, and leave the W/A systems to the trailer-queen sled pullers......honestly.

Ben

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
I wonder I you could run water/meth just through the system (not going into the engine, only thru the w/a ic)? It would stay a lot cooler than water I would think and it wouldn't freeze in the winter..

First of all, water is better than methanol is at both conducting heat and retaining heat... The heat conductivity of water is 0.67 W/mK (watts per kelvin meter), while methanol is only 0.25 W/mK. The heat capacity of water is 4.18KJ/kgK, while methanol is only 2.55. Number B, even if it did, all it would do is be more efficient at MAKING THE CHARGE AIR THE SAME TEMPERATURE AS THE AMBIENT AIR!

Why do you "still believe" this is true? Are you saying you think you can make more power consistently by using your AC system to cool down the charge air? You do understand that energy is required for the phase change that AC systems use to "extract" the heat from air? You're putting additional load on the engine and making more heat to do this. You're trying to break the laws of physics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

This concept (which is effectively attempting to increase the efficiency of the engine) is akin to driving an electric generator with an electric motor and expecting it to make power.

Or to put it simply, it's like plugging a 120v to 12v car battery charger into a 120v inverter attached to the same battery and expecting it to charge.

If ANYTHING, the only THEORETICALLY POSSIBLE thing you could do would be to use your AC system to TEMPORARILY cool down a closed water to air intercooler system's reservoir to get a short term, instant burst of colder charge air. This would be viable only for sled pullers and drag racers, where you need a quick burst of cold air and then you can sit and re-cool the system for a while. It would also certainly cost thousands of dollars by the time you get done fabricating R134a coolant lines, building an AC evaporator core-to-water intercooler, and building an air-to-water intercooler.

attachment.php

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
First of all, water is better than methanol is at both conducting heat and retaining heat... The heat conductivity of water is 0.67 W/mK (watts per kelvin meter), while methanol is only 0.25 W/mK. The heat capacity of water is 4.18KJ/kgK, while methanol is only 2.55. Number B, even if it did, all it would do is be more efficient at MAKING THE CHARGE AIR THE SAME TEMPERATURE AS THE AMBIENT AIR!
Thank you for clearing that up for me..I'm no science wiz, I just knew that meth stayed cooler than water that sat in the bed of my truck, I don't know the technical stuff about it..

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal

Why do you "still believe" this is true? Are you saying you think you can make more power consistently by using your AC system to cool down the charge air? You do understand that energy is required for the phase change that AC systems use to "extract" the heat from air? You're putting additional load on the engine and making more heat to do this. You're trying to break the laws of physics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

This concept (which is effectively attempting to increase the efficiency of the engine) is akin to driving an electric generator with an electric motor and expecting it to make power.

Or to put it simply, it's like plugging a 120v to 12v car battery charger into a 120v inverter attached to the same battery and expecting it to charge.

If ANYTHING, the only THEORETICALLY POSSIBLE thing you could do would be to use your AC system to TEMPORARILY cool down a closed water to air intercooler system's reservoir to get a short term, instant burst of colder charge air. This would be viable only for sled pullers and drag racers, where you need a quick burst of cold air and then you can sit and re-cool the system for a while. It would also certainly cost thousands of dollars by the time you get done fabricating R134a coolant lines, building an AC evaporator core-to-water intercooler, and building an air-to-water intercooler.

I do understand that energy from the motor is required to make the AC work, whether there is an extra cooler in the system or not. The question is if the extra cooling effect from plumbing the AC through the WA cooler is worth the hassle. If you're gonna drive everything off conservation of energy you might as well stop driving your truck. Energy is lost every time a piston cycles, whether it's from heat soak through the block, friction, and the list goes on. All I'm suggesting is trying something different, and chances are no one here drives their truck at WOT everywhere they go. I don't think it would provide any kind of maximum super cooling all the time, but I think it could help.

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
Daaaaang just got done droppin an engine, transmission, transfer case and both driveshafts into a truck and check the phone to see you boys blowing it up lol, welp someone always going to be smarter, I'm sorry I started this thread because the only real way to learn anything is from doing it yourself i guess instead of asking someone to quote wikipedia about how it will or wont work, guess I need to just delete this app so I can keep my thoughts in my head through out the day in the field haha, thanks for your time gentlemen.

2011 Ferd F-teenthousand

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
Daaaaang just got done droppin an engine, transmission, transfer case and both driveshafts into a truck and check the phone to see you boys blowing it up lol, welp someone always going to be smarter, I'm sorry I started this thread because the only real way to learn anything is from doing it yourself i guess instead of asking someone to quote wikipedia about how it will or wont work, guess I need to just delete this app so I can keep my thoughts in my head through out the day in the field haha, thanks for your time gentlemen.

2011 Ferd F-teenthousand

You can tell me of your thoughts and we can dream about them together:thumb: