Water to air i.c. D.d. Possible?

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
Does anybody already run a water to air on their daily driver? With a big enough water cooler it's possible right? Just out here in the field thinking... All our water to air John deeres use the engine coolant so I just figured it could be possible on a pickup ? Any thoughts?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.748184,-92.772867

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I have seen it done, but not on a D'max for a DD. A buddy of mine has a WRX with an air to water CAC.

I think it could be done, but you would be adding another cooling system with it's own radiator, water pump and reservoir. The best cooling to the charge air you would achieve would be ambient air temperature on a sustained drive unless you chilled the coolant in the system.

A cool idea would be to use the AC system to drop the temperature of the coolant in the reservoir. With that, you may be able to keep the temps down over time.

I though I read somewhere that the new Fords are using an air to water CAC stock. Maybe you could convert one of those systems to the D'max if you wanted it that bad.

I could be wrong on the Ford thing....just can't remember...

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I have some links to the parts needed been thinking about it also. I was going to use a bullet style cooler like Mick used behind the bumper. Then add the coolant tank to the side or bed with pump when racing or sled pulling and add dry ice. For everyday driving in place of stock intercooler a smaller radiator from Griffin with a fan with the electric water pump with a screen online for when running the ice to keep everything flowing. I think it can be done for less then a 1,300.00 give or take for intake piping.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Guess me and you are the only ones interested haha, don't you think it would be worth a try? I seen your true cold air intake setup very nice!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.746529,-92.771580
I think it would be a very worth while venture to test it and thanks for the compliment but its not quite perfected yet, but i have a pretty good idea how im going to make the scoops that ive been discussing:thumb:

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
My plans are a intercooler from frozenboost then an igloo cooler in the bed and run 1" ag hose from the cooler to intercooler and an ag water pump for supply, can get all the plumbing from the local agco sprayer shop and it would last a long time, since I just drive my truck shirt trips anymore it wouldn't be a big deal to keep puttin ice in the cooler

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.764094,-92.466859

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
My plans are a intercooler from frozenboost then an igloo cooler in the bed and run 1" ag hose from the cooler to intercooler and an ag water pump for supply, can get all the plumbing from the local agco sprayer shop and it would last a long time, since I just drive my truck shirt trips anymore it wouldn't be a big deal to keep puttin ice in the cooler

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.764094,-92.466859

The ice won't last... Those guys blow through 20 bag in seconds! So even driving mildly the ice won't last but a few minutes at most.

For a DD setup, I'm guessing you're going to have to run the water through a separate radiator to keep it cooled down. Especially over long hauls where it'd just heat the water up more & more the more it circulated unless you had a ginormous reservoir that would be waaaay bigger than the vol of fluid flowing through the system. You won't have that in a pickup so you're going to have to run it through a radiator for it to be effective in a DD IMO.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
PWR W/A IC, cooler in place of the factory IC, and a pump would work fine IMO. Mick was doing it for a long time on his truck in Australia and it was a DD.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The new 6.7 PowerStroke has a water to air IC with it's own separate little radiator for that and the EGR system.