Water Pump Replacement Issues

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Ok so I found the folllowing link for a DIY. (pretty good overview of what I am getting myself into)

http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevy-...rum/15967-lb7-water-pump-replacement-diy.html

But my problem right now is how to hold the fan clutch pully still to break the 1 7/8" nut loose. I can not find anyone in the upstate of SC that has the proper tool to do this. (for sale or loan)

So, my question is what do most of you guys use to achive this removal? Also is there anyone in the area that might be able to lend a hand with this?

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Put a wrench on the nut and give it a couple wacks with a hammer. Should spin right off.

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
i used the punch on the nut, the left side of it at a bit of an angle. when you hit it, it will help break it free. its normal thread.

sorry i was very vauge in my first post.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I use an air chisel and a flat punch attachment. Works 100% of the time every time:D

I would be more worried about the balancer bolt. That thing sucks!!!!!!!!:(

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
well........I guess I forgot to mention that I have already removed the belt and AC compressor. So i am to assume that those mentioning hitting this thing with a wrench and hammer have done so before taking the belt off?

I was trying my luck with the starter bolts tonight, got one loose however the bottom one is being a pain as I can't seem to get enough leverage!?

As for the Balancer bolt........I have a 5' piece of 1" ridgid pipe on stand by for a breaker bar.

Thanks for the help guys, I guess I'm just frustrated from the lack of productive with this project. ( I can't stand not have the right tool for the job.)

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I would try the air chissel mentioned above if you have one?? If not put the belt and pulleys back on. As far as the balancer bolt, most suggest pulling the starter and using an extension to hold the flywheel and then using a breaker bar with an extension. I took the radiator and intercooler out and used an impact, it probably takes about the same time but also gives you the oportunity to clean inbetween the radiator and intercooler. Mine were caked with crap......

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
I would try the air chissel mentioned above if you have one?? If not put the belt and pulleys back on. As far as the balancer bolt, most suggest pulling the starter and using an extension to hold the flywheel and then using a breaker bar with an extension. I took the radiator and intercooler out and used an impact, it probably takes about the same time but also gives you the oportunity to clean inbetween the radiator and intercooler. Mine were caked with crap......

Im not sure I understand the air chissel method.....I guess I will have to reassemble some parts. I am working on getting the starter out for the insertion of the extension. However the truck having 118K on probably has 1/2ton of crap between the Radiator and intercooler. :D

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
The balancer bolt is cake to get off. get a socket and breaker bar. turn so bar is against frame rail. click key. motor does all the grunt work.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ok so I found the folllowing link for a DIY. (pretty good overview of what I am getting myself into)

http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevy-...rum/15967-lb7-water-pump-replacement-diy.html

But my problem right now is how to hold the fan clutch pully still to break the 1 7/8" nut loose. I can not find anyone in the upstate of SC that has the proper tool to do this. (for sale or loan)

So, my question is what do most of you guys use to achive this removal? Also is there anyone in the area that might be able to lend a hand with this?

You have two options:

1) Use an airhammer on the left (passenger) side of the nut. Just hit it a couple times and the nut should start to move.

2) Get a buddy to tighten the fan belt with a breaker bar on the tensioner. He'll have to really lean on it to hold against you twisting the nut, but it should work.

Last edited:

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
You have two options:

1) Use an airhammer on the left (passenger) side of the nut. Just hit it a couple times and the nut should start to move.

2) Get a buddy to tighten the fan belt with a breaker bar on the tensioner. He'll have to really lean on it to hold against you twisting the nut, but it should work.

I have got to be the biggest re-re on this board. what part of the fan nut are you using the airhammer/air chissel on? :D

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Thanks to EVERYONE for thier help. I got the water pump out and taken apart. Here's what I found inside, please advise! Do I need to replace the housing as well?

Attachments

• IMG_2539.jpg
    IMG_2539.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2540.jpg
    IMG_2540.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 30

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
Shawn mine looked like that too, it took 125k miles for all that erosion to happen so i did not worry about it and re assembled it back together. one thing you can do is make sure that there is no debris in your coolant.

oh that fan clutch i use 90* long needle nose pliers and stick them in the little holes in the pulley and hold it while break the nut loose.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Shawn mine looked like that too, it took 125k miles for all that erosion to happen so i did not worry about it and re assembled it back together. one thing you can do is make sure that there is no debris in your coolant.

oh that fan clutch i use 90* long needle nose pliers and stick them in the little holes in the pulley and hold it while break the nut loose.

So what is picture is just normal wear?