Water Pump Replacement Issues

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Should I be looking for a new housing? Truck has 118K on it.

Its a personal call, I think that housing will be fine for another 118k but its a PITA to change out if it does not. My best suggestion is, if you can get a good deal on a new one buy it, if not re-use your old one, worse case scenario you will be changing the pump sooner then later, but on the bright side it should only take you about half the time the second time around;):)

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
mine wasnt too bad...

100_2107.jpg

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
MAKE SURE YOU TIGHTEN THE BALANCER BOLT AND USE RED LOCKTITE.............I found out the hard way, mine came loose, broke the pin off in the crank and vibrated so bad it broke the rear housing off my trans!!!!!!!!! Pay close attention to this step!!!

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Thanks for the headsd up.......Any one have a little insight on the pressure test before reassembly of all the other parts?

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
use an air compressor and some fittings, fill the system up with air to 12psi.

i found out the hard way :( only place i could think of it leaking is the metal gasket that connects to the log that goes under the driver side of the engine. all the o-rings should be fine if they were installed correctly

Last edited:

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
use an air compressor and some fittings, fill the system up with air to 12psi.

i found out the hard way :( only place i could think of it leaking is the metal gasket that connects to the log that goes under the driver side of the engine. all the o-rings should be fine if they were installed correctly

Sorry for the stupid questions, but where do I inject the air from the compressor?

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
re assemble the themostat housing and get a air gun with the rubber tip and reulate the air to 12psi and fill it up.

usually its something big that is sometimes missed that springs leaks. but if you took your time you really shoudnt have a problem with leaks

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
re assemble the themostat housing and get a air gun with the rubber tip and reulate the air to 12psi and fill it up.

usually its something big that is sometimes missed that springs leaks. but if you took your time you really shoudnt have a problem with leaks

Thank you.....but should I be concerned that I did not take the thermostat houseing apart? LOL :rofl: