Wait to start light?

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
Hate to be the remote repair guy but I’m confused on this one. If you read my sob story in the other thread I’m trying to diagnose a no crank/no start.

My question is what controls the wait to start light? I don’t see GPC module in the starting and charging diagram. Ecm? When I turn key I don’t get a wait to start light or check engine light like normal. Only getting battery, security and brake light.

I have 12v at 40a ign fuse and at the relay. Starter turns over if you jump it. I replaced relay just to make sure. Have checked all the wiring and only thing I could find was melted wire loom under hot side intercooler pipe but the wires were fine. PRND321 shows the line under it and moves with the shifter.

Appreciate the help.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The ECM has tables for the glow plug timing so it's a good bet that the ECM is what sends the signal to turn them on. The instrument cluster and glow plug module will listen in and do their thing.

Really sounds like a popped fuse or broken wire to me. The cluster has several 12v inputs that power different parts of the display and lights. Maybe one of those is out?

Reactions: wydopenLb7

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
I had the dash apart a few times so I’ll check that. Everything in engine compartment looks ok including the fuses. I’ll try jumping them just to be sure but all the related ones have continuity.

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
I got it. I’m stupid. Was the 10a ign E fuse I somehow over looked. Was checking them with multimeter and I must have skipped over that one? Been a long week. Pulled them all to look at them again and it was blown. Thank you for the help. At least I cleaned up some other wiring while I was in there. Now I need to run it and see where the oil was coming from.

I’m a little weirded out. After the oil cooler line broke I drove about 350 hard miles with the trailer. Oil still looks brand new. Usually it’s black after barley running it. I’ve slightly overfilled it before and when I drained it out it was dirtier than it is now. Going to get an oil analysis done and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2004LB7