LMM: Vibration in rear

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
Really starting to drive me up the wall. Little background on the truck. Two price drive shaft, new u joints, 7"of lift in rear (6"spring, 1"block with shims to correct pinion angle). Have a vibration when driving down the road and very noticeable when you step on it out hook a trailer up without putting air in the bags.

Seeing that it gets worse when loaded down could it be pinion angle is off? Could it be carrier needing replacement?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
Is anything loose, like the pinion?

When I had the drive shaft out I didn't notice out being loose. Is there a certain way to hold onto it and check for slop or just see if it moves in and out our side to side with the shaft off? Do have to add that the seal is leaking a little.

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
Grab the drive shaft, and try to push pull it side to side. It should not move at all. If it does, you need to pinpoint where. Make sure the U joint is in good shape.

I read that you rotated the pinion angle, are you still running a single u joint on each end of the drive shaft?

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
Grab the drive shaft, and try to push pull it side to side. It should not move at all. If it does, you need to pinpoint where. Make sure the U joint is in good shape.

I read that you rotated the pinion angle, are you still running a single u joint on each end of the drive shaft?

U joints were replaced hoping that the vib would go away. But I can grab the drive shaft and it doesn't move. I have never touched the pinion angle. The PO did the lift and had the shims installed. Drive line is 100% stock other then gears, lift, and built trans so not sure what you mean by single u joint on each end. If its there factory its still the same.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
is there a drop down bracket for the carrier bearing?

sounds more like axle wrap IMOP.

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
is there a drop down bracket for the carrier bearing?

sounds more like axle wrap IMOP.

Yes there is a drop bracket one that not cal nick sent that is used on other cognito lifts. I thought it was axle warp as well but put ladder bars on it and nothing to reduce the vibration.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
Did you jack the rearif the truck off the ground? I was chasing a bad rear vibration problem and once the rear tires were off the ground it was clear what my problem was. The rear home was t holding the ujoint tight and allowing to move back and forth. This would cause a terrible vibration. I changed the yoke, ujoint, and driveshaft. Finally solved my problem.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yes there is a drop bracket one that not cal nick sent that is used on other cognito lifts. I thought it was axle warp as well but put ladder bars on it and nothing to reduce the vibration.

how much of a drop? take some pics of the angle the drive shaft is at now if you can

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
Did you jack the rearif the truck off the ground? I was chasing a bad rear vibration problem and once the rear tires were off the ground it was clear what my problem was. The rear home was t holding the ujoint tight and allowing to move back and forth. This would cause a terrible vibration. I changed the yoke, ujoint, and driveshaft. Finally solved my problem.

No I did not. Will do that sometime this week. Was your issue the pinion being loose?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

What?

leehype

Aug 16, 2012
U joints were replaced hoping that the vib would go away. But I can grab the drive shaft and it doesn't move. I have never touched the pinion angle. The PO did the lift and had the shims installed. Drive line is 100% stock other then gears, lift, and built trans so not sure what you mean by single u joint on each end. If its there factory its still the same.

Ok, so let's start at the back and work forward. Are the tires in balance? Are they round (not a stupid question, seen it twice where the tire had chopping and spent too much time chasing other issues to rule them out.) Is anything missing from the brakes? Are the axle seals leaking?

These are stated simply to help, I always start at the outside and work in when chasing a gripe, cause the parts are cheaper on the outside, and 90% of the time people don't shotgun those parts.

If everything else checks good, I would recommend removing the axle shim.

With everything else discussed, I would start there. The front and rear U joints should have their angles matching as close as possible. I don't know if your shims are welded in or bolted in, but if they are not hard to remove, should be easy to check.

I am still learning the specifics of duramax's, the advice I am giving is general, and how I would approach this issue if it was mine.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
No I did not. Will do that sometime this week. Was your issue the pinion being loose?

My issue was the pinion yoke was loose. It would not hold the ujoint stationary. I installed a brand new pinion yoke nut and gasket, ujoint , ujoint strapsand driveshaft and all is well again for me

Moral of the story is I didn't figure out what was wrong till I jacked the rear of the truck off the ground and spent time under the truck touching and moving different parts

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
Yes tires are balanced
Yes tires are round
Vibration is present on acceleration
Vibration increases or is more intense when the rear is lower due to weight in bed or trailer hooked to truck.
Drive shaft was loose on pinion side as pervious post mentioned so I replaced the u joint and it was right again. Still lift rear to see if this fixes that.
Pinion seal has a slight leak.

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
Sorry about the wait, took a while to get home today. Spacer is 3" and pictures are below.

2012-09-05_18-39-47_828.jpg

2012-09-05_18-39-56_814.jpg

2012-09-05_20-11-55_5071.jpg

2012-09-05_18-39-34_7061.jpg

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What way are the shims in the leaf pack? Your driveshaft should not be the same angle as your pinion flange

leehype

Aug 16, 2012
It looks to me like the angles are opposed... Like the pinion is pointing up, and the drive shaft after the carrier is pointing down, not at each other...

I agree with Chevy1925, the angles don't look right.