Ultimate Event Thread

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
since this event is for us byus, i would not have any prizes, just an open track with heads up racing. if it turns into a competition it will be too complicated. what im trying to say is that if i want to line up against maxd out and rob agrees then let it be. its all for fun anyways, right? sled pulls would obviously need seperate divisions.

no prizes is what im getting at. bragging rights is worth more:D

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I'm glad someone suggested Topeka. Isn't there a track near Joplin Missouri as well? The reason I think regional qualifiers would be cool is 1) more people can participate in the event that just couldn't make the main event and 2) it will weed out or eliminate much of the competition so that the "final" or whatever can be done in one or two days.

If the group decides its better to skip regional qualifiers and just get together for one event, IMO it should be a three day event. The first two days eliminating most competitors and the final day deciding the winner in each respective event while giving some a head start for the drive home. Perhaps more would attend a 3 day event knowing that their travel $ spent would provide perhaps a short vacation instead of traveling so far for just one day of competition. Just my thoughts....

Last edited:

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
since this event is for us byus, i would not have any prizes, just an open track with heads up racing. if it turns into a competition it will be too complicated. what im trying to say is that if i want to line up against maxd out and rob agrees then let it be. its all for fun anyways, right? sled pulls would obviously need seperate divisions.

no prizes is what im getting at. bragging rights is worth more:D

How about we start a donation fund for the winners? The complaint about DPC is the guys who put their $ in their trucks don't get squat and it benefits ONLY the dumb magazine who BTW is a big company with a lot of $ and resources that doesn't give back to us. I think a possible prize will justify the heavy hitters making the trip (by the way we all want to see the heavy hitters compete)

5 dollar donation (obviously some can chip in more) would add up for sure. If any vendors want to set up, their fees could go towards paying potential facilities used..after all it
Won't be free to use their tracks, dyno, etc

My head is really going different directions all at one time right now sorry.... Here's something else to consider... The money aspect brings along another set of issues/problems. It MAY or may not take away from the good nature of what were trying to do here. We want to be apart of something free of corruption/greed right? Vendors are at events to promote their products and ultimately for their own financial gain. I'm not trying to vilify them however may e the event would be best free of all of that. Just a bunch of good ol boys getting together to have fun and show this sport/culture that we are not going to be polluted by the politics and money. Sorry for the sermon

Last edited:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I'm starting this thread in hopes to get together with EVERYONE on this forum to put our heads together for the ULTIMATE event. I'm in the position where i can help turn something pretty legit out and would like to work with everyone to try and get something good going. So heres the deal…

We need to find a location centrally located for guys east and west coast. A date far enough away where everyone will have the opportunity to go. A schedule of events that will allow EVERYONE the opportunity to have a great time and enjoy Diesel motor sports and the company of other enthusiasts. This is not just for us Duramax guys, i'd like to spread it around once we have a solid plan to the other forums (cummins, PSA, comp d) It's time we all realized that we are this Industry, Without Enthusiast like us (and all the others)many if not all of these companies and magazines wouldn't be around. I want this to be an event "for us, By us"

ANY and ALL suggestions welcome
Have to invovle the other forums i think to make it big and very worth while this thing could be helped/funded by vendors booths and such and maybe have some payouts.

Does there really need to be any trailer tow? I don't really see that as an event that people will be jumping to do lol. Just my thoughts but it's not just up to me. This doesn't need to "mimic" the DPC i just want us to put together something epic!
I think the trailer tow is a good thing becasue it prevents a guy with a big single running away with the drag race or the sled pull.No offence to guys with big singles but your only limited by the smallest turbo.

I'm just saying besides forums how can we gain the required attention and interest? Advertise in Diesel Power? Lol :D
Contact all the competitors in the dpc in the last 3 years tell them to pick a spokesman from their forum,present ideas from your prospective forum and put it together,if you build it they will come.Do you know what would happen if you organized all the dcp guys that entered and didnt make it to come to a differant evet on the same dates?DPC what? oh who cares did you hear about the new event with more trucks? thats where im heading!I think this has the potential to be huge for sure.Id like to Nominate Andrew as spokesman for DD to get this thing rolling.

Id also like a 1/4 mile track for sure im good with kentucy to missiori and it should have a sled pull track close and i guess it could be a protable dyno.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
How about we start a donation fund for the winners? The complaint about DPC is the guys who put their $ in their trucks don't get squat and it benefits ONLY the dumb magazine who BTW is a big company with a lot of $ and resources that doesn't give back to us. I think a possible prize will justify the heavy hitters making the trip (by the way we all want to see the heavy hitters compete)

5 dollar donation (obviously some can chip in more) would add up for sure. If any vendors want to set up, their fees could go towards paying potential facilities used..after all it
Won't be free to use their tracks, dyno, etc

My head is really going different directions all at one time right now sorry.... Here's something else to consider... The money aspect brings along another set of issues/problems. It MAY or may not take away from the good nature of what were trying to do here. We want to be apart of something free of corruption/greed right? Vendors are at events to promote their products and ultimately for their own financial gain. I'm not trying to vilify them however may e the event would be best free of all of that. Just a bunch of good ol boys getting together to have fun and show this sport/culture that we are not going to be polluted by the politics and money. Sorry for the sermon

i agree with the no vendors part, we should get pricing to set the event up and then see what the best route would be

this crap gets complicated with prize money,

if it was up to me and if i could fund the whole event i would have everyone who is gonna show....show and run what ya brung up againts who ever wants to run you. for sled pulling stock charger, 2.6 and 3.0 & up. bragging rights is all you get. dyno would be there just so youknow how much hp you think you make. bring your own food and party supplies. in my mind i would just like this to be an evnt you come with your rig (if possible) show it off and run it and most importantly mett other enthusiast. completely friendly competition.

2day event

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
i agree with the no vendors part, we should get pricing to set the event up and then see what the best route would be

this crap gets complicated with prize money,

if it was up to me and if i could fund the whole event i would have everyone who is gonna show....show and run what ya brung up againts who ever wants to run you. for sled pulling stock charger, 2.6 and 3.0 & up. bragging rights is all you get. dyno would be there just so youknow how much hp you think you make. bring your own food and party supplies. in my mind i would just like this to be an evnt you come with your rig (if possible) show it off and run it and most importantly mett other enthusiast. completely friendly competition.

2day event

I just don't see me running a 9 second truck as being fun for either? This thing will need classes where races are close so we have some organization...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
There is no such thing as an "ultimate event". As in business, you cannot cater to everyone, nor include everyone. The events that tried to do that in the past failed. Its just too difficult to do.

Just put together the best GTG you can, and let the chips fall where they may. You and your guests will have more fun that way.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I just don't see me running a 9 second truck as being fun for either? This thing will need classes where races are close so we have some organization...
probably should have classes to be fair.

There is no such thing as an "ultimate event". As in business, you cannot cater to everyone, nor include everyone. The events that tried to do that in the past failed. Its just too difficult to do.

Just put together the best GTG you can, and let the chips fall where they may. You and your guests will have more fun that way.
This is true and never ask for a good date it will never work out for everyone just set a date and if people can make it they will.

Aaron@LDS

Goin' Broke!
Vendor/Sponsor
Jan 19, 2013
Saint Johnsville, NY
I think most people would have more fun thinking of it as a GTG. Shoot... it could be in a feild near a track and we could all go for the day to the track then back to the feild to campout and tailgate! I truly believe if you keep it simple it will be more fun. Go big and you put alot of stress on yourself and everyone that your counting on to make it worth it.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Where ever we would get together at wheather it be a bar or around a campfire with some beer (after the event) its sure to be a good time.:thumb:

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I think most people would have more fun thinking of it as a GTG. Shoot... it could be in a feild near a track and we could all go for the day to the track then back to the feild to campout and tailgate! I truly believe if you keep it simple it will be more fun. Go big and you put alot of stress on yourself and everyone that your counting on to make it worth it.

You are probably right. Good post. Still think those of us who are serious about going that far would like to spend more than one day wherever we are going. Doesn't sound very appealing to drive a long road trip, and turn right around and go back...especially hung over. Diesel dudes get straight wasted.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO group (since its a relatively small, specialized platform) have a national get together every year (this year in St. Louis). They usually make a deal with a hotel, book a track, organize a dyno and a car show/meet and greet deal (this year its car show, drags, autocross and road course).

I think something along those lines would be the ticket. Like others have said, something informal and get vendors to sponsor certain events.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I have to disagree with the "classes" idea. Once you start down that road it becomes more complicated, it should be a rung what you brung event. I do like the idea of some prize money.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Insurance and venue rental is about 15000 bucks or better.
That needs paid up front. That means someone is gonna have to get this done.
On my event it was a small agricultutral fair ground and it 7000 just to get it all set up.
That doesn't include prize money. Which as stated has its positives and negatives.
We could have a pro class as in you own a shop
Maybe super street as in built truck that is trailered in
And then a street class as in rwub drove to track etc.
I did ask about 1/8 mile with a trailer, insurance is pricey because it has no standard risk deviation associated with it.

For this year Why don't we just pick 4 regional events in june or july that we can all show up at and kinda free ride on, and then pick another event in august and call it the final.

Just a local drag strip that we all show up at on a given day.
It would be there rental and insurance and us keeping score on the down low.
This is very inexpensive and a nice trial run to draw interest and ket the bugs out.

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
Antrim Diesel Days in Boonsboro MD is two day annual event with truck pulling and 1/4 mile drag racing they even have big over the road trucks compete in their own classes. They charge admission fees and fees to pull and race, any extra money after expenses goes to a local charity. If you want to put on this type of event I would suggest you stay close to home on the first one just cause it would be easier to organize. As was mentioned earlier other forums like the TDI forum they have an annual get together and move the location every year so different folks can attend and not have to drive 2000 miles.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Jkholder: you are correct about working the bugs out. After one year under the belt, we will be better poised to say what can be upgraded/taken on and what to eliminate to make it easier.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
First than we need to decide on 4 regions or so like east south north and west
Then find events central to those regions at the times we were thinking
Post the events (maybe someone should call the track and tell them to expect a busy day.....see if they can open early:))
Than post those results and pick a spot for a final that seems easy enough

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
....that is if everyone is even in agreement for regional qualifiers first. The other option still on the table is one main event over 1 or more days. Once this decision is made,
Then we can all mutually decide on the site for the final, which I strongly believe should be smack dab in the center of this country. This way guys in Cali and those in Maine can't bitch.

Hopefully more members post in this thread with their opinions soon. It needs to be a majority decision.