Twins with Twins, Anyone?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Logged a few more miles today, and put some heat in em for few minutes. Topped her out at 81mph around 4k. But according to egt, she's not straining to hard up there with these props.

257bb3a9c414f54fc60c5e2d604bc5bb.jpg
1324294cc7dee244553b2deb117ac669.jpg
dcd3fea3c12fca99dabe9ef636095596.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Fix some stupid stuff been troubling me for a while, then she's done. But also gotta find some props that hook better [less slip] so that 81 turns into 101mph at 4k. Then turn it up, cause we are currently only making about 780hp tops based on EGT. I could have easily ran up to 90 and 5k rpm, but why rag on it. Bigger props should bring slip down, while speed and load come up.

To fix, Port turbo has an anoying exhaust leak on base v-band that costing a pound or two of boost and sooting up the pipe. Then take our catch cans apart and pry the baffles out of them. Doubled up the CCV sizing and hoses, but damn cans still aren't flowing enough to keep dipsticks in at 4k.

However Sat was first time the engine temp gauges have saw 210F since the dyno. Still only got oil temp up to 170F on those short runs. I'd like to see em running up there for about 30 minutes to see if the rings seal up again. Gonna change oil and cut open the filters this week too.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Tested my temp safety settings in the tunes today. Ran aground pulling outa the channel where I'm hanging out and testing. Didn't think much about it until got up on plane and stbd engine defueled. Check fuel pressure, turbo, but she wouldn't make any boost.

Then noticed the sea strainer full of mud. That will do it. IAT exceeded my tune limits and she cut the fuel off and wouldn't spool. I purposely idiot proofed em, then also became the first idiot to test it..

Got it fixed and still made it in time for sunset pics.

6b078ab81f184ecd121f51c1b3129f1b.jpg
cff40103157a6a2595a5c7b40d29aa1a.jpg

• Love
Reactions: MarkBroviak

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Tested my temp safety settings in the tunes today. Ran aground pulling outa the channel where I'm hanging out and testing. Didn't think much about it until got up on plane and stbd engine defueled. Check fuel pressure, turbo, but she wouldn't make any boost.

Then noticed the sea strainer full of mud. That will do it. IAT exceeded my tune limits and she cut the fuel off and wouldn't spool. I purposely idiot proofed em, then also became the first idiot to test it..

Got it fixed and still made it in time for sunset pics.

6b078ab81f184ecd121f51c1b3129f1b.jpg
cff40103157a6a2595a5c7b40d29aa1a.jpg

I was pretty dumb in my early days of tuning. used to run around with all those limiters disabled until one day towing the engine started to run a bit hot. when I got back home I re did my tune to provide the protection to prevent it again and try to keep the engine together longer 😛

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Well today was interesting, or a typical by boating standards. Thursday we logged about 38 miles on the bay, and besides running aground once, great day. However when we parked the boat, noted some fuel in the bilge running out from under the port engine intake. Figured was just a return line on CP3 popped off or something stupid. Well maybe not..

I worked till 2AM on the dock evacuation the cooling system and pulling the reservoir tank off the engine. Find no leaks up top around the pump. Can't be certain, cause still can see under there, but it's either the inlet banjo fitting on the CP3 pump, or the high pressure cross over line between the rails cracked. Whatever it is, she pumped about 15 or more gallons of fuel into the bilge.

So Friday I spend a couple hours sucking fuel out of the bilge, filling up some 15 gallon drums, then packing them up the dock to the truck. Wishing it was not sunny and 80F today.. lol. So get the bilge cleaned up and called a buddy to come grab my truck and trailer to meet me at the boat ramp 7 miles down the bay. I figured just idle it back to the ramp solo on one engine and pull it out for the weekend. Gonna rain anyways.

I'm half way to the ramp running on Stbd engine at about 1400Rpm in low gear.. All the sudden, engine just dies.. Tried to restart and it just dies again. So let me fire up Port and just see what's up. It won't fire now, shit I'm outa fuel.. Haven't gotten around to fully calibrating the fuel sender, but I knew she had at least 50 gallons or more last I checked. Well maybe I miss calculated, but it shows 1/8th tank on the gauge.

Luckily my brother was dropping in a 17' Yellowfin he just picked up last week, and had two fuel jugs in the truck, for a total of 7 gallons. Put that in, a 300gal tank, and fired right up, then died again in under a mile. Sent him for more fuel and dropped anchor. By now it's dark, and I have no nav lights wired up yet. So zip tied two battery LED lights to a stick, dropped anchor again, and waited. This time we pulled the line right off the lift pump and dropped straight into the 2.5gal jug. But the return goes back to main tank. Made it a half mile and jug was empty.. Chit this suck. But by this time, my buddy had caught a ride out and was onboard with me. The a 17' Yellowfin,would not tow a 40' 15k lb Baja up wind..

So we dump the other 5 gallon in the tank, connect the main line back up, and she fires up again and off we go.. Half mile later, and still 3 miles from the ramp, dies again.. WTF.. Guess what crapped out when the tank ran dry? The lift pump sounded like crap, and luckily we have another one onboard, mounted on Port engine. After another hour, Ryan managed to unbolt it and get plumbed in on Stbd. Hit the key, fired up, and ran great. Made it on the trailer at 10PM, 5 hours after I pulled away from the dock..

Only on a boat can you have two engines or more, and still end dead in the water...

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I've bragged about these self regulating SX pumps for 10 years, and then have one straight up fail on me. How dare them sell me the only bad unit out there.

Luckily always carry a spare. Being attached to the other engine makes the job a bit more time consuming..
b5b9c2c1b23deeb6fa82ea612e296932.jpg
fbb126e4068244fe80db2c83181e60d4.jpg

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I've bragged about these self regulating SX pumps for 10 years, and then have one straight up fail on me. How dare them sell me the only bad unit out there.

Luckily always carry a spare. Being attached to the other engine makes the job a bit more time consuming..
b5b9c2c1b23deeb6fa82ea612e296932.jpg
fbb126e4068244fe80db2c83181e60d4.jpg

What do these bad boys flow?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Looks a lot like the PPE lift pump which, if I recall correctly, was the same as a pump Edelbrock also sold.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Looks a lot like the PPE lift pump which, if I recall correctly, was the same as a pump Edelbrock also sold.
Yep, they are made by SX, labeled under a few different names. 160gph with adjustable internal bypass. I've had good luck with em, even though they started stickering them with Not For Diesel Use. Simple rotary vane, rebuildable. I ordered a new one, gonna crack that one open tomorrow and see what failed. Sounds like a motor bearing out.