Twins with Twins, Anyone?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
On your last video, what kind of R's where you turning around the 3 minute mark? Sounds like it's turning pretty good. Could probably use a little more load on it. Those engines want to have a trailer behind them and you have two engines back there with no trailer. Puts new meaning to "boat trailer" 😂

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I need to wear a camera on my hat, for my own relocations... At about 3:05, when ya see my truck backed in at the boat ramp, it was around 3800r right before the shift. I remembering pushing the throttles down right after, but still only hit about 2800r I think before let out.

Reactions: lutzjk913

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I forgot to reset the tach recalls before we went out last time. So I know we never exceeded 4100. I was busy comparing boost pressure on the center screen because our analog gauges only go up to 35psi. Right before that run we noticed smoke from the turbo inlet v-band on port engine.. [V-Band clamps have become my latest Love / Hate relationship] Port was 38lbs, and stbd was 40psi, same throttle position.

But the gauge I use to judge load is this little puppy below which I did reset. And if you hadn't figure it out, P<1 P>2 are the probes in Port engine exhaust runners, S for Stbd.. Those say she's not working too hard just yet. I hardly look at them live, but have a buzzer alarm connected and set for 1550F until we get ready to really crank on it.

20200902_201952.jpg

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Ok which one of ya was it sold me those cracked heads??

Na just messing with ya.. Hell I can't remember back 4yrs anyways... So far we didn't find shit the matter with the ones we pulled off. Beside a slightly rough deck surface that left some grove in gasket you could feel with a fingernail. Work done on both sets by local guy who originally went through them. Decked em on on a large belt sander. So I'll blame that on Sting, since he's lives in the same town.. Should have known better than deal with yuppies...

So our new heads are take offs from a low mileage reman I picked up setting out behind a guys building last fall. He reported a rod noise in it, they replace it, and never ship this one back. All we found wrong was a loose rocker arm. Heads looked great, beside someone staked the valve seats in the reman process. Still had them trued up again just to be certain.

All the hardware swapped and I'm just waiting on some new coppers for injectors. Not a dealer in area had a full set, even at $25 a piece retail. Two dealers had an LML package set of 4 at only $27, however their is 75miles between em.. So I called up Merchant and gave FedEx an extra $30 today. Hope to drop the sticks in tomorrow and see how it goes.. I did allow DD to spay the head gaskets with Copper Plus this time. Just in case the deck was a little fuzzy. But until we die test the old heads, I'll let em go for $399pr forum members only discount.... 🤔

20200906_170651.jpg

20200906_171412.jpg

20200906_171106.jpg

20200906_185013.jpg

20200907_191327.jpg

20200908_113454.jpg

Reactions: corneredge

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
That doesn't look like the surface Mike leaves after milling the heads.
That's the new'r head pictured..
It wasn't mikes work. Another guy up there Dustin was using way back in the day. Mikes works on these engines all been top notch. He narrowed the rods, cut and balanced the flywheels, along with a bunch of other small stuff. We just started with heads before we had the cranks, so Mike came late to the party...

IMO don't think the surface was an issue because it showed no signs of leaking anywhere. Such a low amount / volume of pressure leaking you'd likely never catch it in a truck. Just so happens my cooling system on that engine has a flaw, in that a thermostat housing top where factory O-ring seals to top rad tube got bent / tweaked somewhere before powdercoating. I attempted to straighten it, or round it back out with a exhaust pipe expander some time ago. Got it close, but not perfectly round so it leaked before cap release pressure.

Last night after some sersious trial and error time, I stuffed a thicker 0-ring I picked up inside the housing before installing reservoir tank. Seals against end of tube, and then outside ring secondary.. Now she's holding 15psi again. I may have slightly over-engineered that reservoir design, because tank was custom fitted to thermostat housing and the Banks intake. Would need make a new housing to exact specs of this one, or weld this one up and machine out to repair. Was about to go the GMS route, but think I've got it licked.. Just watching that $52 a gallon Evans coolant smoking off the serp belt makes quarters flip in your head with every squeal. Love that stuff, but when ya piss $100 away in about 3 minutes, makes one reconsider your choice of coolant...

20200908_162529.jpg

20200831_223948.jpg

20200831_225223.jpg

20200831_225219.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkBroviak

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
I didn't think it was. The picture is of the heads that is going on now? I looks like sanding scratches in the deck. You think that will seal ok with a MLS gasket?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Thats where I have to defer back to you guys who've ran big power successfully over long periods. What surface finish has proven to be more or less successful at holding on these aluminum heads?

I believe if we go back up couple dozen pages, we may have discussed this leak right after we came off of the dyno. The fact that we are not running O-ring blocks at a 900-horsepower level was the question if I recall. However in this experiment, we have two identical engines one holding fine, and the other not. So does our O ring fall into that equation? Or was the leak strictly hardware-related as last thought?

Just waiting on my engine'er , we sail in an hour. Answers and video at 11...

Sent from a reclined position using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Yep it was in the heads... Whoohoo... Ran great , zero pressure in the cooling system.

I was about ready to put a 10 or 15 mile run down river, and remember that wobbling power steering pulley from a couple weeks ago? We stopped for one final check back at the boat ramp, fired engines to head down the river, 10 seconds later port engine started throwing parts at us.

Boats...... LOL

Compiling videos now. Should have some good ones I think.

8c6dce8b6025f07a73efddfd00c793c6.jpg
c98215c0ccd4287796b3f827e82d1fbb.jpg
cf9d9ec4e61e03aa816175318c0d5362.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DAVe3283

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Here ya go.

Ever wonder how I could pump 5qrts of oil out of an engine and never notice it that day I went out by myself couple weeks back??

Watch the hands, then the tach's, and the boost gauges outside the tach's, all duplicated Today on the center display.. Trim indicators down in the lower right LCD display, and my engineer was riding backwards between the engines. I told him, "Just yell if you see anything that looks serious...."

Ah yeah, I was dodging logs, some half the length to the boat at the same time... LOL

Source: https://youtu.be/CBD1LAI0EbY

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
damn near need to put that trans shift switch on the throttles.

She looked good!
That's been considered, but there is currently 3 trim buttons on them now.. It can shift automatically based off GPS speed, but I have it set above 55mph so I can hold low gear until I get it fine tuned. Watch color of the ring on the button, which indicates when it's in lo-range lockout.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That's been considered, but there is currently 3 trim buttons on them now.. It can shift automatically based off GPS speed, but I have it set above 55mph so I can hold low gear until I get it fine tuned. Watch color of the ring on the button, which indicates when it's in lo-range lockout.

i noticed that but wasnt sure what it was doing. that makes sense!

i feel like i need to fly out there and do a article/video on this thing. youve done a kick ass job

Reactions: kidturbo

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Feel free to come over and go for a spin, any time you'd like. I'm planning to head back to FL within the month if things keep progressing nicely.

However as I told Mark, lets wait until I put a good solid 20 miles or more on it without any issues, then we can make some adjustments and crank it up.. Believe I told him that in early Feb,, wasn't it?? :rolleyes:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
You need a fighter jet helmet and a fkn joystick to run that thing!!!!

Be sweet to hear those engines sing with some good quality audio equipment. I feel the gopros aren’t doing them justice.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
GoPros? You can buy 10 of these cheap cameras I've been using for cost of one hero 4. LOL.. One has already gone swimming with the fishes.

I actually cut the sound down about 80% in the video editor because it's pretty max muffled between those pipes. However my head can replay the actuall sound qualitt for the next 48 hours, with the utmost clarity.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Here is another good one for ya..

Previous run to video above. Shows the fine line between boosted, and busted on these big singles in current tune config. 2200R is the currnet low end torque number. After shifting to early and having to bail on the first launch, I make it up on plane next try. Crusing mid 50's I missed trim up button the Stbd engine, and can't figure out why she won't build any boost. But is running fine at 2000r. Tthe smoke tells the tale, she wouldn't re-lite loaded even while being drug down the river by the Port engine this time.. This thing needs a dang computer to fly it...

Source: https://youtu.be/FazG79mMjsU

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Couple more videos below from yesterdays triumphant return to the water. I didn't post it on here, but on our last trip out besides a PS pump exploding, I somehow cracked "both" lower units. No real causes found, but it turned out to be in a structural location that encompassed the main oil reservoir. So with a little help from a tig master on his day off, we structurally repaired and reinforced the area. Flush and refilled drives, while the PS pump easiest fix.

However now we've picked up some blowby on both engines, to which I can only contribute to our slight over-fueling below 2400. Believe we are washing down the walls in the lower RPM range when she's low on boost. I just got a new V3, so can finally update the tunes again. Plan for tomorrow is, put lambda table back in order, switch off the speed limiter, and reconnect the TCM's to log data.Yesterda we just got up on top and logged some miles in the 2400-3400R range. And actually found someone to video from the grandstands..

20200913_200233.jpg

20200913_225321.jpg

Source: https://youtu.be/hFJXqgo4X4g

Testing Trim.
Source: https://youtu.be/Jf0mTGu0aA0

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Got two more days of testing in. Have been working to cut the fuel back below 3000r. When I do, blowby drops significantly, but so doesn't it's ability to get on plane with the larger pitch props. From what I've learned so far, it's Lambda table controlling the fueling limits. And I've got it pretty clean now besides at 2000R, 5-8lbs boost, moderately loaded. Fine line between 2000-3000R and how she spools there. Actually did one clean run where it would make 3000R and 15lbs boost, but not a dime more...

Saturday I took a good buddy for his first ride. Started out with a tune that wouldn't even get on plane, then switched back to one in videos above. He was amazed how much difference a quick tune change could make. Then I rolled into at 60mph and let em eat at 4400R for a few seconds until the props hooked up again. Saw it hit 42lbs boost and 1500EGT. So probably made a little over 750hp, and tells me room for bigger props. My buddy was really impressed with how hard it pulled between 60 to 80mph. Which puts it dead even with the original Dmax boat. Not bad for 14,000lbs of boat vs a single engine on 5000lbs.