LLY: twin it or not??....

hoffman199

May 14, 2009
ok i have the hp bug and it seems like everytime i put a new "go fast part" on my truck i spend twice as much repairing or bring the rest of the truck up to par so i dont break anything else.

Now im thinking bout putting a set of twins on. with the vast knowledge in this forum what would be best for me considdering the mods i have and what else would i have to "beef up" in order to make it a reliable daily driver?

and finally which set of twins would be best in my situation (brand, size..)

thanks

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
any set of twins you will be happy with. and you will have to beef up your rods:rofl:

Im starting to think that twins are easier on the bottom than adding more fuel. BUT, once you start down this road, rods will probably have to be part of your future plans.

hoffman199

May 14, 2009
thanks guys i appreciate all the imput. its so nice to be able just to throw a question out there and get so much good advice back:happy2:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Your mods are fine for a set of twins. Standard twins (75mm inducer) & a single cp3 are pretty safe, especially with robs tuning.

moore428

Dec 9, 2008
SE Iowa
I'm confused here. Twin turbos would be two indentical turbos running in parallel, while two turbos running in series would be COMPOUND turbos. We need to keep our terminology correct so we don't sound like a bunch yahoos.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
^haha.... It's aLot easier typing twins than compound but I'm sure that 99% of the people that are on here know what people mean when they use the "twin" word

as for the op twins are a very good addition mainly because of the cool factor and the eggs;)

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I'm confused here. Twin turbos would be two indentical turbos running in parallel, while two turbos running in series would be COMPOUND turbos. We need to keep our terminology correct so we don't sound like a bunch yahoos.

Sorry your confused but why do the turbo's have to be identical? There are still two turbo's under the hood. Guess Ill just stay a yahoo, I like the term TWIN better than compound.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
ok i have the hp bug and it seems like everytime i put a new "go fast part" on my truck i spend twice as much repairing or bring the rest of the truck up to par so i dont break anything else.

Now im thinking bout putting a set of twins on. with the vast knowledge in this forum what would be best for me considdering the mods i have and what else would i have to "beef up" in order to make it a reliable daily driver?

and finally which set of twins would be best in my situation (brand, size..)

thanks

Your truck has plenty of good stuff already. Just a standard twin kit using the stock turbo will wake that thing up like you can't imagine. You'll enjoy driving it.

Last edited:

smarquis

Triple Turbo LBZ
Jul 15, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada.
Your truck has plenty of good stuff already. Just a standard twin kit using the stock turbo will wake that thing up like you can't imagine. You'll enjoy driving it.

So adding another turbo is generally the best option if your stocker is still good? How does that compare with an aftermarket turbo (Cheetah, Garrett, Aurora, etc.)? Probably an age old question, but "waking that thing up like you can't imagine" is intriguing.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Twins are awsome! I don't think I would ever drive another one without a set. Pulling is effortlessly and egts never get hot while doing so. Night and day different from a stock turbo only truck. Depending on how much power you want out of them will dictate whats next on your list of mods. Not sure what kit exaclty is on this truck as I bought it this way but I do know on a built motored truck with this it kit layed down 839rwhp I belive on the superflow at Hucks. You could go the cheetha or Danville route too. Just depends on what your really wanting to do.

Last edited:

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
before i went with the twins (excuse me...compound turbos) i was in the market for either a water/meth or a single turbo. i swayed away from the w/m and started looking at the bd/airwerks s300 but didnt really like the feedback from it. other turbo kits were expensive without whoring myself out to vendors for a cheaper kit. then i saw Trents group buy and was sold on the price alone. now im having more fun with the truck than i ever have :thumb:. it seems to me the vvt guys have a bit better selection of replacement turbos than us lb7 guys do, but Trent should be getting started on his lly kits soon (without putting words into his mouth). might want to check that out :)

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
I always call them twins and everyone knows what I'm talking about. If I say true twins then they know I'm talking about identical turbos. I don't see the big deal. We all know what each other is talking about so I guess we will keep being YAHOOs.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
I think it's worth it for sure. My LMM has a standard MPI <insert word of choice here> turbo kit. I really like how it drives. I thought briefly (like 5 seconds) about putting it back to stock since I have the race truck running and probably won't race the LMM much if any. It's fun to drive with a hotter tune. It's also nice to tow heavy (10,000+) with a smaller tune and not even worry about looking at the pyrometer, while still having great driveability and power.

HogAssWild

Nov 12, 2009
twins is the only way to go..

i have the Industrial kit and it rocks.. although MPI is a better kit IMO

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If your going to argue semantics, you might as well get completely technical. Two identical turbos that are routed separately are parallel twin turbos. There are also sequential turbos, and what is most common in diesel applications, compound turbos. Most people call them all twins though.