Turbo Noise

2001-GMC-LB7

01GMCDMAX
Jul 27, 2010
NWNJ
I bought a BD Supermax Turbo kit in May of 2012 from Full Throttle Performance Item #1046200 for my 2001 LB7. A few months ago I started hearing a noise but only when cold and only a few seconds but Lately it has been making noise like the bearing is going bad that when it starts doing this I have to let engine go to idle to stop it then it is fine. This is supposed to have been a well built Turbo with Ball Bearings.
I tried to contact FTP but no luck and web site can not be found?
Does anyone know who made BD turbo kit and who I can call?
This is a street truck, never on the strip or pulls.
Not to say I have not pass a few Dodges and Fords on the street...lol
I feel this should not be going bad after 1 1/2 years, the original turbo lasted 12 years with no problems. I changed it for more air and to EFI live the tuning.

Any help is appreciated..

I have original email receipt from FTP...

Thank You

Jeff

PS:I just bought a 2008 Chevy Express 3500 Extended Cargo Van With a DURAMAX!!! :thumb:

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
I had a noise coming from my s475 that was very shrill, only heard it at high rpm's like described, and also thought it was a bearing going out. Turns out a bolt backed its way out of the pedestal and it was an exhaust leak, maybe just something to look into/ think about.

2001-GMC-LB7

01GMCDMAX
Jul 27, 2010
NWNJ
This noise is low RPM before turbo spools, sounds just like the heater motors when the bearings go in them. Engine RPM approx. 900 - 1200, if I keep on it, Engine = No Power, Black Smoke like Crazy...
When this turbo spools, you can hear it down the street, Sounds great!
This noise only happens when low rpms, definitely in the turbo, and it now started doing it when slowing down, like driving down a grade I hit a certain rpm and then I can hear it start to whine...

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Pull the intake off pretty quick after warm oil is going through it (after shutting truck off) and check for play in the compressor wheel. Spin it by hand and see it sticks in certain places or spins freely.

2001-GMC-LB7

01GMCDMAX
Jul 27, 2010
NWNJ
Sorry not replied for a bit, dealing with SNOW...
Will pull intake tube next chance I get and check for play.
If so, is there a kit to repair this?
Does BD warrantee these?
Thanks...

Jeff

2001-GMC-LB7

01GMCDMAX
Jul 27, 2010
NWNJ
Found Rebuild Kit!

Contacted BD Power and Their Turbo Tech (Bruce) did tell me that the BD Max Turbo Kit I bought is built with a Airwerks S300 Turbo and I did find a rebuild kit for around $100. Hell of a lot cheaper than a $1800 rebuilt one...:thumb:

Still dealing with cold and snow, :cold:

Soon I will remove, take pictures of rebuild, then repost results...:pics:

Thanks for all the help...:thankyou:

2001-GMC-LB7

01GMCDMAX
Jul 27, 2010
NWNJ
Opening up turbo...

Well Weather has warmed up a bit and I started taking apart the truck to see about this turbo issue...

Shaft has lots of play in and out as well as up and down!:mad:

Housing on intake side is scored and so is wheel...:angry5:

So now I have the rebuild kit with 360 Deg washer and bearings, ect...
but looks like I need a new wheel and a intake housing?

Did not get it apart yet to see exhaust side...

Where can I get a balanced shaft with wheels and a new intake housing?

I included a picture of intake side of turbo...

Thanks for the help...

Attachments

• DSCF1159.jpg
    DSCF1159.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 55

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
Same thing happened to mine way back when on SJD dyno. Don't waste the money to rebuild, the time to upgrade is now.

2001-GMC-LB7

01GMCDMAX
Jul 27, 2010
NWNJ
Same thing happened to mine way back when on SJD dyno. Don't waste the money to rebuild, the time to upgrade is now.

I thought I did do an upgrade when I bought this setup?
$2400 was not what I would call cheap...

Wish it was a LOT more reliable!

Filters changed every 5000mi, synthetic oil every 10k...
Never been down the track with this rebuild, did not do any pulls either.
Not to say I did not try it out on the highway...lol

I Called BD again about this yesterday, Brian was out, spoke with someone who did not know much about turbos. Out of warranty, ONLY 1 year on this setup.
They do not make the turbo, Borg Warner S300, he said they also do not carry parts to fix it but wanted me to ship it to them so they can determine why it failed and give me cost to fix it. I asked how can you fix it with NO parts?
He said they would order what it needed? Can we say markup 2x?

I have built and rebuilt just about every part on many types of vehicles.
With the correct parts I know I can build a simple turbo.
I have the updated kit with the 360 deg thrust bearing.
Just need a balanced shaft with wheels and compressor housing...

Currently I repair CNC machines at a few local machine shops and know how to read a scale, check tolerances, assemble machines.

Thanks again for any help...

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I thought I did do an upgrade when I bought this setup?
$2400 was not what I would call cheap...

Wish it was a LOT more reliable!

Filters changed every 5000mi, synthetic oil every 10k...
Never been down the track with this rebuild, did not do any pulls either.
Not to say I did not try it out on the highway...lol

I Called BD again about this yesterday, Brian was out, spoke with someone who did not know much about turbos. Out of warranty, ONLY 1 year on this setup.
They do not make the turbo, Borg Warner S300, he said they also do not carry parts to fix it but wanted me to ship it to them so they can determine why it failed and give me cost to fix it. I asked how can you fix it with NO parts?
He said they would order what it needed? Can we say markup 2x?

I have built and rebuilt just about every part on many types of vehicles.
With the correct parts I know I can build a simple turbo.
I have the updated kit with the 360 deg thrust bearing.
Just need a balanced shaft with wheels and compressor housing...

Currently I repair CNC machines at a few local machine shops and know how to read a scale, check tolerances, assemble machines.

Thanks again for any help...

As others have stated at of BD turbo's seem to have issues. Sorry to hear you were one of them.

How bad are the grooves in the compressor cover?
Could you sand them without removing to much material?

If that's do able you'll be able to sand the cover, install a new compressor wheel, and install new bearings. That wouldn't be to bad for you.
You'll just have to find a new compressor wheel.

You can have your assembly balanced for $55 from Midwest turbo Connection.
http://shop.midwestturboconnection.com/Turbo-Balancing-Service-Turbo-Balancing-Service.htm

I hope this helps you out.

Yellowchevy

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
I am not a professional but having gone through 4 of those I think it comes down to the exhaust housing being too tight and the t3 pedestal doesn't help. Step up to a t4 and a larger exhaust housing and I bet your problems go away...did for me.

2001-GMC-LB7

01GMCDMAX
Jul 27, 2010
NWNJ
I am not a professional but having gone through 4 of those I think it comes down to the exhaust housing being too tight and the t3 pedestal doesn't help. Step up to a t4 and a larger exhaust housing and I bet your problems go away...did for me.

Did you keep using the same turbo or change to a different one?

2001-GMC-LB7

01GMCDMAX
Jul 27, 2010
NWNJ
As others have stated at of BD turbo's seem to have issues. Sorry to hear you were one of them.

How bad are the grooves in the compressor cover?
Could you sand them without removing to much material?

If that's do able you'll be able to sand the cover, install a new compressor wheel, and install new bearings. That wouldn't be to bad for you.
You'll just have to find a new compressor wheel.

You can have your assembly balanced for $55 from Midwest turbo Connection.
http://shop.midwestturboconnection.com/Turbo-Balancing-Service-Turbo-Balancing-Service.htm

I hope this helps you out.

Yellowchevy

Thanks,

Look at previous post with picture, could probably smooth it out but definitely has some deep grooves...:Charger: