Tuning Writeup Call Out Challenge

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
Hi guys and gals,

As the title says, Tuning Writeup Call Out Challenge!!!

I have been a member of a completely different tuning forum over in the Turbo gasser world, and was part of ROM disassembly, Table Writeups, labeling, and definition files. That forum is the world renown tuning forum for Mitsubishi Evolution cars.

The Challenge: I hope anyone whos has tuned specific areas of your trucks, that worked, and info/knowledge you have gained, will do a labeled thread, table names and definitions, what they do, why you tuned it the way you did, and so forth, will come forward, and start making threads specific to these topics and areas of the ROMS. It would be so helpful to newcomers and people trying to get there feet wet in tuning the diesels a way to read the write up, and understand more in depth what actually is going on. This would help the community greatly. I intend as I navigate the diesel world, to do such writeups. I hope others with much more knowledge than me, will take this approach and join suit. Those of you who have done so much for this forum and diesel tuning I am sure have great methods that would benefit the community. We would be ever grateful to you if you will share your knowledge and wealth of info on topics and tables.

Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to read this, and thank you for any of you in advance, who take up the challenge and do some write ups.

Thanks in advance,

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You planning on breaking this down into each generation of Duramax? If so it could be quite extensive. Saving grace will be some of the tables and descriptions can be copy pasted into the others

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Sadly you won’t get much info. Problem is on a diesel you don’t have to make a tune specific for each individual truck. So if your business is to sell tunes, you sell an unlocked tune to someone they can copy and paste what you did and start selling that very same tune to other people. There are many people who do this for fun and learn from trial and error and they have shared tons of info. But to get someone who’s bought new trucks and spent hours on the dyno with a chamber pressure monitor dialing everything to share what they’ve learned I don’t think you’ll get much.

Not trying to be a dick, just didn’t want you to get discouraged when you don’t get much input on this.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
And I just got treed. LOL

While it would be awesome, I wouldn't hold my breathe on it happening to an extensive level because the ones who really have it figured out, for the most part, get paid to do it - meaning they are tuners. There is a small handful of guys who simply tune their own and give great hints to others doing the same that have deep knowledge and understanding of the tuning game and they might take part. Everyone else would just be along for the learning.

The private section of this site that was/is for the original McRat tuning customers had some of this type of discussion but that area of the forum is two things, private and the least posted to section of this forum for a long time now - essentially, it's dead.

Here's to hoping this does turn into something really cool though. :thumb: If it were going to happen in the duramax community, it surely has the best shot here since there are more duramax performance enthusiasts here than any other forum on the world wide interwebs accept for maybe Facebook which is also woefully overrun with knuckle-dragging jackasses and mouthy kids & degenerates. Good luck. :D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The tables in EFILive are for the most part labeled with fairly detailed descriptions on their function. If there isn't a description, the name is generally self explanatory. If there is neither, you are generally best off leaving it alone. For the most part, diesel tuning is pretty straightforward. Most of the adjustments you make are going to be driven by personal preference and testing. You will have to put in the work to figure out what you like and how to get the most out of your truck as far as response, turbo spooling, pedal feel, fuel economy, noise, etc. Plenty of guys here will point you in the right direction, but I can't imagine anyone that has put in the hours figuring this all out will hand you their recipe. You will have to get out there, make a change, datalog, pay attention to how the truck reacts to your changes, modify, flash, and repeat over and over. That's how all the guys that are legitimate tuners started. You are at a bit of a disadvantage as most of the guys doing this were generally all starting out around the same time and would bounce ideas off one another, but like I said, there are plenty of guys that will help. If you run into an issue you can't figure out, post up about it, and I bet you will find plenty of guys willing to steer you down the right path. Learning this doesn't happen overnight, but once you figure it out, it can be very rewarding.

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
You planning on breaking this down into each generation of Duramax? If so it could be quite extensive. Saving grace will be some of the tables and descriptions can be copy pasted into the others

Yes, that is the hope, it will make it searchable easy, and hopefully it is done by those who have tried and tested, failed, learned, and come back with something that works. If some of the tables cross over, then sweat, that can be stated in the write ups.

Not trying to be a dick, just didn’t want you to get discouraged when you don’t get much input on this.

Nope, no discourage at all, and no Dick seen here...lol. Just means I will be doing several writeups as I try, fail, learn, and then come back with something great.

While it would be awesome, I wouldn't hold my breathe on it happening to an extensive level because the ones who really have it figured out, for the most part, get paid to do it - meaning they are tuners. There is a small handful of guys who simply tune their own and give great hints to others doing the same that have deep knowledge and understanding of the tuning game and they might take part. Everyone else would just be along for the learning.

In a way, I am after this. THe ones who give hints, do a write up, become the method others strive for.

Here's to hoping this does turn into something really cool though. If it were going to happen in the duramax community, it surely has the best shot here since there are more duramax performance enthusiasts here than any other forum on the world wide interwebs

This is why I am here, I a member of most of them as of late, and I prefer this one over them. And yes, it would be really cool, and it starts with all of you who have something solid to input, do a write up my man, of what ever you got.

Definitely not doing this for money. Put that out here right now. Just trying to get more info out there, maybe some best practices. While yes the tables seem to have descriptions in EFI Live suite, doesn't mean they are self explanatory. Most of the notes refer to other tables. I would really like to just get some basic write ups out there for people to get a fundamental knowledge. The other forum I talked about for Mitsubishi enthusiast does this, and there are still several vendors who make money tuning on the private and public sector. Most the have done write ups and suggestions. They don't lose for there are way more things and in depth things they can tune for. But basic tuning writeups exist there for the purpose of teaching and allowing the do it yourselfers to get a fundamental understanding of what it is they are doing. I guess in short, for those of you who feel like doing a write up and posting it up as a new thread, that has been tried and tested by others, to build a wealth of knowledge in an easy searchable manner, please do. THose who don't no worries. I just want the community to grow.

Cheers,

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
While I applaud your get-go, You wont get anywhere. Anyone who's found anything worthwhile keeps it pretty close to their vest nowadays.

Sadly, this isnt 2005, where everyone shared just about everything over on DieselPlace, b/c nobody really knew what to do, so we were all trying to help one another (well, except for Steve Cole, and he'd never share any info). Then it became a business for some, and tunes were pirated and resold and the sharing stopped cold.

Wish it were different, but thats how it is. You have to learn on your own. There are hundreds of old threads here and at the Place from 2005-2010 that give snippets of info, which you have to glean and apply yourself. You can ask your questions here, but if it touches on something that someone worked very hard to figure out, they wont give the info for free.

......and to put my cynical hat on for a second, you being a newbie with absolutely no history in the Dmax world, whos to say you arent trying to find these things out so you can then go about selling tuning?

Sorry to be such a wet blanket, but it is what it is. People got greedy, thieves showed their ugly heads, and everyone lost.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Such a shame the diesel side of the community is like this. But I understand how and why it happened. It seems like a lot more of a limited market compared to the gas side of things.

Like you I am new trying to figure out the LLY quirks with the tables that are available.

Since I don't understand it And the trans was not acting the way I expected it to, I heeded Mike L.'s advice and flashed it back to stock. I am working on a full LBZ swap First, then I will mod and likely have it tuned by a professional for my Needs.

I don't care about the cost of tuning it correctly. I care more about the cost of it not being done properly and the cost of repairing it as a result of that.

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
......and to put my cynical hat on for a second, you being a newbie with absolutely no history in the Dmax world, whos to say you arent trying to find these things out so you can then go about selling tuning?

No interest!!! Period!!! I am merely interested in rebuilding a community. Interestingly enough, I've heard people talk about the LB7 and LLY why like they are out to pasture... So why not offer up as much info on these units?

Secondly, I used to work for one of the box tune companies, not as a tuner, but as tech support. I have no interest in doing this for a living. I just want to tune my truck the best I can, and help others. If that is a bad thing, well my apologies. I will freely give you the old Crazy Larry Tunes if you wish, they have all all but been deleted. I could sale these, though most people have moved on to EFI Live anyways.... but I really don't care to make a quick buck and capitalize on that. I am a You get what you put in kind of guy, that is how I have always approached the online forums regarding tuning. I learned a lot, tested a lot, spent a lot of seat time over in the gasser world, to help that community greatly, I am willing to do that here... Just need the heads up, "Hey is someone willing to test this" roll call. If it fits my mods, I am in. ...but I guess that has all but been done and gone considering I drive an LLY.

Such a shame the diesel side of the community is like this. But I understand how and why it happened. It seems like a lot more of a limited market compared to the gas side of things.

I've been driving my 2005 for 6 years now, set the BD unit back in 2012 and forgot about it... Now I want to move away from that, and learn how to tune with EFI Live. It is sad that a community closes its doors and minds to this potential wealth of knowledge, and maybe I'm just interpreting this by some of these comments and shouldn't be..

People are always going to steal things, I dont like, I disagree with it, and dont wish to participate in that.

What I do wish to participate in, is like some else stated about the era of 2005~2010 when the community was all about helping each other out. I have experienced some of that with my new posts in the last week, and am grateful for all of that.

I didn't have to write up the fuel tank mod, i ran across a few posts about what to do, but sometimes those posts weren't clear, or contradicted methods. I did it any ways to contribute. To give back for all the knowledge I may receive from the past, present and definitely in my future. "We only keep what we have, by giving it away" This speaks to a community who welcomes newcomers, gets them acclimated, and helps them so they intern give back to the community, and everyone's knowledge benefits. ...and maybe I am just crazy.

Either way, if anyone wants to participate, please do, those who don't, thanks for giving it a look and some feedback.

Cheers,

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Good luck in your Quest. (Cue Monty Python music) Apologies for raining on your parade like I did.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
A buddy of mine posted alot on the cummins forum about tuning, much like you'd to do. He wasn't a vendor, and the powers that be of the site told him he was flirting with advertising his tuning, which he was not. Not saying this site is like this, but that particular forum has a line drawn in the sand when it comes to tuning info being shared. He was banned for a while and was almost forced to pay the big vendor's fee to keep sharing his info. So, he just stopped..

Some sites try and protect the guys who have invested into the site, and will go some big lengths to show it.

I wish I were around in the mid-late 2000's to be apart of the efi live venture. BUT, there was enough info on the web for me to tune my LMM and be really happy/proud of it. I still learn something new with it from time to time when I get bored and fiddle. I've been at it for about a year and a half now. Like the other guys stated, finding wierd little quirks etc that you can't find online, and figuring out how to defeat it is quite rewarding. I was very impatient at first and almost gave up. It takes alot of time, patience, and paying really good attention to detail.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
A buddy of mine posted alot on the cummins forum about tuning, much like you'd to do. He wasn't a vendor, and the powers that be of the site told him he was flirting with advertising his tuning, which he was not. Not saying this site is like this, but that particular forum has a line drawn in the sand when it comes to tuning info being shared. He was banned for a while and was almost forced to pay the big vendor's fee to keep sharing his info. So, he just stopped..

Some sites try and protect the guys who have invested into the site, and will go some big lengths to show it.

I wish I were around in the mid-late 2000's to be apart of the efi live venture. BUT, there was enough info on the web for me to tune my LMM and be really happy/proud of it. I still learn something new with it from time to time when I get bored and fiddle. I've been at it for about a year and a half now. Like the other guys stated, finding wierd little quirks etc that you can't find online, and figuring out how to defeat it is quite rewarding. I was very impatient at first and almost gave up. It takes alot of time, patience, and paying really good attention to detail.
Your right, That does depend on the board and the people that run it. Some of my Contributions on another board are the most copied and regurgitated on the net.
I see some boards allow you to contribute as long as you don't openly solicit Or advertise that you have a business Or offer a service. While other boards cater to their sponsors.

Like you mentioned about the tuning. If shop 123ABC doesn't like that your explaining how to adjust the VE and timing after a cam swap to members that are DIY and are likely not going to buy a canned tune from that shop. That shop complains and says User X is cutting into their profits sharing that info because User Y was inquiring about their services. Now If user X openly says send me your file and I will help you, That could be crossing the line depending on the rules of the board.
But If user Y openly post his tune and ask for suggestions on what might be wrong and User X says try adjusting these tables slowly or start by smoothing this out. That's a different story.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I would help you, but it's going to be a pain to write up. Be faster to video while someone navigates through the tables. And to be honest, if you understand how the common rail fuel system on a diesel works, a lot is self explanatory. The reason some tables in EFI reference other tables, is that they all interact with each other, like a checks and balances system. Of course you can zero out a lot of the compensation tables if it's a straight race tune and you're running in warm weather / low altitude.

If I ever get time to, and figure out how to video my computer (and have it look good), I might put something together. But for now, I will suggest what everyone else did, search old Diesel Place posts and stuff here, maybe look into buying the books from Starlite Diesel.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You newer guys have no idea what the Dmax world was like 10-13 years ago. It was amazing what happened when all those smart people combined forces on problems.
If you all want to openly share info, I am pretty confident that you will get absolutely NO crap from the Staff here, just as long as you're not doing it for profit.
I myself was only telling the o/p what the current world is like. This site was and always will be about Dmax performance. Have at it.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
You newer guys have no idea what the Dmax world was like 10-13 years ago. It was amazing what happened when all those smart people combined forces on problems.
If you all want to openly share info, I am pretty confident that you will get absolutely NO crap from the Staff here, just as long as you're not doing it for profit.
I myself was only telling the o/p what the current world is like. This site was and always will be about Dmax performance. Have at it.

No sir we do not. But I have followed EFI Live and have spent a considerable amount of money on it. I am not a tuner Nor have I ever claimed to be. I have to get help With my stuff. Although I do understand part of what is being done.

I could not afford to purchase a diesel truck until now and even then, The LBZ trucks were just out of my reach being almost 5K more for the same as my LLY.

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
If I ever get time to, and figure out how to video my computer (and have it look good), I might put something together. But for now, I will suggest what everyone else did, search old Diesel Place posts and stuff here, maybe look into buying the books from Starlite Diesel.

I like your thinking, might be worth it, and I am and have been searching the forums you state. Thanks again.

Your all good bud, I don't mind being told the forum rules or interpretations, etc. Thanks for your feedback none the less.

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
As an example, A write up to clear up or itemize this specific thread I think would help: https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13904

It's things like this that I think would help having a write up. I don't know how to explain the line in the sand of things like this vs a full tune. But I have noticed as I search the boards, there are not a lot of write ups on things. And maybe I am just not searching the right keywords, like someone else suggested searching the table names, etc. I will start trying that.

Again thanks to all, and thanks in advance,

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It's not that complicated really. What exactly are you having trouble with? If you have a specific question, ask away. If you want a step by step on how to tune, you will not find that here other than some of McRat's old threads such as his 20/20 tow tune. If you want to learn how to tune without having to figure it out through trial and error like most of us did, there are several tuners who put on tuning seminars to teach EFILive basics and how to write a tune. Usually this is over the course of a weekend; I have no idea about the cost.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Search by table names like I suggested before. Sometimes different generations have different table names so familiar self with those to and search them out. Search by keyword like reducing lag, fuel pressure, boost, and cylinder pressure monitoring. You’re looking mostly for post before 2009. And searching those things you will see a pattern for members that have contributed a ton of knowledge when it comes to tuning. You will see members like fingers, Josh H, Tony, Idaho Rob, Mark, Bobo and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk