LBZ: Tuning for dummies?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'm used to tuning my LB7 and I've done a few LLY's for people, but is there any write up or something that breaks down LBZ tuning for dummies? I'm used to doing all of my tuning in MM3 of fuel, but looking at the LBZ tuning it all references a torque value and then you have to go to another table to convert the torque value to a MM3 value. Am I right in my thinking here or is there a way to simplify wrapping my mind around tuning in this differrent format? I'm trying to do a basic DSP5 for a friend to get rid of his EGR codes and give him a few basic tunes to work with. Any help is appreciated.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Think of it as just having one more conversion...ie instead of converting a TP% to MM2 its converting TP% to requested torque and requested torque to MM2. thats how i see it anyways. The nice thing about this system is if you dont change the requested torque tables, and long as you dont get too crazy with the tuning, the defuel function will still work quite well without hours of loging and tweaking.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Think of it as just having one more conversion...ie instead of converting a TP% to MM2 its converting TP% to requested torque and requested torque to MM2. thats how i see it anyways. The nice thing about this system is if you dont change the requested torque tables, and long as you dont get too crazy with the tuning, the defuel function will still work quite well without hours of loging and tweaking.

That's sort of how I was thinking it worked, just didn't know if there was some special secret squirrel science to it or not. Not planning o nanything big for him, just shut off the EGR, flash it to an LBZ(he has an early 06 LLY), and add in a stock, econ, hot for stock trans, tow tune, and a tow tune with turbo brake.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I wish there was. Thank god I had the neens to hook me up back when I had the vvt and had some really good tunes. I have been attempting to tune my truck myself since I put the 464 turbo on last year and have really been struggling.
Wicked defuel, and horrible shifting seems to be the only things I ever accomplish whenever I try upping the power. Not 100% convinced that some of that isn't my poor abused stock trans though.......

Now that I need to use timing and fuel to spool the turbo-I'm lost! Sure wish we had the LB7 or LLY tables even. IMO it looks alot simpilar to tune a non-vvt engine with their tables. More than likely though, I'm just going about it all wrong.:eek:

Good Luck!

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I didn't figure it out entirely, but it looks like I got it good enough to stumble through it. I did a DSP5 with stock, econ, hot, towin, and towing with turbo brake. And it seems to drive pretty good. I cheated and used DOZERs milage tune, but I've had to make a few tweaks as it pops MAF codes on it(I'm guessing the lower boost throws off the expected MAF flow rate). The hot tune is nothing spectaculiar, but it will break em loose up into 3rd at will with only 20% more fuel in it:D. It's tough trying to wrap my head around the extra equation of torque being thrown into the mix instead of just using % to MM3 of fuel.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Ignore the TQ table really you can tune around it. I think I played with it really just to make sure the power came on smooth, but I don't know if it really does much. The max TQ you will see on a log is 775 or so no matter what you do.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I think I have it figured out. I zeroed out the expected EGR flow tables, and I'm hoping this is throwing off the expected flow. If not tI'll flash the stock tune back in and see if it still codes. I know the MAF is working as it is giving me a good reading when I scanned it. Just can't figure out this code that keeps popping up as soon as I start it.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Well I determined it is definately the DSP5 tune causing this. So which OS is reccomended for a DSP5 in an LLY/LBZ? I see 2483 is the latest one, but have read it has pretty aggressive tuning for the boost tables to help keep the EGR valve cleared out. I was using the 6128 before, and I couldn't get rid of this pesky P0102 and a ghost limp mode every 3rd start. Is the 6698 a stable OS?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I just did a DSP5 install on the 6128 but it was a 06LBZ not LLY. Worked for me sounds like you got a ass kicker there :confused:

It is proving to be one. I'm gonna load in a 6698 and try that I guess. If all else fails I'll delete the P0102 and max out the limiter for torque with DTC.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
06 LLY is mechanically and electrically the same as an LBZ; the only difference is the tuning. You could just load an LBZ OS if you want to. If you want to keep an LLY OS, here is my stock tune from my 06 LLY. I don't run a DSP tune, so I can't tell you if it has any problems associated with that, but I have never had any problems with anything without a DSP switch.

Attachments

• Stock 06 LLY OS 3624.zip
    847.2 KB · Views: 7

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Well I tryed out a 6698 OS, and found it does it with it as well. It's wierd though as it doesn't immediately throw the code now with the 6698 like it does with the 6128. I give up and I'm just gonna turn the code off and disable the torque limiter with DTC so it doesn't go into reduced engine power. I've verified that teh MAF is actually working and doing it's job in the tuning, so this is the only solution I see at this time.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Does it happen in every DSP position? I saw on the EFILive forum you said you tried stock tunes, and the truck didn't throw any codes. Have you tried flashing in a DSP operating system with all stock tables to see if it still throws the code? How about flashing in the base tune as a single tune rather than a DSP tune?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Does it happen in every DSP position? I saw on the EFILive forum you said you tried stock tunes, and the truck didn't throw any codes. Have you tried flashing in a DSP operating system with all stock tables to see if it still throws the code? How about flashing in the base tune as a single tune rather than a DSP tune?

I flashed in the stock tune and I didn't get the code. When I flashed in teh 6698 it takes it a minute or so before it happens. I already put the DSP5 switch in it, and the guy really wants a DSP5 tune. I got ahold of a well known tuner whom I bought the switch from, and he said he has encountered this a few times now on teh LBZ's with a DSP5 set-up. He said to shut the code off and go. It is referencing the MAF like it should be and is reading correctly, so I'm just gonna shut the P0102 off entirely and call it good.