Trans

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Suncoast Stage III if 500-550hp is the highest you ever plan to go. But as our name suggests this stuff is addicting and for the price difference many choose the SC Stage IV. We have the 1058 in a handful of local trucks, including mine, and I like it. The 1056 and 1054 also work very nicely for fairly stock trucks.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I loved my III, they have been known to hold much more power than advertised.

Not much more for very long. The stage 3 adds one more clutch to the C3. It helps a lot but not enough.
McRat's truck Big Blue had a stage 3 installed by me and had over 500 passes in the 1/4. Pat was not running the kind of power back then. I rode in Blue a couple of weeks ago and I will tell you that the stage 3 kit will not give him 500 passes now.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
Not much more for very long. The stage 3 adds one more clutch to the C3. It helps a lot but not enough.
McRat's truck Big Blue had a stage 3 installed by me and had over 500 passes in the 1/4. Pat was not running the kind of power back then. I rode in Blue a couple of weeks ago and I will tell you that the stage 3 kit will not give him 500 passes now.

Maybe we should make another thread to keep on topic but, what has changed with the III since "back then" to "now". Just trying to be informed since I will do another tranny build this summer.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Maybe we should make another thread to keep on topic but, what has changed with the III since "back then" to "now". Just trying to be informed since I will do another tranny build this summer.

Why don't you start another tranny thread with the instructions for me to stay out of it, and I will,. Then you can tell everyone how much your stage 3 will hold.
I answer questions from my experience honestly. I know what holds and doesn't hold.
How did your first build go? Any issues?
Back to your question. What changed? Horsepower. When the stage 3 came out there were very few trucks over 400 hp. Now there is no one under 500 hp. Stage 3 on its own will not do well at 500 hp. It needs to be pumped up with pressure and other mods. stage 4 has these other mods plus.
Go ahead and start your new thread and I will stay out of it.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
no mike, I wanted your opinion thats why I asked for it. My first build I used a diagram off of the dp to shim my main pressure, the diagram was wrong and I shimmed the converter flow valve but you already knew that. I was just under the impression that the SC3 would hold 500hp for pass after pass. After all mine held fine with stock main pressure and a shimmed converter flow valve.

I had no intent of pissing you off, obviously you have some sort of agenda here, my question to you was, why wont the SC3 hold 550hp?? Did something change.

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Straight from the SC site they only recommend the SC III up to 500hp. IMO nowadays the SC III is more for guys that don't ever plan to go to the track and want some insurance for heavy towing with some added power. For the price difference the SC IV kit is the way to go if you plan to be at the track. With the right tuning over 500hp has been put down from every year of stock Duramax with a lift pump - why should you limit your fun or risk burning it up with an SC III.

Last edited:

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
Straight from the SC site they only recommend the SC III up to 500hp. IMO nowadays the SC III is more for guys that don't ever plan to go to the track and want some insurance for heavy towing with some added power. For the price difference the SC IV kit is the way to go if you plan to be at the track. With the right tuning over 500hp has been put down from every year of stock Duramax with a lift pump - why should you limit your fun or risk burning it up with an SC III.

Have you ever tore down a trans with a SCIII?

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
Thx for the info need some direction finally have some cash for a trans !

Just go with the SC IV. The III would hold for a while but do you want to do it once and be done with it? Or do you plan on takin it apart after 15k miles?

I went w/ a kit that added a clutch to the C3 and I bumped up the pressure and it didnt last at 500+ Hp.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa

What changed? Horsepower.

Did something change.

He never said anything changed with the trans....just the hp of Blue

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
Just go with the SC IV. The III would hold for a while but do you want to do it once and be done with it? Or do you plan on takin it apart after 15k miles?

I went w/ a kit that added a clutch to the C3 and I bumped up the pressure and it didnt last at 500+ Hp.

The SC3 does more than add a clutch to the C3:rolleyes:

Please It really bothers me to see incorrect info posted, its not good for anyone.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
no mike, I wanted your opinion thats why I asked for it. My first build I used a diagram off of the dp to shim my main pressure, the diagram was wrong and I shimmed the converter flow valve but you already knew that. I was just under the impression that the SC3 would hold 500hp for pass after pass. After all mine held fine with stock main pressure and a shimmed converter flow valve.

I had no intent of pissing you off, obviously you have some sort of agenda here, my question to you was, why wont the SC3 hold 550hp?? Did something change.

How did I get off topic? The only thing that pisses me of about you is that you think you know more than you do and want to pass your information on to others. The diagram was corresct as far as your pressure mod goes. you could not read it. Why didn't you call me when you couldn't figure it out? Because you thought you knew how to do it. You fumbled through your build and now you want to tell everyone what works and doesn't. problem is; people need an honest answer that they can depend on. I try to give it to them. Your intentions are probably good but you don't know enough. answers like " stage 3's are know for holding a lot more power " is a rarity and not the norm. There are stock Allis running an Edge on stage five that never limped, but yours won't because most never will.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
my stage 3 is holding quite well but it took mike helping me put some steriods into it , it is not the standard stage 3 any longer i will see how far it will go and what power it will take but i recomend the stage 4 to anyone who has asked my opinion if they plan to race/pull with there truck . so to keep this thread on topic stage 4 and if your west get the parts from mike l and east get them from big dipper . and let the person selling you the parts help chose your converter personal preference will always scew the proper info .

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The only thing that pisses me of about you is that you think you know more than you do and want to pass your information on to others.

like how that extra doo-hicky bolted to LLY valve bodies is called the G solenoid (not the F solenoid, like some other people were referring it to as, and when corrected they said "F, G, whatever, same difference") :baby:

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
The SC3 does more than add a clutch to the C3:rolleyes:

Please It really bothers me to see incorrect info posted, its not good for anyone.

It bothers me when people like you cant read a thread right. Where did I say a SCIII adds one clutch?

Read it again. I said I went with A KIT that adds a clutch to the C3s and it wasnt a SCIII.:rolleyes::rolleyes: