Trailer Brakes Too Weak

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Depending on how your controller is set, it may not be pushing full voltage when the trailer is connected. With no load, the controller pushes full voltage, but there is nothing there to absorb it, so it stays up.

Check your truck side plug for proper tension and corrosion on the lugs. They may look clean, but actually be slightly covered in corrosion (like aluminum powder)
Considering the test with the 05 and 16 model trucks I mentioned above I think 8.5v is just all this truck and controller are going to give. Ill have it all hooked back up here ina bit and as long as the brakes are strong ill be happy. Im honestly tires of messing with it, I have almost $2,000 in the new wiring and new brakes and paying a friend to help. I only paid $5,500 for the trailer

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Considering the test with the 05 and 16 model trucks I mentioned above I think 8.5v is just all this truck and controller are going to give. Ill have it all hooked back up here ina bit and as long as the brakes are strong ill be happy. Im honestly tires of messing with it, I have almost $2,000 in the new wiring and new brakes and paying a friend to help. I only paid $5,500 for the trailer
I know it's an old threads..
Size time length equals restriction.
I had worse voltage drop on mine when it was e brakes.. 4 magnets pull 3-4amp each.. amps are constant voltage is variable..
4 brake system that's 12-16amps pull over ~50' of wire from batter to wheel hubs.. ended up running 8gau wire.. went from 6V drop to .5-1V drop

Dean E

Mar 30, 2022
Blair, NE
I know it's an old threads..
Size time length equals restriction.
I had worse voltage drop on mine when it was e brakes.. 4 magnets pull 3-4amp each.. amps are constant voltage is variable..
4 brake system that's 12-16amps pull over ~50' of wire from batter to wheel hubs.. ended up running 8gau wire.. went from 6V drop to .5-1V drop
Very good! I went back and checked my reference charts for voltage drop and current carrying capabilities and 10 gauge would have put you at 17 amps for each brake pulling a 4 amp load but at that distance and everything else considered 8 would have been the best option. Most certainly something that you won't find on most wired trailers for electric brakes. About the most I have seen for that is 12 gauge and usually 14 is most common. Dean

Reactions: juddski88

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Very good! I went back and checked my reference charts for voltage drop and current carrying capabilities and 10 gauge would have put you at 17 amps for each brake pulling a 4 amp load but at that distance and everything else considered 8 would have been the best option. Most certainly something that you won't find on most wired trailers for electric brakes. About the most I have seen for that is 12 gauge and usually 14 is most common. Dean
I've replaced 16ga wire on a 4 brake setup

Reactions: Dean E

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I replaced the 16 gauge wire on my trailer brakes with hydraulic tubing. No voltage drop there 😛

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I replaced the 16 gauge wire on my trailer brakes with hydraulic tubing. No voltage drop there 😛
So you say🧐

Put a small battery on the trailer.. the EOH pump will run substantially better. It will pull upwards of 40A.
Use the tow vehicle + bat circuit to keep trailer bat charged.. the battery acts like a capacity/surge tank of sorts.
😎

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
So you say🧐

Put a small battery on the trailer.. the EOH pump will run substantially better. It will pull upwards of 40A.
Use the tow vehicle + bat circuit to keep trailer bat charged.. the battery acts like a capacity/surge tank of sorts.
😎
I have a bank of 3000 farad capacitors to take care of that 👍. My trailer is not used often so no risk of the battery going bad from sitting with these

Reactions: malibu795