Info: Toyota Tundra towing the space shuttle...Really

bartman432

Nov 4, 2011
I can't believe a Toyota product was chosen to tow the Space Shuttle, which is such an important piece of American history. I think Chevy/GMC, Ford, or Dodge should have been allowed to handle this chore. I hope the Toyota's rear end falls out, or has a catastrophic powertrain failure right on TV for all to see
biggrin.gif

llybyppe

May 11, 2009
It's not. It is a ptomotional stunt. The science center where the space shuttle is calling home is sponsored by Toyota. I am installing the stage for the science center tonight on the shuttle route. I have heard them talking about the commercial Toyota is going to make

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
So, they took it off the main tow rig/mover and onto a lighter weight un-powered (supposedly) trailer and a tundra towed it?

So, that means my truck could tow a battle ship!!!

:roflmao:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
its a PR stunt, nothing more. Any GM half ton with a 6.2 (or ford ecoboost whatever) in low range could do the exact same thing.

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
?....

So, that means my truck could tow a battle ship!!!

:roflmao:

Actually, you might be able to tow a battleship....

My grandfather was a boilermaker in England as a young man. Drove rivets on the hull of the Queen Mary (I still have his rivet hammer). Anyway, he always told me as a boy that if it were moving at all, he could keep that ship going by himself by pulling on a lightweight rope....

beanpole209

May 5, 2010
Not to get political here, but really I would feel better about buying a new Toyota than Chevy any day. Mainly, they just do not offer a diesel. I know many people with newer toyota's, they are alot nicer, and have way more power than chevy trucks. Toyota probably produces more parts here than Chevy too.

Besides that, I HATE!!!! the Chevy fuel management system. That alone would make it impossible for me to chose a chevy truck.

Go test drive a new chevy 1500, then go try a tundra! Ive driven both extensively, and the Toy wins in every category. After that, check out the resale values of both. Then you'll be sold if you're not a brand name nut swinger.

That being said, I drive a duramax. I feel confident that if toyota made a diesel, this would be Hino diesel forum, and we would be talking about how crappy the duramax is. just IMHO

jevanb

Feb 28, 2011
montrose, michigan
Toyotas are built in America :thumb:

Can't say that for all the "American" trucks :(

I can say my truck was built in america because I drive past the plant every day (flint truck and bus) . as a matter of fact everyone in MI drives american ford/dodge/chevy vehicles, we all receive income one way or another from their sales

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Beanpole u are lost!! Plan and simple. Read the dam fine print. There towing capacity is in 4lo under 15mph. Go pull a bobcat trailer with a s300 on it or a 30ft camper and tell me toyota wins. Hahaha or try and stop it. Why is there no construction companies running toyota trucks?? Cause there not a truck worth a shit. If u just drive around sure there just like a car, but dont sit there and tell me there nicer. How many farmers run toyota trucks?? Lol sorry, but that was the dumbest thing ive heard in awhile. I hope toyota comes out with a diesel, first thing they need to do is build a truck to handle the weight. U could pay me to own a toyota anything. Junk junk junk.

JoeyD

WTF
Apr 21, 2008
I see more and more Toyota Tundra's out there working every day. Towing landscape trailers and even plowing. They are on par with GM and Ford 1/2 ton trucks.

ku 808

Sep 6, 2010
I live in Hawaii and every other house has a toy in driveway except mine had a bunch of diffrent toy pick ups and thats what thay are TOY'S a full size man wont settle for a tacoma/tundra under powered but I had a supercharged 4.8 tundra it kick a$$ but ate fuel and a newer 4.0 v6 would run me 100+ dollers a week to get to work when my LBZ would eat both for breakfast all around and runs way cheaper and try hook up a heavy load with a toy and watch the temp go right through the roof I can pull a 14k load up a 6% grade @ 65 no problem try that in a tundra its not going to happen I know I tryed:thumb:

servant

Hard Core Chevy
Jan 9, 2013
High Hill, MO
I'd hook up to any two Toyota's any time, any place!! I've driven the Toyota as a rental a few times. Had a hard time seeing around the A pillar, felt cramped, trouble with the B pillar when looking back to change lanes... which I had to do because the mirror coverage is crap! I'd rather drive my truck across the country than drive a Toyota around the block! My Truck = '08 3500 HD Dually Crew-cab LTZ

metron

Sep 13, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Supposedly it was real. 4WD Low not to exceed 2.5 mph for more than 100 yards.

I love the commercial disclaimer that "the Tundra is towing far beyond its capacity for a short distance."

Last edited: