Thinking about moving

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I was in your shoes, spent the last two years looking, comparing, planning my exodus from the State of CT.

I looked at NC, SC, and GA.

Tax wise SC was the better way to go for me, plus I wanted to be minutes from the ocean and beaches, not hours.

Charleston, SC is my new home. Fuel is way cheaper, and taxes on vehicles is comparable to my CT tax on vehicles, but my CT town had a super low mill rate in CT and it was a wash for me on that.

People are nicer, weather is awesome, and houses are really cheap compared to the North.

Either way you look at it leaving CT is a plus, the State went to hell and with solid Democrat rule and a Dem Governor the state is screwed.

Good Luck to you.................BTW, SC caps sales tax on vehicles ate $300.........LOL

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I do love NC. The first time I was ever in NC i flew into Charlotte and was working in Mooresville for a week. One the 2nd day i called both my parents and told them I wasn't coming home. My mom is looking into buying a vacation house down there and if she does ill be spending a lot of long weekends there....or get a job and take the house over haha

I love that area of NC even more then the coast. I have family in mooresville and newton, right in the heart of NASCAR!

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
I was in your shoes, spent the last two years looking, comparing, planning my exodus from the State of CT.

I looked at NC, SC, and GA.

Tax wise SC was the better way to go for me, plus I wanted to be minutes from the ocean and beaches, not hours.

Charleston, SC is my new home. Fuel is way cheaper, and taxes on vehicles is comparable to my CT tax on vehicles, but my town has a siuper low mill rate in CT and it was a wash for me on that.

People are nicer, weather is awesome, and houses are really cheap compared to the North.

Either way you look at it leaving CT is a plus, the State went to hell and with solid Democrat rule and a Dem Governor the state is screwed.

Good Luck to you.................BTW, SC caps sales tax on vehicles ate $300.........LOL
Thanks for the info Tony! May have to take a ride down and check it out. Oh, and have my truck tuned too. lol
Great, more Yankees...
:hug:

:D :hug:

mgramke1

Addict
Aug 14, 2014
Becker
I agree, don't move for family. But if you are unhappy with your current state, a move can be a very good thing.

I grew up in CA, and thought it was alright. Then I went to school in AZ, and absolutely loved the freedom, laws, and culture. Said I would never go back to CA. Ended up back in CA for a job, and stuck it out ~2 years. After having tasted real freedom, I couldn't stand it. I moved up to Boise, Idaho, and have loved every minute of it since.

Don't get me wrong, California is a beautiful state, but the laws, (most) people, and culture are all crap (in my opinion). Idaho (and Arizona) are much better fits for me, and I am glad I decided to move.

But don't be one of those people that moves to a new state, then tries to change the laws to match where they came from. You liked the new state BECAUSE the laws were NOT like where you came from. Get settled in, get a feeling for the culture, and then consider voting things in/out.

X2 on Boise, I was out there for a couple weeks redoing the outside of Cabelas and loved the area.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I spent a couple of years in CT, also Mass, MD and Virginia and Hawaii. I've also lived in CA, WA, Nebraska and long time in Alaska and Oregon.

You have to decide what is important to you. If you are married it is much more difficult, especially if you have kids. Cost of living, job opportunities, the type of recreation you enjoy and the local politics are all important. The last one gets more important as you get older.

I now live where I was born and raised, left the day I turned 18 and told everyone to hold on to something as I was going to cause a huge suction as I went out the door. Took me 46 years but I finally came back. I don't have a wife or kids and the things I like to do are here or close by. While the local politics are conservative, the state as a whole votes liberal controlled by about 3 counties which totally sucks in my opinion. I still have a few friends that I grew up with that live here which is good. Weather makes a big difference to me, not too hot, not too cold, not much snow or rain and lots of sunshine. Almost no bugs or things that will eat you. Only a few rattle snakes.

I like bird hunting, fishing, playing golf and drag racing. Bird hunting is nothing like it was when I was a kid, but I don't have to drive too far to find good hunting. There are about 30 of the best golf courses you will ever play within an hours drive. Drag strip is only about 2 miles from my house. It's only 1/8 mile but a good 1/4 track is only about 2 1/2 hours away.

No sales tax, property tax is a bit on the high side, state tax is 10% of your federal tax and auto registration and driver license fees are about as cheap as anywhere in the country. Electrical power is cheap compared to other parts of the country as well. Marijuana is legal if that's your thing as is death with dignity when you are on death's door and you want to control the way you go out.

Bend Oregon is one of the coolest places in the country, as was stated earlier is the #1 place for micro breweries in the country if you are into to that, also a great ski and snowmobile area. State also is a wino's paradise if you like red wine.

Saying all of that, since I look left at Genghis Khan, the fu@king liberal state politics is about to drive me out. Idaho around Boise is great as is Nevada in the Carson City/Minden-Gardnerville area.

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
I spent a couple of years in CT, also Mass, MD and Virginia and Hawaii. I've also lived in CA, WA, Nebraska and long time in Alaska and Oregon.

You have to decide what is important to you. If you are married it is much more difficult, especially if you have kids. Cost of living, job opportunities, the type of recreation you enjoy and the local politics are all important. The last one gets more important as you get older.

I now live where I was born and raised, left the day I turned 18 and told everyone to hold on to something as I was going to cause a huge suction as I went out the door. Took me 46 years but I finally came back. I don't have a wife or kids and the things I like to do are here or close by. While the local politics are conservative, the state as a whole votes liberal controlled by about 3 counties which totally sucks in my opinion. I still have a few friends that I grew up with that live here which is good. Weather makes a big difference to me, not too hot, not too cold, not much snow or rain and lots of sunshine. Almost no bugs or things that will eat you. Only a few rattle snakes.

I like bird hunting, fishing, playing golf and drag racing. Bird hunting is nothing like it was when I was a kid, but I don't have to drive too far to find good hunting. There are about 30 of the best golf courses you will ever play within an hours drive. Drag strip is only about 2 miles from my house. It's only 1/8 mile but a good 1/4 track is only about 2 1/2 hours away.

No sales tax, property tax is a bit on the high side, state tax is 10% of your federal tax and auto registration and driver license fees are about as cheap as anywhere in the country. Electrical power is cheap compared to other parts of the country as well. Marijuana is legal if that's your thing as is death with dignity when you are on death's door and you want to control the way you go out.

Bend Oregon is one of the coolest places in the country, as was stated earlier is the #1 place for micro breweries in the country if you are into to that, also a great ski and snowmobile area. State also is a wino's paradise if you like red wine.

Saying all of that, since I look left at Genghis Khan, the fu@king liberal state politics is about to drive me out. Idaho around Boise is great as is Nevada in the Carson City/Minden-Gardnerville area.

I'm happy in sc love it here high 60

Very true. This past state election is what really got me thinking. Also just renewed my license and registration, $400 down the drain. Cost of living here is high and I feel like all I'm paying for is for people to tell me what I cant do lol. I do fish, golf and am starting to get into hunting. I used to ride and race motocross a bit, but got out of it due to cost and injuries. Would like to get back into trail riding though. Thanks guys!

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm leaving Missouri this month (1 hour West of STL). Me, the Wife and 2 kids are moving to Scottsdale Arizona. I was gone from Missouri with the Military and school for ten years. I had just made it back to MO as a helicopter pilot but unfortunately a medical issue stopped that abruptly. We are excited about Arizona but somewhat disappointed to leave family and old friends again. Going out there to wrench on choppers for the company I used to fly for.

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
Just leaving CT is an improvement.

BTW, SC is a deep RED STATE......we have Trey Gowdy, now if we can rid of Lindsey Graham that will be a hige step in the "RIGHT" Direction.
I agree 100%
I'm leaving Missouri this month (1 hour West of STL). Me, the Wife and 2 kids are moving to Scottsdale Arizona. I was gone from Missouri with the Military and school for ten years. I had just made it back to MO as a helicopter pilot but unfortunately a medical issue stopped that abruptly. We are excited about Arizona but somewhat disappointed to leave family and old friends again. Going out there to wrench on choppers for the company I used to fly for.
Not gonna lie, I'm nervous about leaving all I've ever known but I think it will be a very good step for me. Again, thanks for all the help guys!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Wow 34 post and not mention of TX.:confused: Its the best state in the union... Really its hell figuring out where to live. I move around a bit and really didn't mind living any where. All had there pros and cons, but TX is home. I spent a few months in Hot Springs, AR. It really grew on me, but work and wadges seemed low to me. If you love to hunt and fish its the best "warmer" i have ever been.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I like to hunt, fish, ski, water ski, ride dirtbikes, and ride snowmobiles. I can do all of that and more in my state, and we have world class of everything I mentioned. The cost of living is low here, and the wages are average. We have all seasons, so you won't get burnt out on one type of weather. My state isn't as right wing as I wish it was, but we do ok. I really like idaho. Plus we have a concentration of diesel shops that are at the top of the industry!

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Wow 34 post and not mention of TX.:confused: Its the best state in the union... Really its hell figuring out where to live. I move around a bit and really didn't mind living any where. All had there pros and cons, but TX is home. I spent a few months in Hot Springs, AR. It really grew on me, but work and wadges seemed low to me. If you love to hunt and fish its the best "warmer" i have ever been.

I spent a month in Texas one night. Plus I have an issue with flat country, tornados and big mofuken rattle snakes.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach

From a Texan born in Galveston I can tell you coastal NC is where it's at buddy. Don't get me wrong I love Texas but you can't beat blue water, white sand beaches and hot, sweet Carolina girls...:D