Thinking about moving

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
So I'm thinking it may be time to get out of CT. As I'm sure others know my frustrations with this state. I've been looking to possibly move south as I have some family in Atlanta and am also looking at places in North Carolina. Kind of just looking for some opinions on good areas and maybe GM dealers as I would like to stay a GM tech or maybe move into a "performance" shop. I know I don't post on here much but I do a lot of reading here and appreciate all of your help! Thanks!

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
So I'm thinking it may be time to get out of CT. As I'm sure others know my frustrations with this state. I've been looking to possibly move south as I have some family in Atlanta and am also looking at places in North Carolina. Kind of just looking for some opinions on good areas and maybe GM dealers as I would like to stay a GM tech or maybe move into a "performance" shop. I know I don't post on here much but I do a lot of reading here and appreciate all of your help! Thanks!

I can understand not liking your current state, but do you have a good job and good friends? I was living in Indiana, had the best job I'll ever have, and moved back to OH based on the sole fact its where I grew up.

My advice is don't move based on family. For me, it was peachy, but things happen and I don't really talk that much to them anymore. Makes you regret moving even more. :(

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
I can understand not liking your current state, but do you have a good job and good friends? I was living in Indiana, had the best job I'll ever have, and moved back to OH based on the sole fact its where I grew up.

My advice is don't move based on family. For me, it was peachy, but things happen and I don't really talk that much to them anymore. Makes you regret moving even more. :(

Family was not the main reason. I work at a dealer now and it's not the greatest. I wouldn't mind working at a independent shop again as I feel like you're treated more like a human being and not just a number. As far as friends, it seems that most have grown apart and it's hard to find true friends these days. Been looking to buy a house for a while now, but don't want to if I just don't like living here anymore. Was born and raised in Willington CT. Thanks guys!

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
Family was not the main reason. I work at a dealer now and it's not the greatest. I wouldn't mind working at a independent shop again as I feel like you're treated more like a human being and not just a number. As far as friends, it seems that most have grown apart and it's hard to find true friends these days. Been looking to buy a house for a while now, but don't want to if I just don't like living here anymore. Was born and raised in Willington CT. Thanks guys!

I use to live in Willington for a couple years now in Columbia but I am also looking out of state. Very high cost of living here for nothing.

rickaveryjr

Nov 29, 2012
CT
I travel quite a bit for work and have seen a decent amount of the US. I thought that I would find a lot of new places I would want to live, but after a just a few days being anywhere I kind of look forward to coming back home to CT...not sure why

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I agree, don't move for family. But if you are unhappy with your current state, a move can be a very good thing.

I grew up in CA, and thought it was alright. Then I went to school in AZ, and absolutely loved the freedom, laws, and culture. Said I would never go back to CA. Ended up back in CA for a job, and stuck it out ~2 years. After having tasted real freedom, I couldn't stand it. I moved up to Boise, Idaho, and have loved every minute of it since.

Don't get me wrong, California is a beautiful state, but the laws, (most) people, and culture are all crap (in my opinion). Idaho (and Arizona) are much better fits for me, and I am glad I decided to move.

But don't be one of those people that moves to a new state, then tries to change the laws to match where they came from. You liked the new state BECAUSE the laws were NOT like where you came from. Get settled in, get a feeling for the culture, and then consider voting things in/out.

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
This place is great. I've lived in the south and the midwest as well, but I like Colorado the best out of all of them.
I've heard many good things about Colorado.
I use to live in Willington for a couple years now in Columbia but I am also looking out of state. Very high cost of living here for nothing.
Seriously, the property taxes on my truck alone are almost as much as the taxes on houses I'm looking at down south.
I travel quite a bit for work and have seen a decent amount of the US. I thought that I would find a lot of new places I would want to live, but after a just a few days being anywhere I kind of look forward to coming back home to CT...not sure why
Never thought I here someone say that. Lol
I agree, don't move for family. But if you are unhappy with your current state, a move can be a very good thing.

I grew up in CA, and thought it was alright. Then I went to school in AZ, and absolutely loved the freedom, laws, and culture. Said I would never go back to CA. Ended up back in CA for a job, and stuck it out ~2 years. After having tasted real freedom, I couldn't stand it. I moved up to Boise, Idaho, and have loved every minute of it since.

Don't get me wrong, California is a beautiful state, but the laws, (most) people, and culture are all crap (in my opinion). Idaho (and Arizona) are much better fits for me, and I am glad I decided to move.

But don't be one of those people that moves to a new state, then tries to change the laws to match where they came from. You liked the new state BECAUSE the laws were NOT like where you came from. Get settled in, get a feeling for the culture, and then consider voting things in/out.
Very good advice. Thank you

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I live in wilmington nc. Greatest place on earth if you ask me and many thousands of others. Beautiful women are a dime a dozen, there is a good university, Wrightsville beach is 5 minutes away, we have a large port, incredible downtown bar/retaurant scene (almost no chain garbage either), people are moral and freindly and we have been in a building boom for a decade now (what recession? Lol). Only downside is its expensive to live here and the only jobs are service related, we have zero industry jobs unless you count GE which builds aircraft engines and nuclear bombs here. HD Dave moved here and said he will never leave now, hell, he basically has to be bribed home now... lol...

Come on down for a visit, the high is 65 today...:D

rickaveryjr

Nov 29, 2012
CT
I live in wilmington nc. Greatest place on earth if you ask me and many thousands of others. Beautiful women are a dime a dozen, there is a good university, Wrightsville beach is 5 minutes away, we have a large port, incredible downtown bar/retaurant scene (almost no chain garbage either), people are moral and freindly and we have been in a building boom for a decade now (what recession? Lol). Only downside is its expensive to live here and the only jobs are service related, we have zero industry jobs unless you count GE which builds aircraft engines and nuclear bombs here. HD Dave moved here and said he will never leave now, hell, he basically has to be bribed home now... lol...

I do love NC. The first time I was ever in NC i flew into Charlotte and was working in Mooresville for a week. One the 2nd day i called both my parents and told them I wasn't coming home. My mom is looking into buying a vacation house down there and if she does ill be spending a lot of long weekends there....or get a job and take the house over haha

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012

I'm gonna hopefully be taking a vacation after the holidays and was thinking about going down and checking it out. I've only passed through NC. I also really like the idea of staying near the water.