Question: Think the engine is going south, startup oil press.

06bowtie_guy

Feb 22, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario
Started the other day, start the truck up and if it's cold the "low oil pressure" message on the DIC comes on.

Once the truck warms up a bit oil pressure gauge shows lots of pressure. When sitting with low pressure the engine sounds just fine though so i havn't stoped the truck yet, used it a couple times but scares me..

I'm running rotella t full synthetic and it was done in late oct or early november, not much mileage on it, beleive it shows 69% on the guage..

EFI shows 0psi.

Anyone ever see this or have ideas??????

Tried to change the oil filter thinking it was draining back but nope didn't help.

Want to use the truck without worry.

Thanks

Actually, since the engine might be dead or on route. What do people average for cost in a build? Not needing 1000hp but something to handle 600or so safely. :D

EDIT> Truck has 93,000KM on it.

Last edited:

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
what weight oil are you running and when you say cold do you mean 20 or -20 how cold is cold?

06bowtie_guy

Feb 22, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario
running 5W40 rotella t full synthetic.

If the truck sits over night. Have tried up to -5*C so 23*F. I should get it in a garage for a night and see what happends if above freezing. Thoughts?

If you let it get oil pressure then it's fine all day long. Can turn it off for few hours at a time in cold weather and it's fine to start. Just not if it's been sitting over night.

Do the oil pumps have some type of drain back valve where it could lose prime from sitting overnight??

thx.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Stop driving it until you figure this out. Cold oil will show more pressure at startup then warm oil. I run Rotella t 5-40 synthetic, have been for 40,000 miles, its not the oil. Cold startup my truck imediately goes to 75-80 psi, drops to 35-40 psi hot idle. You need to tap into the oil galley with a manual gauge & verify that its low. Maybe your oil pressure sensor is taking a crap. Also if you have the old oil filter cut it open and look in the pleats for debris.

JShe8918

Feb 17, 2009
This varies from motor to motor i believe... Mine jumps to 90psi while cold but once warm drops just below 20psi. And the temps here only get down to the 30's.... I hope you figure out what is wrong!

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Definitely check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. Oil pressure doesn't just read low and then jump up to normal without the being an issue with the gauge or the pump not working right like McRat said. Don't drive till you got her fixed. Best of luck.

06bowtie_guy

Feb 22, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario
I've picked up a mechanical gauge. Hopefully install that tomorrow or wednesday, lucky as i have my 98 to drive. :)

The oil pressure sender is located on the drivers side at the front of the engine correct??

I think i'm going to run the gauge from there as it will be an accurate number.

If there is none then I guess i'll pull the pan and check the pump.?.?

06bowtie_guy

Feb 22, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario
I guess you have to pull it to drop the pan ? I would think so.

The searching I have done shows you can have the pan off in like 1.5/2 hours. Must remove that crossmember then it can come out.

Had the truck plugged in for over 12 hours, tried starting it during the day today, gauge shows 0. killed it right away. Truck sounded weird.

If i get a chance tomorrow i have a mechanical gauge to install. Find out that first. Then figure pull the pan and have a look around for obvious issues and go from there.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
To find out if the oil pump gear has come loose, you are going to pull the front engine cover. You will need to pull the harmonic balancer which has a 36mm? 12-point bolt, other than that, it's just a normal PITA.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Yes, what Pat said. The oil pump is behind the front cover, which is a job to get to and remove. Also, to get the oil pump off, you will need to either drop the upper pan or figure out a way to snake some extensions in there to get the nuts that hold the pickup to the oil pump.

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
The searching I have done shows you can have the pan off in like 1.5/2 hours. Must remove that crossmember then it can come out.

Had the truck plugged in for over 12 hours, tried starting it during the day today, gauge shows 0. killed it right away. Truck sounded weird.

If i get a chance tomorrow i have a mechanical gauge to install. Find out that first. Then figure pull the pan and have a look around for obvious issues and go from there.

this scares me:eek: