The new Limo

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Looking good

I was going to say. You and a Goodyear? Hmmm.

i actually have to go with this "gladiator" tire to meet discount tires load index ruling bull shit. GM bumped the index way up on these trucks from the 19's so the Coopers i originally ordered wouldnt work. its not a bad looking tire but certainly not my first choice.

God I wish they still made Methods in 16x8 in a decent look like the 304 or 315. I've gotta have 16" for the weight handling capacity with my gooseneck (~7000lb-7200lb on the rear axle fully loaded). That wheel and tire combo looks INSANE, keep it up!

i was going to have to go up to an 18 if i couldnt find a 34 or 35" tire to work with the 17. did not want to go that big of a wheel though. 17's BARELY clear the front brakes.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
James, have you looked at Nitto Ridge Grappler?

Not sure if they will meet your load rating criteria, but I’ve not been happier with a set of tires. And I know they are offering them in a 12ply in a lot of sizes to meet the new truck specs

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James, have you looked at Nitto Ridge Grappler?

Not sure if they will meet your load rating criteria, but I’ve not been happier with a set of tires. And I know they are offering them in a 12ply in a lot of sizes to meet the new truck specs

Yup, sadly they only offer a 121 load index. i need a 126 min.

its mainly the wheel size ive found. 18's have much more in the 126 range. or i shrink to a 295/70R17 but i dont like narrow tires (hence the 13.50's on the old limo). My buddy at discount was giving me a ration of shit over the fact id probably never notice the difference of the 18" wheel but it just aint what i want. Wheels are at powder anyhow so im sticking with them damn it! Worse case, if i dont like the look of the new tires coming in (Gladiator X Comp AT) or they rub due to size difference, ill have to go some place else that will put the coopers on i originally wanted.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC

its mainly the wheel size ive found. 18's have much more in the 126 range. or i shrink to a 295/70R17 but i dont like narrow tires (hence the 13.50's on the old limo). My buddy at discount was giving me a ration of shit over the fact id probably never notice the difference of the 18" wheel but it just aint what i want. Wheels are at powder anyhow so im sticking with them damn it! Worse case, if i dont like the look of the new tires coming in (Gladiator X Comp AT) or they rub due to size difference, ill have to go some place else that will put the coopers on i originally wanted.

This is an unpopular opinion but some of these Chinese tire companies make damn good tires. Atturo comes to mind. Gladiator had been out for quite a while not with nice MT tires and people seem to like them. I’ve seen the AT in person and it’s a good looking tire. I was very skeptical of the cheap China tires, but I paid less than $700 mounted and balanced for my Haida RT tires and I’m impressed. Yeah they’re loud but pretty smooth and I have 30-35k on them and have only rotated once and they’re still well above half tread.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Truck and new rims look great James! Are you going to run the method center caps or leave them like the picture shows? Might look good to paint the stock center dust cap black and leave the method center caps off.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Truck and new rims look great James! Are you going to run the method center caps or leave them like the picture shows? Might look good to paint the stock center dust cap black and leave the method center caps off.

Honestly I agree, looks pretty damn good without the caps (in the front at least).

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
This is an unpopular opinion but some of these Chinese tire companies make damn good tires. Atturo comes to mind. Gladiator had been out for quite a while not with nice MT tires and people seem to like them. I’ve seen the AT in person and it’s a good looking tire. I was very skeptical of the cheap China tires, but I paid less than $700 mounted and balanced for my Haida RT tires and I’m impressed. Yeah they’re loud but pretty smooth and I have 30-35k on them and have only rotated once and they’re still well above half tread.

The MT's look gawd awful imho but the AT dont look too bad. i just liked the aggressive sidewall the new XTP cooper makes and its a 55k pro rated warranty. Gladiator doesnt offer that. if they dont stand up to decent miles, hopefully by then there will be a few more tire companies out there with higher load indexes on these sizes. if a 315/75R16 can be rated heavier, no reason 35" 17s cant get up there.

Honestly I agree, looks pretty damn good without the caps (in the front at least).

i dont know yet. the old limo doesnt run center caps either and the hubs are painted black. ill see how they look both ways. These pics were just all of mock up so look and tire will change after this. Wifes canyon has the center caps in on her NV's and i like the way it looks as well. Alot of off road trucks have gravitated to a hub centric hub or cone and method has done a good job at mimicing those hubs so they look pretty good to me.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Dropped the truck off for paint correction and ceramic coat. Buddy of mine does this and I traded work on his LLY if he would do all this on the new truck.

0f479e225663851d76a29049d40f7b0d.jpg

And god damn it... this is how I know I’m getting old. I like having the damn old man steps.... but hate the look so I ordered a set of AMP Research step to put on. Tires should be in any day and picked up the wheels from powder Monday.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I actually prefer the chrome wheels, but thats just me. Nothing wrong with the steps, either.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
The ceramic coat is going to be awesome on that black truck. My wife's car has it and when it rained the other day it looked like it was just washed because nothing sticks to it.

DuramaxRamRod

Oct 11, 2014
NH

I ended up with 18" NV HDs and 35" Ridge Grapplers because there's no decent load rating on the 35s for 17s.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
7cce7a02425c9cc5ad6dcd2c908499cb.jpg

Paint corrected (best they could, decent orange peel under the clear still) and ceramic done. Even in direct sun light and glare I couldn’t find hardly anything. This stuff is cool!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Waiting on tires still. Wheels are sitting in the dining room and I’ve still not heard my wife yell “why are there wheels in my dining room?”. We are on day 3 of that. Let’s see how long that lasts

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Waiting on tires still. Wheels are sitting in the dining room and I’ve still not heard my wife yell “why are there wheels in my dining room?”. We are on day 3 of that. Let’s see how long that lasts

I tried that once. Only once.:roflmao: