That gasser life

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There's that much of a chance of getting bad gas and that thin of margin in a gasser that it's catastrophic??

I'll bare my ignorance further, what is "bad gas"? Water in it or just not to the octane level it's sold as or what?

Obviously I've never even been around anything gas powered that wasn't stock. Never anything with any appreciable mods.

water in fuel is a biggy or picking up alot of trash in the bottom of a fuel tank due to a truck filling the fuel stations tank up prior to you filling up. plugs up your fuel filter, you go lean and boom. Cant say ive ever seen an octane issue. In mexico, octane is all over the place.

most cars have knock sensors will about 8-10* of timing swing availible and different levels of how fast it should pull timing based on the knock. they are quick to adjust.

Where 99% of the "running a thin line" happens is in the tuning. people "deaden" knock sensors, knock sensors are turned off or deleted, a/f ratio is ran in the high 12's or bit higher when under boost (considered lean depending on motor), timing is set high when the engine was cooler or outside temps were cooler, or a hard part was changed and tuning was not updated for it. This is all assuming you want the most out of it.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
After my first engine detonated on E54 (like 95 octane) I went straight to E98, and water to air cooler.

My engine did what my LB7 loved to do :eek::rofl:

At my compression and fuel, I make the most power at 12.00 AFR. Anything higher I lift. I don't even look at the boost or RPM gauge down the track, AFR is life

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
There's that much of a chance of getting bad gas and that thin of margin in a gasser that it's catastrophic??

I'll bare my ignorance further, what is "bad gas"? Water in it or just not to the octane level it's sold as or what?

Obviously I've never even been around anything gas powered that wasn't stock. Never anything with any appreciable mods.

I'll put it this way... I've seen more Dyno time with my LS truck then all my diesels put together, no joke.

Rude awakening it was, but I'm all about it now and understand the reasons.:rofl:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
i dont see any fuel fixing mikes issue. thats straight up cyl temp issues. high cyl temp, piston expanded and p to w clearance went to 0. Cyl temp also eats spark plugs alive. it would take a massive amount of detonation to blow the tip off the plug and the piston would show it as well. the eaten up thrust bearing could also mean the oil pump may have dropped in pressure and cyl 7 saw some oil starvation increasing the cyl temp.

91 only good for 500rwhp :roflmao:, if you dont want to touch a stock block, i agree. if you get into it with heads, cam, internals, that number goes way up on 91

Wouldn’t cylinder temp be kept down by running it richer?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
If the pump and injectors can support it, yes, to a point. If the pump and Injectors cannot support it, you just removed your cushion of safety.

I'll stand by my original statement that E85 would have saved that engine. It's water under the bridge now

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
If the pump and injectors can support it, yes, to a point. If the pump and Injectors cannot support it, you just removed your cushion of safety.

I'll stand by my original statement that E85 would have saved that engine. It's water under the bridge now

E85, or lower timing, more fuel.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

No one said e85 wouldn’t save it, it’s the hp cap on 91 that cracks me up .

Running the pump or injector on the ragged edge is no different than maxing out diesel injectors. Your tempting fate with the engine. Not a smart move and rare to see these days with competent timers who usually won’t push it. You know that.

I’m not surprised you had this on the dyno way more than the Dmax, gassers require much more to get dialed in and run at their best than diesels do. A race tune in a diesel is far more dumbed down than a gas engine. That’s 80% of the reason there are so many fly by night tuners in the diesel world. It’s not hard to make 100-150more hp than stock in a diesel vs a gasser when starting from scratch. You don’t have detonation or afr’s to worry about. If you didn’t spend the time you did on the dyno, it would be killing your pocket book.

Wouldn’t cylinder temp be kept down by running it richer?

Certainly could. So would less timing, cooler air charge, or cooler engine temp.

You know I'd win against that old bald bastard! :D:roflmao:

:blah: like a chihuahua yipping at the big dogs

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Why is E85 better? I feel like I hear more people complain about inconsistency with it than regular premium/91 pump gas? It has less energy capability per unit so you actually have to pump more of it thru the fuel system to make the same power as an equivalent volume of gasoline (what octane level of gas is it approx. equal to?), right? What octane is E85?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Why is E85 better? I feel like I hear more people complain about inconsistency with it than regular premium/91 pump gas? It has less energy capability per unit so you actually have to pump more of it thru the fuel system to make the same power as an equivalent volume of gasoline (what octane level of gas is it approx. equal to?), right? What octane is E85?

The serious guys burning E85 test the fuel before putting it in the tank. Seems to not be consistant from station to station.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona

E85 is better purely because of the Ethanol content which cools when it burns compared to pump gas.
This can allow you to throw a bit more timing at the engine as well.
Pretty much like water meth in the diesel world.
It's hard to put a number on the octane level of E85, but I have seen anywhere from 95-107 depending on where it's from. FWIW, my E98 tests right at 120 octane right out of the barrel.

Here in AZ E can range from 54-84% which is a pretty decent variance. There is a few stations that still carry true E85, but you gotta drive to get it.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Ethanol has the ability to create a "cooling affect" that reg gas does not as its injected in. Much like a carburator will drop intake temps dramaticly due to the venturi effect (how a carb drops the temp is different, just using it as reference than it will drop air temps). it does not burn as hot due to the lower BTU but has a higher octane so to get that power it takes more as you stated. the ethanol will absorb heat in the air much quicker as well.

The major draw backs are quality, its been known to range from 60-90% on "E85" from the pump, availability, price is climbing, fuel mileage drops, its hygroscopic so it absorbs water, and if the fuel system is not setup for it, it will plug things up in a hurry if left over time. It will also degrade faster than reg fuel will.