That gasser life

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Swapped out the s369sx-e for an s475 with the new engine. Looked good and ran great.

Dynoed 663hp

https://youtu.be/251JUF2FFoo

https://youtu.be/p3JBWm8CTB8

Unfortunately, it was very short lived. Had a catastrophic failure, mostly due to my stupidity. Melted a spark plug and then melted a piston, which in turn ruined the block as well. This lasted 1800 miles before failure. 15psi boost at 660+whp. Had thrust bearing issues as well, crank was ruined from it also. It was destroyed.

Very frustrating. I ended up selling everything.
Dropped a bone stock 5.3 back in, stock converter with a stock 4l80e and traded the truck in on a bone stock 2011 LTZ 6.2/6l80e half ton. Have had the new truck for 2 and a half months now and other than a cat back exhaust, it's still stock lol.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
But stock LS engines are good to 1000hp with a junkyard engine and a chinese 475 turbo setup

:spit::rofl:

I seriously hate that you had terrible luck with it Mike. What part of the meltdown was your fault? You said it melted a spark plug, that daisy chained into a complete meltdown and destruction of the engine... What could you have done to prevent it?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
He was running 91 octane, which definitely didn't help. I trust 91 to 500rwho max. E85 would have made that engine live but don't think he had access to it.

I run E98 and haven't burned a plug.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Nice to hear from you again, Mike, real sorry to hear about your luck....but Shit Happens. You pick up the pieces and move on. You'll land on your feet, as always.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
But stock LS engines are good to 1000hp with a junkyard engine and a chinese 475 turbo setup

:spit::rofl:

I seriously hate that you had terrible luck with it Mike. What part of the meltdown was your fault? You said it melted a spark plug, that daisy chained into a complete meltdown and destruction of the engine... What could you have done to prevent it?

Maybe stock parts, but not an untouched stock short block. And add a second 475 to that list.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I beat the thing up pretty good, which caused the failure. I was fighting a driveline vibration that started at about 95mph and was extremely bad at 110+mph. I finally fixed the vibration and was out testing. Back to back to back full throttle pulls from 20-120. Did about 10 of those with no resting in between. #7 cylinder got hot and melted the piston skirt. I think the shear heat is what melted the spark plug tip. I parked the truck running great. Went out the next morning and started it. There was a slight knock. Upon driving, it had a very slight miss under boost. Went home and pulled the plugs to find #7 melted. Stuck a bore scope in there and saw the cylinder wall pretty torn up. Live and learn. It was a blast while it lasted lol.

The 6.2/6l80e is a stout combo in stock form. I'm pretty happy with it as is. I can just hop in and drive with no worries lol

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
He was running 91 octane, which definitely didn't help. I trust 91 to 500rwho max. E85 would have made that engine live but don't think he had access to it.

I run E98 and haven't burned a plug.

This is why I stopped at 509 rwhp but managed 514 torque out of my 5.3. I do not have E85 so I'm stuck at 10# of boost. Sucks but what can I do? Building a 2 wheel rcsb to drag only with like Brian, my DD is maxed out and still be reliable. You will love that lsa blower, my neighbor just bought Big Chiefs off his CTSV, ported/polished new coupler and it was only like 2800...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i dont see any fuel fixing mikes issue. thats straight up cyl temp issues. high cyl temp, piston expanded and p to w clearance went to 0. Cyl temp also eats spark plugs alive. it would take a massive amount of detonation to blow the tip off the plug and the piston would show it as well. the eaten up thrust bearing could also mean the oil pump may have dropped in pressure and cyl 7 saw some oil starvation increasing the cyl temp.

91 only good for 500rwhp :roflmao:, if you dont want to touch a stock block, i agree. if you get into it with heads, cam, internals, that number goes way up on 91

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
i dont see any fuel fixing mikes issue. thats straight up cyl temp issues. high cyl temp, piston expanded and p to w clearance went to 0. Cyl temp also eats spark plugs alive. it would take a massive amount of detonation to blow the tip off the plug and the piston would show it as well. the eaten up thrust bearing could also mean the oil pump may have dropped in pressure and cyl 7 saw some oil starvation increasing the cyl temp.

91 only good for 500rwhp :roflmao:, if you dont want to touch a stock block, i agree. if you get into it with heads, cam, internals, that number goes way up on 91

Mines fully built now...

Brian was saying 500 rwhp on pump 91 is safe, go over and get bad fuel and bye bye motor. The gamble isn't worth it, if you want more go E85 and retune for track...

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mines fully built now...

Brian was saying 500 rwhp on pump 91 is safe, go over and get bad fuel and bye bye motor. The gamble isn't worth it, if you want more go E85 and retune for track...

um.... that would go for just about any hp vehicle tuned on 91 or 89 or 87 or E85 or 100 unleaded or 110 leaded. boosted or n/a at or under or over 500rwhp. when you tune a vehicle on a certain fuel you, its up to you on how far you want to push the tune but knock sensors, holding back some timing in the tune and so on only net you so much as a "safety factor". you get a bad batch of fuel and are pushing 6psi of boost on a stock or built 5.3 or 4.8 making 350rwhp and it can blow that motor just as fast as one at or over 500rwhp.

changing fuel to up octane is an easy way to push the limits of a engine but it does not mean you can not get more from cheaper fuels if you build with that and other parameters in the back of your mind.

there is a reason 400ci small block trophy trucks are pushing 800-900hp (700rwhp) N/A and still running on mexico Pemex "91" which is WAY worse than our 91 any day of the week.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
There's that much of a chance of getting bad gas and that thin of margin in a gasser that it's catastrophic??

I'll bare my ignorance further, what is "bad gas"? Water in it or just not to the octane level it's sold as or what?

Obviously I've never even been around anything gas powered that wasn't stock. Never anything with any appreciable mods.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
When you're playing with 13# boost and burning 91, you don't take chances.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I was saying I trust 91 octane to 500rwhp when I'm the one paying for the build James... GTFO

hey dont get all butt hurt over there cause you didnt like some technical info that disagreed with you :roflmao: no need to drag in what you pay or dont pay for ;)