Straight pipe questions....

Scooter_092196

Jan 8, 2009
So I have my LLY with a front pipe off an LB7 to delete the cat. Still running the muffler. I've been interested in straight piping it. Does anyone know of someone that sells a muffler delete pipe? Mine has an offset muffler. I stopped by a local diesel shop and they tried telling me if I straight pipe it, it will be so unbearable driving that I will want to switch back. Anyone have any input?

Thanks,

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Mine's been straight piped for a while now. IMO, it's not unbearably loud, even when towing. I've got 4" MBRP from downpipe back, and got the muffler delete pipe when I got the "cat back" portion. Not sure what to suggest to you for removing the muffler on the stock exahust though.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Your local diesel shop probably told you it would be unbearably loud because they're used to Dodges. My truck has had a 5" straight pipe for over 2 years now. I really don't even notice the exhaust inside the cab.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
Your local diesel shop probably told you it would be unbearably loud because they're used to Dodges. My truck has had a 5" straight pipe for over 2 years now. I really don't even notice the exhaust inside the cab.

mine either, I have the 5" MBRP, no cat or muffler and also have the Diamond Eye turbo pipe as well, the noise is not bad at all.

Skyhigh4by

Goin to Poochisloose
Apr 13, 2008
Powell River, BC
I agree about thinking it would sound like a dodge. Those things are stupid loud with straight pipe. I bet on most duramax forums you will find there are more straight pipes out there than people running mufflers. I have a 4" straight through muffler and its pretty darn quiet, about as loud as a stock exhaust cummins.

messejme

Jazzy, Me and Max
Mar 7, 2008
Branchburg NJ
when I get into it it gets loud (ever been to a monster truck show) but at lower throttle they are perty quiet. Of course yours wont be as loud as mine since mine comes through the bed;) STRAIGHT IS GREAT!!!!!

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
LLYs, LBZs, and LLMs aren't very loud even if you open the vanes at idle. It's not untill you put a larger aftermarket turbo on them that they get louder. On my 5" MBRP I couldn't even tell a difference inside the cab with or without a muffler:baby: