EFILive Staging limiter or "Two Step"

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Does anybody have experience with staging limiters like this one from BD? http://www.dieselperformance.com/index.php/product/index/304P

I havent watched much drag racing but the only dmax i can think of that has something like this is Buck's truck.

Idk if you can achieve something like that via EFI live or not but since im going to be launching off a trans brake it'd be sweet to have this tied into the trans brake button. The way i see it once you found your rpm/boost sweet spot this would aid in launching immensely.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Does anybody have experience with staging limiters like this one from BD? http://www.dieselperformance.com/index.php/product/index/304P

I havent watched much drag racing but the only dmax i can think of that has something like this is Buck's truck.

The BD ones works well, if hooked to the brake switch there is more delay than I like for bracket racing, I recommend hooking it to a button like used for trans brakes.

The old LB7 PTO rev limiter like what you hear on Bucks truck works but I personally didn't like it as the rpm bounced too much and 60' times could suffer as did reaction time but I'm very anal on these two things. LBZ/LMM efi staging is much better as long as boost/converter can be controlled.

There are some other options also.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
The BD ones works well, if hooked to the brake switch there is more delay than I like for bracket racing, I recommend hooking it to a button like used for trans brakes.

The old LB7 PTO rev limiter like what you hear on Bucks truck works but I personally didn't like it as the rpm bounced too much and 60' times could suffer as did reaction time but I'm very anal on these two things. LBZ/LMM efi staging is much better as long as boost/converter can be controlled.

There are some other options also.

Would you mind sharing those other options?

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Would you mind sharing those other options?

Here's one;

DSP2 OS with a button. Set fueling, pressure, boost, rpm, timing, tps, etc on a staging tune and hold the button to engage while staging. Release on 3rd amber and hold on.

There are others, just have to think outside of the box. I can't give all my racing secrets away as I'm still competing...:D

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Here's one;

DSP2 OS with a button. Set fueling, pressure, boost, rpm, timing, tps, etc on a staging tune and hold the button to engage while staging. Release on 3rd amber and hold on.

There are others, just have to think outside of the box. I can't give all my racing secrets away as I'm still competing...:D

Hmmmm

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
You can hook the dsp2 to the brake switch but again it has a slight delay. Racing against NHRA pro gas cars and a slight delay will end the day.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
My cousin has a ford focus st and it has the two stage rev limiter sounds so good. and its pretty fast. Its tuned with a blow off full exhaust and bunch of other stuff I cant remember. Has torque steer like a mofo. Scared the shit out of me the first time I drove it. It will twist the steering wheel out of your hands if your not careful. Its puts out over 24 lbs of boost. Its a burnt yellow color and hes always complaining cause it gets black soot on the back. Its gas also btw. I will see if I can upload the video.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
A rev limiter is different than a staging limiter, which is what this thread is about.

I seem to remember than when this was discussed years ago, using the PTO function to create a staging limiter ended up having a slight lag. Is this still the case?