spraying the outside of the intercooler

FarmDiesel22

Farmer
Sep 28, 2009
Has anyone ever sprayed the outside of the intercooler with nitrous or
C02 to help lower intake temps? If so was there any performance gains? Would this be worth trying?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I think it would be worth a shot to see what happens with NOS. CO2 could be dentrimental to performance if any gets sucked into the intake so I personally wouldn't use it. It would displace oxygen and you would lose hp!!

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I think it would be worth a shot to see what happens with NOS. CO2 could be dentrimental to performance if any gets sucked into the intake so I personally wouldn't use it. It would displace oxygen and you would lose hp!!

X2

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
why not just spray it in the intake and get both benefits? The stuff ain't cheap.... :)

N2O is cold and could help to measurable degree, but at X dollars for a 10th +/- why?

Add it to the intake and you get the cold benefit AND the oxygen. We know that works. Then X dollars ='s more than a 10th.

Cool idea, maybe take a look at going water to air IC and you'd get about the same result all the time?

FarmDiesel22

Farmer
Sep 28, 2009
Thats why I was thinking about using C02 cause it would be cheaper to refill C02 than nitrous but i am worried about it getting into the engine and choking it. I wonder if I could run a ram air scoop like banks has under the bumper so it would get air from out in front of the truck. I don't want to spray nitrous into the intake cause I don't know enough about it and don't want to blow up my truck. Is there a water to air IC that fits in the stock location?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Thats why I was thinking about using C02 cause it would be cheaper to refill C02 than nitrous but i am worried about it getting into the engine and choking it. I wonder if I could run a ram air scoop like banks has under the bumper so it would get air from out in front of the truck. I don't want to spray nitrous into the intake cause I don't know enough about it and don't want to blow up my truck. Is there a water to air IC that fits in the stock location?

Another option would be to use a Co2 coil in the inside of the intercooler pipes.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006

Unless your truck is competition only a water to air intercooler would WAY overkill... Fill out your signature and lets see what you are working with

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Frozon boost makes a affordable W/A intercooler

TnR Green had one that mounted underneath the stock cooler....There are pics on the site here somwhere:)

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I installed a setup this year on our intercooler, but haven't used it, except to cool the intercooler in the staging lanes when hot lapping. Really no data to say yes or no.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Here is a link to the one I made/used FWIW http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11314&highlight=spray+bar. On a really hot day, I noticed a diff. I used it a few more times on cool days with no change. I would go through a 10lb. bottle of C02 when I was the second vehicle back. If I used it durring a burn out or in staging, it would choke out the motor, even with the intake in front of the truck.

Attachments

• IC Spray Bar.jpg
    IC Spray Bar.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Killerbee

Got Honey?
2 cents from a wannabe. :rofl:

It doesn't make any sense to me to cool from the outside. Only a fraction of the latent heat release can actually interface the CAC this way...the rest passes right around it.

If it were me, I would do chilling internally, using a WM spray, or nitrous, or even "liquid air".

The point is, if you want the heat exchange area that you are planning to use for power, to be cold, that is on the inside of the heat exchanger, not the outside. It makes sense to do it on the inside. Nitrous is so effective, partly for this effect.

In addition, you will cool more components that just the CAC, and they all get hot. I have never tried it, but I don't think you can do any harm spraying nitrous at idle. It's just oxidizer. But somebody correct me if I am wrong.

maxthis

Jun 14, 2007
Southeastern, Indiana
One of my buddies tried it on a 7.3. Made a few dyno passes and it didn't make a difference. He built a spray bar that had like 5 or 6 nozzles in it....pretty neat idea and set up that he had but the results didn't vary...

username taken

Aug 26, 2009
What about an external sprayer of distilled water? Like a misting system that you see around patio seating in restaurants in the SW? Get some heat out of the CAC, trans cooler, rad, etc. As soon as EGT gets over 1200* you could start the spray. Not sure what would work best - spraying in front of the stack to let evaporation provide cooler air to the stack, or spray water directly onto the stack to let the water absorb the heat.

Use the system when towing going up a hill to get EGT down and limit the overheating that the truck experiences? You could even use the system to improve the efficiency of the AC in traffic on hot days. Wouldn't cost crap to operate either - could be refilled with reverse osmosis water from the kitchen sink. Power it with a pump similar to a WM system?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
What about an external sprayer of distilled water? Like a misting system that you see around patio seating in restaurants in the SW? Get some heat out of the CAC, trans cooler, rad, etc. As soon as EGT gets over 1200* you could start the spray. Not sure what would work best - spraying in front of the stack to let evaporation provide cooler air to the stack, or spray water directly onto the stack to let the water absorb the heat.

Use the system when towing going up a hill to get EGT down and limit the overheating that the truck experiences? You could even use the system to improve the efficiency of the AC in traffic on hot days. Wouldn't cost crap to operate either - could be refilled with reverse osmosis water from the kitchen sink. Power it with a pump similar to a WM system?

Interesting idea. It could be used to cool the trans, radiator and intercoler all in one shot. Not sure how well it would work though but maybe worth some testing. I opt to spray it internally myself for now!

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah

I have had a patio mist system, and 4 windshield squiter pumps on my shelf for a year now with the same idea for towing but then got twins and no longer had to worry about it , it couldnt be used at the strip because of getting water on the track so i just havent done much with the idea , but A trick I stole from Rob is to use a weed squiter to spray down the whole stack after each run to help disipate heat soak . I can say a standard windsheild squit=rter pump will only feed 2 nozzles hince why i had 4 pumps but beings how you can get the pum ps at junk yards for dirt cheap they rae a decent method compared to using a expensive high pressure water pump like the ones used in water meth kits .