spraying the outside of the intercooler

username taken

Aug 26, 2009
Interesting idea. It could be used to cool the trans, radiator and intercoler all in one shot. Not sure how well it would work though but maybe worth some testing. I opt to spray it internally myself for now!

Agreed WM has the best benefits - my "misting system" wouldn't reduce EGT to nearly the extent of a WM system. I would love to try it in addition, though. Let's face it, the cooling system on these trucks is marginal in stock form. Start adding power and it is criminally easy to overwhelm the system.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I have had a patio mist system, and 4 windshield squiter pumps on my shelf for a year now with the same idea for towing but then got twins and no longer had to worry about it , it couldnt be used at the strip because of getting water on the track so i just havent done much with the idea , but A trick I stole from Rob is to use a weed squiter to spray down the whole stack after each run to help disipate heat soak . I can say a standard windsheild squit=rter pump will only feed 2 nozzles hince why i had 4 pumps but beings how you can get the pum ps at junk yards for dirt cheap they rae a decent method compared to using a expensive high pressure water pump like the ones used in water meth kits .

Maybe a stupid question, but what do you mean the "whole stack"?

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
We talked about using NOS to fog on the front of the Innercooler, but decided to use /CO2 instead due to cost and not wanting to explain what a NOS bottle was doing in the truck when we have been so adamant about not using it. if you look at the picture you will see what looks like a bazooka barrel sticking out under the bumper of Max'd Out on the passenger's side. It is a enclosed intake hooked right on to the turbo, one of the reasons so it the intake doesn't pick up the CO2. As Rob said we haven't gotten a chance to try it yet.

Attachments

• bazooka.jpg
    bazooka.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 71

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Ken, I had my intake routed out the front of the truck as well. The C02 would still choke the motor out, but I was dumping an entire 10lb bottle in about 20 seconds. I had the bottle to the Braided line, to the spray bar (No sol.). Thats why I would use it when I was the 2nd vehicle in line. It gave it time to clear up.

Last edited:

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Ken, I had my intake routed out the front of the truck as well. The C02 would still choke the motor out, but I was dumping an entire 10lb bottle in about 20 seconds. I had the bottle to the Braided line, to the spray bar (No sol.). Thats why I would use it when I was the 2nd vehicle in line. It gave it time to clear up.

That innercooler must have looked like a frozen honey cone.:eek:Rob was thinking the egt's were only going up the last 1/8 and was going to try it then. We bought a kit with two halo foggers that mount on the front of the innercooler. We'll play with it and see, if it snuffs out the fire off she comes.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
That innercooler must have looked like a frozen honey cone.:eek:Rob was thinking the egt's were only going up the last 1/8 and was going to try it then. We bought a kit with two halo foggers that mount on the front of the innercooler. We'll play with it and see, if it snuffs out the fire off she comes.

Yeah, the first time I used it in staging, they stopped me to make sure everything was good under the hood. After that, they left me alone. It was pretty loud:D...

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Anyone ever see or consider the Cryofuzion Interfreezer

Seems intuitively like a good idea to me as a way to use CO2 to cool charge air without risking ingesting it into the intake

race2.JPG

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Those look pretty slick, love the part about the Cheetah jets, spray into your competition's intake.:rofl::D Wonder if you could use the co2 coming off the innerfreezer to use as a fuel cooler on the fuel return line?

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Not sure how much cooling will be left in the CO2 after the interfreezer. If it's still cold, that would be a good use of the gas.

I thought I had seen a recommendation to run the spent gas into the exhaust to help "scavenge" the engine when I first ran across these things a few years ago...

Still surprised I have not seen anybody use one. The other nice thing about having a 20lb bottle of CO2 on board is that you could rig up an underhood fire suppression system pretty easily. Maybe they are crazy $s....

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Need to gets some specs on them, as much air as we all move not sure it would be up to the task, might have to run two or three in series.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Need to gets some specs on them, as much air as we all move not sure it would be up to the trask, might have to run two or three in series.

1 between the 2 turbos, 1 before intercooler after top turbo and 1 after intercooler :D or 3 in a row after the intercooler , If i had the $$ to waste if it didnt work i would try it but ............................ :rofl:

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
A friend called them after I showed him the link, he said they told him 2-3 grand for a 4" "race" setup with bottle, lines and all. I don't remember for sure how long the core was but I think it was 12" with the whole unit being 19" long.

I tried to tell him to ask for specs as far as pressure drop, what it'll hold for boost etc. but he was too excited. :(

I can't say I like the look of the inside of it, judging from the pics. It looks like it's really restrictive. I wish I could see one in person to be more sure.

03-GMC

Let there be light!!
Mar 26, 2009
SLC, Utah
So I have been thinking about trying this out, I know you can use a water pump for a trailer and modify it to work just like most w/m pumps. I can get one for about $50. I was thinking about running the same mister as we use on my patio (since i have them laying around) one on the trans cooler, and three acrossed the intercooler. The thing is would it really lower the temps that much? I was thinking about only using it while towing.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
So I have been thinking about trying this out, I know you can use a water pump for a trailer and modify it to work just like most w/m pumps. I can get one for about $50. I was thinking about running the same mister as we use on my patio (since i have them laying around) one on the trans cooler, and three acrossed the intercooler. The thing is would it really lower the temps that much? I was thinking about only using it while towing.

Any thoughts?

I dont think misting the intercooler is going to help much at all, especially after boost comes on and heats it up even hotter. I foresee the water just hitting it and dripping off (wouldnt want that on a race track) and not doing anything to drop the temps. Maybe a shit ton of cold water on the outside you would see a couple degrees drop, but nothing noticeable IMO.

I drew up a little plan of a 3" alum tube about 10" long, that has a 1/2" alum tube coil in it and the the ends of the coil exit the tube. Then you can put it into the boost tub with 2 boots, and run a line from a co2 tank, and then rout the other port to atmosphere somewhere away from intake, and when you open silinoid the co2 runs thru coil and makes the coil very cold as the boost air passes thru the tube and coil. Ill weld one up and try it one day. Sounds like it will work in my head...