spooling large turbo help??

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
hey guys trying to get tune a friends truck, it is built motor with a larger charger. i am struggling to get it to come up and light down low! what do you guys do with timing down low increase or increase? also should the maf tables be adjusted, the truck only pulls around 2.5 pounds at idle and since it takes a while to come up all the maf tables are way off! any help would be great!!

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I would run timng low in the 10mm3 to 80mm3 from 800 to 1800 range

Are you getting fuel or is it not building rpm? whats actually happening

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
I would run timng low in the 10mm3 to 80mm3 from 800 to 1800 range

Are you getting fuel or is it not building rpm? whats actually happening
i pulled timing way down in it, but yes it goes to about 1600 rpm and just has nothing. you can move the pedal to 100% and it still stays the same never trys to come up or rev up, this is in 4lo.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
i pulled timing way down in it, but yes it goes to about 1600 rpm and just has nothing. you can move the pedal to 100% and it still stays the same never trys to come up or rev up, this is in 4lo.

Then your going to have to add fuel

log it and see what mm3 you're stuck at

do egts climb still? If it takes to long to spool u will end up hurting the converter

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all

My truck did this, and we played with the maf table to get it to fuel down low. Id try taking off in a bigger gear besides first too.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Chargers

On mine it was a matter of taking fuel out. Mine would hang and not build boost with the pyro at 7 or 8 hundy and hang there. If I let off the pedal it would build heat and start to build more boost. Not sure if thats your buddies problem but if it is rolling smoke, That would be my guess. Jeff

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
On mine it was a matter of taking fuel out. Mine would hang and not build boost with the pyro at 7 or 8 hundy and hang there. If I let off the pedal it would build heat and start to build more boost. Not sure if thats your buddies problem but if it is rolling smoke, That would be my guess. Jeff
Very true if it rolls coal it won't build heat

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
A log of it not spooling would help alot , and as said already if its not fueling AKA no smoke or little that will make it not spool and if its too much it will have the same affect , what size injectors are in the truck ?

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
that is very true especially with my 4094 when i had it fueling too much down low it was awful, it would never spool up until i let out of it. it wold actually decelerate lol.... pulled a bunch of fuel out of the bottom and now it lights up much nicer.

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
A log of it not spooling would help alot , and as said already if its not fueling AKA no smoke or little that will make it not spool and if its too much it will have the same affect , what size injectors are in the truck ?
not sure what size they are for sure, they are an old set of troys that he was not using anymore. there pretty big, i have a log of it i will try and get posted up if you guys don't mind to look at and help!

Last edited:

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Logs will help you because you can see the smoke or lack of while running. Need to keep the egt's climbing. Not enough fuel will not create the heat, and too much will put out the fire. Just right and you will find little red riding hood at the finish line.

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
well i get the maf tables closer and figured out why it would stall to 1600 and stop. it will light about 70 feet out or so. getting better, down low seems better but it seems that as the charger is right about to come up it dumps fuel into the motor and puts the fire out? i will try and get some logs up this week!