Help: somethings not right

tobyk321

BIODIESEL BURNER
Jun 23, 2007
milford, nj
www.myspace.com
OK so there's something wrong with my truck. at idle it sounds almost like an exhaust leak, its hard to describe the sound. i have a vid though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0DH-P9ncmw driving though it seems to run fine, all the vitals are good and there is no oil in the water. and it not pressurizing the coolant. and boost seems fine. i did notice that the balance rate on cylinder #4 doesn't seem right. here's a log of it at idle and reved up. any idea what might be causing this.

Attachments

• balancerate.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 14

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
is it possible one of the bellows on the up pipes has let go? ro the egr branch maybe split from the main up pipe? that sled pullin will make those pipes a bit hot.

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
do you have a BD manifold? where is your pyro? if its in the passenger side i;m wondering if you cracked the manifold at the pyro.... dont know the cylinder numbers off hand but it might make sense if cyl 4 is in that area

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
OK so i pinched off the pcv re-route tube and held my hand over the oil fill tube. at idle it will build up pressure, sounds like it might be a hole in the piston :(

do a compresion test as well as get a good read on those balance rates wht is the reading on the one you say is high

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Well, I looked at your log, and according to the "Data" tab, you max on #4 is 11.25, which as you know, isn't right. Kind've off how they're all at "0" for the most part, with the exception of the occasional blip.

I've got an issue with one of my injectors; I have a glow plug stuck in #5, which, interestingly enough, was the same cylinder that was having abnormaly high balance rates. I switched injectors 5 & 6, and the balance rate followed the injector (althought is almost seems as if the odd balance rate has "moved" to #7:confused:). If you're going to pull an injector, might try swapping with another and see if it (the balance rate) follows the injector like I did. One piece of advice if you're pulling one or more injector: I'll almost guarantee you'll need a new O-ring for each injector you pull; both mine came out broken, and they cost $8 each! The copper washers probably can safely be re-used (I re-used mine; they cost $8 each too!). I do wish I had access to a bore scope to have a look-see at the messed up glow plug in #5.

BTW, I have what seems to be an abnormally large amount of blowby (lots "oil scented" vapor coming out of both the PVC hose and oil fill), but near as I could tell, all cylinders (except the one that I couldn't get the glow plug out) had compression, although I'm not wure just how accurate the test was since I had the one glow plug stuck.

Last edited:

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
OK so i pinched off the pcv re-route tube and held my hand over the oil fill tube. at idle it will build up pressure, sounds like it might be a hole in the piston :(

:( Dang, that is what I had first thought after seeing the video too

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
is there an ecess of smoke out the exaust? video dosent sound like a piston mabey a stuck valve complresion test would help tell for sure