Sold my truck in CO straight piped, new owner wants me to pay for smog situation

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I would suggest not giving them the exhaust. To me that shows that you are at guilt then. Like Brain said. Ignore them all together.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Titles issued after 1982 in Colorado function as a bill of sale as well.

"Under penalty of perjury" is slathered all over it.

In other states, such as NC, they don't care what you say you paid for it. They go by book value for sales tax.

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.
From the BAR website....

An Overview for the Used Car Buyer

When a used vehicle is sold in California, the seller is legally responsible for making sure that the vehicle's emission (smog) control equipment complies with state requirements. There is no provision in the law allowing a seller to sell a vehicle "as is." The buyer must submit the certificate of compliance (smog certificate) to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when transferring registration of the vehicle. Without the smog certificate, the transfer of ownership cannot be completed.

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
Crazy, I've never ran across a seller being responsible for smog etc. in a private sale.. This is drivin me nuts :/

Pretty dang sure it's the exact same as CO.. I'm from CA lived there all my life until about 8 months ago when I had to relocate for work, so all this is goin down in wheat ridge, CO

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.
It was your vehicle and you are not allowed to remove emissions equipment. Why would you not be liable? Saying "as is" doesn't mean you can delete emissions equipment.

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
AFAIK, unless you're a licensed dealer, you are not responsible for:

The spare
TPMS
Seat Belts
Air Bags
Emissions equipment
Etc. Etc.

Today, dealers must have all the Fed safety/emissions in place to sell a used car.

EXACTLY I am a dealer and your a private seller selling the vehicle its as-is. as-is is as-is plain and simple. My girlfriends father is an attorney and been down this road before. In the eyes of the court its a as-is sale. Doesn't matter what condition running or not.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
About the Lawyer Thingy.

In my life I've spent over $100k in Lawyer Thingies.

Net result?

Either settle things without lawyers, or wish you would have.

Even if you win, you lose. Seriously.

Today's lawyers are all about themselves and not their clients. They do not care if they help or hurt their client. Their goal is max billable hours, which they often lie about.

I'm not kidding.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
An attorney will usually bill in increments of 1/10 hour.

Ex: counsel thinks of you, calls and leaves a voicemail. Hourly rate of $250, you just purchased a $25 voicemail.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
wow this is interesting... No smog testing in KS I never would have thought that the seller could ever be responsible for truck repairs in a SOLD AS IS sale....

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
Thanks guys, as dumb as it is I am going to try and be cordial so I don't have to deal with lawyers.. Correct me if I'm wrong but even if they get an attorney won't they have to pay for it? Or if it's found in their favor I have to pay their attorney fees?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
From the BAR website....

An Overview for the Used Car Buyer

When a used vehicle is sold in California, the seller is legally responsible for making sure that the vehicle's emission (smog) control equipment complies with state requirements. There is no provision in the law allowing a seller to sell a vehicle "as is." The buyer must submit the certificate of compliance (smog certificate) to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when transferring registration of the vehicle. Without the smog certificate, the transfer of ownership cannot be completed.

^^^THIS^^^

Is probably why the buyer has changed their tune and is being such dick. I'd be wiling to bet they're having issues transferring title and obtaining registration.

They probably did a google search and are now trying to be a civilian authority in the matter, firty duckers

Here's my suggestion, as much as I'd like to tell them to suck thier thums after sitting on them first, I'd give them the stock emissions and exhaust stuff and provide a tune or the ability to get an egr friendly tune (#1 tune in a dsp5 set) and be on your way. Cooperating and providing these things should technically get you off the hook. I'd let them assume from that point any efforts made to install the parts is on them

I'd do this with as little words said as possible, and give no inclination to give a crap.

Then ignore them indefinitely

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
Thanks guys, as dumb as it is I am going to try and be cordial so I don't have to deal with lawyers.. Correct me if I'm wrong but even if they get an attorney won't they have to pay for it? Or if it's found in their favor I have to pay their attorney fees?

it would go to small claims court for correction of truck no attorneys needed. i still find it hard to believe a seller of a private sale is responsible. in ca i guess anything is but with the pre mechanic inspection and the go ahead from him along with a as-is sale seems to me you have a strong case in your favor.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
It was your vehicle and you are not allowed to remove emissions equipment. Why would you not be liable? Saying "as is" doesn't mean you can delete emissions equipment.

"As is" means just that "as is"your getting it as Is whatever needs fixed or replaced is the buyers responsibility period would you put your shit back on when you sell a built motor truck i think not