Sold my truck in CO straight piped, new owner wants me to pay for smog situation

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I would tell them to pound sand. Bit it wouldn't hurt to call a lawyer. You where up front about everything on the truck.

So you bought the truck from CO and sold it in CA to someone in CO. You have proof that it passed emission 6 months ago. IMO your ass is covered. IIRC the law on CA is that you have to have an inspection in the last 6 months. I never did. All the vehicles I sold as-is and put that on the bill of sale. It might now hold up in Court, but I wasn't going to smog my vehicle every 6 months until it sold.

Sent from a ditch being dug near you using Tapatalk

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
AFAIK, unless you're a licensed dealer, you are not responsible for:

The spare
TPMS
Seat Belts
Air Bags
Emissions equipment
Etc. Etc.

Today, dealers must have all the Fed safety/emissions in place to sell a used car.

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
Thanks guys, I appreciate all if the help with this situation, I think I have been lucky in the past with sellers and just finally got one that wants to make my life hell and see how much they can take advantage of me......

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
^^*lmao! Ya I'm trying to avoid a small claims last thjng I wanna deal with right now with a new baby and a grumpy wife..

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Get a lawyer. Its unfortunate that they are so often required anymore but its better to be safe then sorry.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

bigjohn

GMC Dmax
Oct 13, 2012
Westview Pa
How in the hell is it your responsibility to pay to have the truck fixed. You sold it as is it shouldn't be your responsibility it should be there's. Good luck with it buddy you better get lawyered up.

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
Idk man, I looked at my Craigsist add again and it says 4" exhaust, egr delete and all of the other specifics down to the marker lights soo it's very frustrating

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I wouldn't worry about it. Stop replying and ignore them. if I bought my LB7 "as is" and if it needed a cat to pass emissions, im not gunna go after the previous owner and make them pay for it.... it's my issue...

:thumb:

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
Not sure if I mentioned this but they had this same mechanic do a pre buy inspection, he passed the truck saying it was a great truck it could use shocks soon and tranny serviced, not a word about it being straight piped or the egr delete or anything negative.. Ugh these people.....

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Dude blow them off. It was a private party sale 'as is'

And they had a 3rd party pre buy inspection on top of it, phuck em

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
I think I'm gonna go with the consensus and tell em it's on them.. I'll prolly still go drop off all the stock parts so they at least don't have to pay for that but that's about that..

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
I think I'm gonna go with the consensus and tell em it's on them.. I'll prolly still go drop off all the stock parts so they at least don't have to pay for that but that's about that..

My advice:

Don't give the guy the opportunity to give you a hard time.
Don't apologize or go back on your position of an as is sale.

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
^^ I did, and I'm not gonna bring it up to them since it's incriminating toward myself, but I really didn't wanna be a jerk to them I just feel like I'm being taken advantage of

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
There's no doubt these people are in the wrong. Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily mean you're legally right. What they're doing is complete bs and I would probably tell them to get bent and see what the repercussions turn out to be.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Not sure if I mentioned this but they had this same mechanic do a pre buy inspection, he passed the truck saying it was a great truck it could use shocks soon and tranny serviced, not a word about it being straight piped or the egr delete or anything negative.. Ugh these people.....

God I hadn't read this post. Tell them to lick you're chocolate salty balls!