Software upgrade growing pains & wins

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I’ll get a dark theme up for you guys. Resize we will look into more. That strictly on the mobile theme?

For me I want to use the desktop version on my mobile phone for now as I find the mobile site harder to use. No signatures or other relevant information is shown. Also everything is too large so I only see about 1.5 posts on my screen along with some zoom/resizing issues. The desktop site is much closer to what we had on the old version but with its improvements. Only issue now is the posting text is quite small. I can deal with it if it is too much of a hassle for one guys request.

slowlml

Undercover Epa agent
Feb 6, 2015
Strasburg Va/Wardensville Wv
For me I want to use the desktop version on my mobile phone for now as I find the mobile site harder to use. No signatures or other relevant information is shown. Also everything is too large so I only see about 1.5 posts on my screen along with some zoom/resizing issues. The desktop site is much closer to what we had on the old version but with its improvements. Only issue now is the posting text is quite small. I can deal with it if it is too much of a hassle for one guys request.
Id like the same. Is there any way we can get the same information to show on the mobile version like it does on desktop? Like the signatures etc?

Reactions: Bdsankey

fish

Polish Mafia
Staff member
Jul 26, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Sorry guys, unfortunately having the desktop site on mobile won't be an option. It's hard coded into the theme that if the screen resolution is less than tablet/desktop screen size it switches to the mobile layout.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ok, signatures are in the mobile theme. The zoom/weird off set is fix, it was an ad banner issue. Went to a square avatar with rounded edges (sorry guys, square square is out, this looks clean and still up to date). Dark theme is currently being modded!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Dark theme is up and running. Go to the bottom of the page like the old site, look in the dark gray area for "duramax diesel forum". click it and change to Dark Theme. On mobile, click the top left 3 little lines, go to settings, change style to "dark theme".

changing either one on desktop or mobile changes both desktop AND mobile.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
The new format is really cool. I'm still trying to figure it all out, but I do have a question:

Have we lost the badges for mileage/HP/time? If so, I do miss that part.....

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The new format is really cool. I'm still trying to figure it all out, but I do have a question:

Have we lost the badges for mileage/HP/time? If so, I do miss that part.....

waiting on an answer back about that as well as signature pictures. I liked them too so I’ll see what can be done

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
When using a quote, is it possible to change the members handle to a different color while in dark mode? The graphite color blends into the black, other than that looks good guys

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Sorry guys, unfortunately having the desktop site on mobile won't be an option. It's hard coded into the theme that if the screen resolution is less than tablet/desktop screen size it switches to the mobile layout.

Chrome and maybe other mobile browsers have an override option. If checked it pulls the desktop site anyways. The layout and information presented in the desktop version is much better. It's just the posting text is quite small. Text size for other elements is fine as you get familiar with what it is and does and seems appropriate for the content.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I like the square/rounded avatar pics. It's looking good, guys.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Overall, looks to be a good start on the migration, and I do think this will be a nice long-term improvement.
I'm sure Jimmy & The Fish are aware of most of these, but I thought I'd put up a list of what I've noticed so far.
  • Unicode / UTF-8 decode issues on old posts. Specifically, apostrophes often display as ’. (he's --> he’s) Working on this currently. ill know more by tomorrow.
  • Old forum links from Google don't work. Not sure how hard it would be to have the old links auto-forward to the new links, but that would really help people find old content and maintain SEO. I believe this is fixed? have not seen a dead link yet
  • Signature pictures have gone MIA. I see a lot of people with empty [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] in their signatures, including me. That wont come back. its an old code from vbulletin so you will need to upload one directly to the site/sig or use an attachment from a 3rd party site
  • The old "smileys" are gone :( Hopefully they return, they were great. this may become very time consuming but i dont want to loose them either, its on the list to look at though
  • Round profile pics. I get that it is Web 2.0 and all that, but the square pics are just better, IMO. Thinks thats been addressed, i prefer how they are now 😁
  • YouTube embedding isn't currently working, so old posts that had [YOUTUBE]video_id[/YOUTUBE] don't show the video or a clickable link. Fish addressed that, no need for it anymore
  • The "Home" button (https://duramaxdiesels.com/wp/) is currently a very broken WordPress site. Thats been a work in progress but is very much fixed and smooth now
To balance things out, here are some positives I've noticed already.
  • Inserting images into posts is SO MUCH BETTER! Like, so much better.
  • The site is usable on a phone, so I won't have to pay for Tapatalk anymore!
I write software for a living, so I know what a huge undertaking it has been to get this far. Thanks for doing all this for us freeloaders!

alright, lets see if i cant knock most of this off for ya Dave. answers in red.

I know you guys may not see it but this is a very user friendly setup for us on the back end. this coming from a guy who had very little web building knowledge, seeing the difference between the old and new is just miles apart. many many more options for us to do thing or add things.

Right now, we do not have hard limits on how many pictures you guys can host on the site. you are limited to 2mb pic sizes and 10 images per post though. im really going to strive to keep that this way and may wind up paying for a hosting service come years end to continue it on for you all. all depends on the file size by then. i know that was a big thing for alot of you.

We still have the calculator that we are working on, the "showcase" is the same as the old garage but there are a few hiccups being worked out there, the home page will have the "new posts" at the top for you guys but only for registered users.

im very happy with how this has turned out overall! 😁😁

Reactions: DAVe3283

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I Like The Dark theme!!! Thank You.

Easier for me too see But your black font in you sig almost disappears... FYI ;)

Not sure if there is a way to make something like that automatically change when you go to Dark theme. Just a Thought,. I have no Idea If it's even possible.

Thanks for all you have done for the site!!!