Software upgrade growing pains & wins

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Overall, looks to be a good start on the migration, and I do think this will be a nice long-term improvement.
I'm sure Jimmy & The Fish are aware of most of these, but I thought I'd put up a list of what I've noticed so far.
  • Unicode / UTF-8 decode issues on old posts. Specifically, apostrophes often display as ’. (he's --> he’s)
  • Old forum links from Google don't work. Not sure how hard it would be to have the old links auto-forward to the new links, but that would really help people find old content and maintain SEO.
  • Signature pictures have gone MIA. I see a lot of people with empty [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] in their signatures, including me.
  • The old "smileys" are gone :( Hopefully they return, they were great.
  • Round profile pics. I get that it is Web 2.0 and all that, but the square pics are just better, IMO.
  • YouTube embedding isn't currently working, so old posts that had [YOUTUBE]video_id[/YOUTUBE] don't show the video or a clickable link.
  • The "Home" button (https://duramaxdiesels.com/wp/) is currently a very broken WordPress site.
To balance things out, here are some positives I've noticed already.
  • Inserting images into posts is SO MUCH BETTER! Like, so much better.
  • The site is usable on a phone, so I won't have to pay for Tapatalk anymore!
I write software for a living, so I know what a huge undertaking it has been to get this far. Thanks for doing all this for us freeloaders!

Reactions: stroke250

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ill always take constructive criticism!

Fish has been busting his butt with a couple other guys that helped in the migration. I will let him answer on that stuff Dave, as he knows more there than i currently do. i know enough to destroy things and not be able to quite put them back together again... much like my 1.5 year old boy :ROFLMAO:

fish

Polish Mafia
Staff member
Jul 26, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Overall, looks to be a good start on the migration, and I do think this will be a nice long-term improvement.
I'm sure Jimmy & The Fish are aware of most of these, but I thought I'd put up a list of what I've noticed so far.
  • Unicode / UTF-8 decode issues on old posts. Specifically, apostrophes often display as ’. (he's --> he’s)
  • Old forum links from Google don't work. Not sure how hard it would be to have the old links auto-forward to the new links, but that would really help people find old content and maintain SEO.
  • Signature pictures have gone MIA. I see a lot of people with empty [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] in their signatures, including me.
  • The old "smileys" are gone :( Hopefully they return, they were great.
  • Round profile pics. I get that it is Web 2.0 and all that, but the square pics are just better, IMO.
  • YouTube embedding isn't currently working, so old posts that had [YOUTUBE]video_id[/YOUTUBE] don't show the video or a clickable link.
  • The "Home" button (https://duramaxdiesels.com/wp/) is currently a very broken WordPress site.
To balance things out, here are some positives I've noticed already.
  • Inserting images into posts is SO MUCH BETTER! Like, so much better.
  • The site is usable on a phone, so I won't have to pay for Tapatalk anymore!
I write software for a living, so I know what a huge undertaking it has been to get this far. Thanks for doing all this for us freeloaders!

We got caught with our pants down. The forum wasn't supposed to be live when you posted it, so hopefully most of the issues you mentioned above are addressed.

Old tags like ICODE or SIGPIC or YOUTUBE may be gone. But youtube posts should embed automatically, as well as any modern web sites should have a pretty link appear. Unfortunately old smileys are gone.

Let me know if you're running into any more of these issues.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Fish, can we get a dark theme? And how about an option to resize postings text/font separate from site wide?

Reactions: Chavez91

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I’ll get a dark theme up for you guys. Resize we will look into more. That strictly on the mobile theme?
I think the mobile theme was where it was wanted. Having the option is nice, but the font size is fine on my phone. But some people might have small phones or just like big text.

Stoked for a dark theme! (y)

Reactions: ryjack135

ryjack135

Sep 9, 2018
I am really enjoying the new website! Way more mobile friendly and much better than Tapatalk 👍🏼 I am a fan of the like button as well