Snow or Painless??

username taken

Aug 26, 2009
Labonte seems to be around the same cost as the Snow at retail on their sites, with similar features and benefits.

As mentioned before, Labonte used to make the systems that Snow sold, until they copied the system and found a cheaper manufacturer - basically a Labonte "knock off". This would lead me to believe the Labonte has higher quality components than the Snow.

Add the "rip off factor" and Labonte will be the one getting my money when it's time. If a guy will screw his suppliers, I have to believe he will also screw customers:(. It's just a question of integrity.

I also know Labonte has been extremely helpful and involved with the board at DP. Supplying systems for beta testing to board members, actively soliciting feedback from users to improve product. Can't say the same for Snow.

I have no experience or knowledge of Painless or their systems, so I can't really comment there. I do know Labonte has been a pioneer in the field, and there is no sub for experience through use, testing and feedback. Painless seems to be a Johnny come lately. JMHO, YMMV.:)

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Strong judgemental post for an fng. Ax to grind?

X2:confused:

Well after running the Labonte for a few months, I must say I am happy with how it performs. I have a couple issues though. The pump is leaking out of the body and the fuse for the controller keeps blowing-likely a related issue. Also I need to try some bigger nozzles. The tow tune keeps in check but the hotter street tunes still get a little warmer than I like so I am going to up them a little.

I have sent the pump back already and hopefully Dan gets it figured and sent back. I won't be hooking it back up until spring as winter is coming and I plan to try a little meth to see how it works as a fuel mileage increaser. I'm also going to install one of their new frame mount tanks.

polaris1450

Sep 21, 2009
quebec canada
water/meth inj

just to know if anybody try a kit from alcoholinjection systems.com? they look`s great and the price is only $269!! whhen you go to there sit you can see the top quality of the product in the tech zone . what do you thing guys ? it`s not for racing but just to drop my egt numbers while towing ??

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I've never heard of them or know anyone that has used their stuff.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You must have a leak as I can hit 45psi here and you have more done to your truck then me. I have to tune it out or it will be hitting 45+ all day. Since you
have a LBZ you should be able to hit 35 like nothing. Maybe next time you are in Edmonton or I am near Red Dear I could take a look.

X2

My lbz hits 37-38
Why do you want to hit that much boost with a stock turbo? You start losing efficiency over about 32 lbs of boost.

Dale, I don't think you have a problem with your truck. I've looked at the logs, and from what I remember, your vanes are opening because the truck isn't commanding high boost. Besides that, you really won't build max boost until you hit 5th. The lower gears just don't load the engine hard enough.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Why do you want to hit that much boost with a stock turbo? You start losing efficiency over about 32 lbs of boost.

Dale, I don't think you have a problem with your truck. I've looked at the logs, and from what I remember, your vanes are opening because the truck isn't commanding high boost. Besides that, you really won't build max boost until you hit 5th. The lower gears just don't load the engine hard enough.

With 35's on it and 8000lbs, I would think that third/fourth should load it enough no? I take 4th up to 100mph on the track.......

And why wouldn't my truck command high boost if the desired is way high??

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
With 35's on it and 8000lbs, I would think that third/fourth should load it enough no? I take 4th up to 100mph on the track.......

And why wouldn't my truck command high boost if the desired is way high??
I think the RPMs just climb too fast in 4th gear to build boost at lower RPM. Remember, boost is a function of resistance, so the higher RPMs you run in 4th actually eat up more air and drop the boost.

It's been a while since I've looked at your logs, but from what I remember, the barometric pressure was putting you up into the medium altitude tables and the commanded boost was lower in those tables than the low altitude table.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I think the RPMs just climb too fast in 4th gear to build boost at lower RPM. Remember, boost is a function of resistance, so the higher RPMs you run in 4th actually eat up more air and drop the boost.

It's been a while since I've looked at your logs, but from what I remember, the barometric pressure was putting you up into the medium altitude tables and the commanded boost was lower in those tables than the low altitude table.

AWWWW YES!!! You may be right! I will need to look at those again. I think I ride the line between low and med here. This is why I was asking a few months back if anyone could tell me what elevation low/med/hi were at but I couldn't get a concrete answer.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada

I don't run there all day but I do hit 37-38 in most of my tunes if I push it hard.

If I am losing efficiency over 32 I don't see it as have made tunes max out at 32 and then just change that to about 38 and see more power so it could be just my truck.