Snap On vs. Autel

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Has anyone switched from snap on scantools to an autel, or possibly used both? I've been using snap on for years. My local napa parts rep left an autel maxisys ultra to demo for 2 weeks. It's their equivalent to a Zues. I'm curious about, definitely going to put it to use

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I have the same situation. I've been playing with the Ultra a little bit, and as much as I don't like the Zues or Snapon's preloaded BS, the ultra just doesn't cut the mustard for me. I want something better for standalone use off the grid. I may try a topdon. The Zues leaves A LOT to be desired for network diag. At this point, I run OEM software with a DGTech nexgen interface for most things. I also am learning the BMW/Mercedes side of things too, which is a whole new learning curve....

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
I've been using both for the last 10 years, whatever the snap-on fails to do the autel usually does and vice versa. Neither do all that well with Allison TCM's, so I have a Tech 2 which is honestly what I end up using most of the time when working on 2014 and older trucks anyway. Theres no one tool that does it all.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
At my shop, we work on nearly anything. I've sworn off Volkswagen and we really don't get people asking about other imports. At this point I only have a Snap on Apollo d8 and Forscan. So chances are, this autel is better than what I currently have, at least in general capabilities

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My guys use their snapon solus most the time, otherwise we use the Matco Maximus 4.0 for scope or more intricate work on electronics. I’m finding more and more we need the factory hardware for shit though or it’s just easier to work with. We have the mdi2, witech and ids/frds. Seems like you gotta pay for a subscription anymore so I might as well pay for the factory stuff if I’m gonna do that.

Reactions: juddski88

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
At my shop, we work on nearly anything. I've sworn off Volkswagen and we really don't get people asking about other imports. At this point I only have a Snap on Apollo d8 and Forscan. So chances are, this autel is better than what I currently have, at least in general capabilities

Its worth buying. If you get the Ultra, you should be able to basically program any BMW that comes in the door without having to buy their subscription, that was the main selling feature of them. If you don't do any flashing of BMW's, just get the cheaper 906pro-ts as the diagnostics software is the same and it does tpms all in one package.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

For VW, nothing beats VCDS. That's what I use on mine and it can do just about anything you need

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Its worth buying. If you get the Ultra, you should be able to basically program any BMW that comes in the door without having to buy their subscription, that was the main selling feature of them. If you don't do any flashing of BMW's, just get the cheaper 906pro-ts as the diagnostics software is the same and it does tpms all in one package.

Maybe I haven't found it yet, but anything that needs to be coded with NCSExpert, the Ultra cannot do.

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
Maybe I haven't found it yet, but anything that needs to be coded with NCSExpert, the Ultra cannot do.

I haven’t done it since probably 2019, but I was able to flash and code modules with the Maxisys Ultra back then with no issues. If thats changed since, then there’s no good reason to spend the money on the ultra over the 906pro ts.

I bought a 906ts during Black Friday on Amazon for under a grand. It can’t be beat at that price point by anyone.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
My cousin runs a big auto shop. He has mostly the latest snap-on and multiple units of them but also has an Autel and one other brand I’m not sure of. There are things the snap-on will do and autel wont and vice versa like said above. One major advantage snap-on has is the operating system is way faster than autel. His autel rep doesn’t like it but he tells rep that until autel gets a better OS his mainstay will be the snap-on. Also the snap-ons also get way more hours used than the autel because of that reason. Takes probably 3 times as long to get booted up and logged into the vehicle than snap-on. One thing my own autel wont do is reprogram the balance rates for the injectors on the L5P. It tries but it will not save them. Gotta borrow my said cousins snap-on to do it.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
My cousin runs a big auto shop. He has mostly the latest snap-on and multiple units of them but also has an Autel and one other brand I’m not sure of. There are things the snap-on will do and autel wont and vice versa like said above. One major advantage snap-on has is the operating system is way faster than autel. His autel rep doesn’t like it but he tells rep that until autel gets a better OS his mainstay will be the snap-on. Also the snap-ons also get way more hours used than the autel because of that reason. Takes probably 3 times as long to get booted up and logged into the vehicle than snap-on. One thing my own autel wont do is reprogram the balance rates for the injectors on the L5P. It tries but it will not save them. Gotta borrow my said cousins snap-on to do it.

I gotta say that the tablet itself for the Ultra is faster than the Zues. The diag software is slower for the Ultra because it has so much more capability and is trying to load from the cloud. The Zues is a little more standalone from the cloud, but doesn't have the options the Autel has

Lennydmaxguy

Just another diesel tech
Nov 8, 2023
Somewhere, USA :)
I have both brands in my shop and the Snap-on tools come out of the drawer multiple times a day, while the Autel is maybe used once a week. Might be mostly personal preference on my part, but the usability of Snap-on is hard to beat. Autel does tend to have more features on some makes, but sometimes you'll come across a function that's there, but doesn't work right.

Then there's the issue of Autel stealing data from OEs, if that bothers you.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I have Owned the Original Verus, The Verus Wireless, and Now the Verus Edge. Snap On did me and all Verus Users Dirty on the Last Scan tool Purchase. That Being Said, I still felt the Verus was a better option over the Zeus equivalent. They really cater to the stupid people and the parts changers. I have had to assist my local dealer in my area with training and or making sure the tool was set up and working properly.

I have tried working with Snap On Diagnostics in the past but we were not high volume enough and I guess I didn't spend enough money with them... Fortunately I made the Radar more than once and was able to force their hand at expanding coverage and implementing fixes. The top brass doesn't like it when you refer to there Premium diagnostic tool as an expensive wheel chock or a paperweight on public forums.

Sadly you either need OEM if you specialize or more than 1 aftermarket diagnostic scan tool depending on what you work on.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
And the cost of having these tools on hand is why good Indy shops should not be afraid to charge appropriately. The cost of tooling up a good indy mechanic is at least 3x the cost of tooling up a dealer tech. The education takes longer and costs more too. Indys should charge at least what their local dealers do if they are providing dealer level services for multiple brands...
Just my .02 cents

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Brick, as my Mom used to say, "Someone's gotta be the bitch". Sometimes, that's the only way to get things done.
There were a couple of us on the snap on forum that were kind of a thorn in their side... It's kind of funny when you hear on a back channel and from more than 1 source that you were the topic of a meeting. And more than just 1 time too boot... It's no Secret that they invest time and resources in what the trends show is going to make them money. We had to open their Eye's and show them that they need more and that we expect more for the money they demand from their tool and there software. I use to update my scan tool regularly even after I stopped wrenching Daily in a shop until the pandemic.

Now they have gone to a subscription base for the Sure Track which used to be on the tool itself and was one of the benefits of buying the tool. You get a code for 6 months of access if you buy the latest software update. That also requires and internet connection which can be difficult if your not near something. For example we needed to be right next to the shop as the signal didn't broadcast far enough outside the bay doors. Same at home. I only get 1 bar in the street next to my house if I am lucky.