LB7: Should I be scared to buy an LB7

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
Here is the way I view LB7s...you're taking a gamble owning one. Sure, SAC style injectors can basically fix the problem but nobody in their right mind is going to put $3000 worth of injectors into a truck that is barely worth $5000 to begin with. LB7s are old and cheap and people nearly give them away. If you are going to own an LB7 make sure you pay a few grand under book value just to cover the inevitable failure of injectors. Also, don't plan on resale being worth much. Word is out on those trucks. Me personally, I won't own another one unless it is nearly given to me. I don't mind putting a set of injectors in a free truck but I'm certainly not going to pay book value for one and then immediately go thousands upside down on it when it needs squirters.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Here is the way I view LB7s...you're taking a gamble owning one. Sure, SAC style injectors can basically fix the problem but nobody in their right mind is going to put $3000 worth of injectors into a truck that is barely worth $5000 to begin with. LB7s are old and cheap and people nearly give them away. If you are going to own an LB7 make sure you pay a few grand under book value just to cover the inevitable failure of injectors. Also, don't plan on resale being worth much. Word is out on those trucks. Me personally, I won't own another one unless it is nearly given to me. I don't mind putting a set of injectors in a free truck but I'm certainly not going to pay book value for one and then immediately go thousands upside down on it when it needs squirters.

^^^ Yep, this is why the value is plummeting on lb7...

Just wait a few more years, they will be worth a lot if they are in good shape with the way the EPA is cracking down. LB7 (federal emissions) had no emissions components, just a muffler.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
The frick are you guys talking about? I can’t find a clean 01-02 ANYWHERE for less than 15k. They want lbz prices for them. Now 03-04 is a different story.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
the price isn't plummeting or even going down drastically on any duramax generation what are you smoking, they are actually holding their value quite well compared to dodge/ford.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The frick are you guys talking about? I can’t find a clean 01-02 ANYWHERE for less than 15k. They want lbz prices for them. Now 03-04 is a different story.

a good clean lb7 that will most likely still need injectors and other junk is still gunna be 8-10k here. finding a good "clean" one is like pulling hens teeth.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I must be insane because I prefer the LB7. I own 2, and my brother owns 1. The LB7s do tend to be a bit cheaper to buy, but you're doing good to buy one much under $10k here in Idaho, and it will need injectors at that price.

I suppose it depends on how you look at trucks. If you want something temporary, a LB7 is a bad choice. It might need injectors or a transmission while you own it, and you won't get that money back out of it selling it since no one trusts you used good parts, even if a shop does the work. But if you're going to keep it for 10 years, put SAC injectors in, build the trans, put a tune on, and just enjoy it. That's what I do. I've had my LB7 for 11 years and wouldn't hesitate to jump in and drive to the east coast if I wanted to.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
If my lb7 was 4wd I would have kept it. That thing just wouldn’t quit and I abused it pretty good. The only thing I really kept up on it was fluid changes. Just about everything needed fixed or replaced and I got $6000 for it when I sold it. I turned down a $6500 cashiers check for $6k cash lol. Both guys from Utah too. I would have gotten another lb7 but I wanted a truck to drive not fix.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I must be insane because I prefer the LB7. I own 2, and my brother owns 1. The LB7s do tend to be a bit cheaper to buy, but you're doing good to buy one much under $10k here in Idaho, and it will need injectors at that price.

I suppose it depends on how you look at trucks. If you want something temporary, a LB7 is a bad choice. It might need injectors or a transmission while you own it, and you won't get that money back out of it selling it since no one trusts you used good parts, even if a shop does the work. But if you're going to keep it for 10 years, put SAC injectors in, build the trans, put a tune on, and just enjoy it. That's what I do. I've had my LB7 for 11 years and wouldn't hesitate to jump in and drive to the east coast if I wanted to.

This...

I ran through my LB7 when I got it and never looked back. It never game me trouble and I would have driven it across county in a heart beat. Had 350k on the clock and sold it for 10k in SoCal.

The only reason I wouldn't buy another LB7 is because I do long drives back and forth to Las Vegas often. You just can't cruise at 85+ in a 5 speed like I can in my LML.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The only reason I wouldn't buy another LB7 is because I do long drives back and forth to Las Vegas often. You just can't cruise at 85+ in a 5 speed like I can in my LML.
True, 6th is quite nice! I have the Suncoast 6-speed kit in my Suburban, and I am really strongly considering the DuramaxTuner 6-speed kit for my GMC. The kits won't pay for themselves in fuel mileage, but I think they are worth it for in-cab noise levels alone, plus keeping engine RPM down extends engine life theoretically.

You can get the same kind of effect with taller tires. I run 35s on my GMC and it turns about the same RPM in 5th that the Suburban turns in 6th on stock tires. But big tires rob fuel mileage and are expensive to replace, hence why I am considering the 6-speed kit for the GMC too.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
This...

I ran through my LB7 when I got it and never looked back. It never game me trouble and I would have driven it across county in a heart beat. Had 350k on the clock and sold it for 10k in SoCal.

Lb7's get better mpg than any of the 6 speed trucks though...

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
I buy and sell these trucks as a side business. I'm not sure where you guys are getting your prices but I've been buying good running/driving rust free southwest, 4x4 LBZs for under $10k regularly. LB7s around me are dirt cheap. Maybe it's just the rust belt guys that are struggling to find clean trucks but here in the southwest our clean rigs are a dime a dozen. When nice LBZs are $10k that makes LB7s about worthless in my opinion.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
P0087 or Pressurized Cooling Sytem with a haze? Pick your poison. I'd take my lbzs over lb7s all day long. Reason why is no ficm, tapshift 6 speed, longer injector life, and vvt.
LB7s are simple but still not worth it.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Simpler is better,
tapshift... Who cares vvt... **** that... And injectors aren't that much better and cost way more

It's true the southwest has good priced trucks but finding lbz trucks for 10k isn't an everyday thing not every one is that price and lly/lb7 isn't going for much less

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Never see a lb7 get 250k out of a set injectors........ That's when we see LBZs start getting high return rates.

VVT is over rated. I mean seriously who likes turbo braking and a responsive throttle? Weird. Wonder why everything's vvt now days if fixed vain is so great.

6 speed Tap shift? Love it towing in the mountains. It's awesome to control what gear it's in instead of hoping it downshifts soon. Not to mention stronger internals and updates that hold more power. Seems like a waste.

Whatever you guys have to tell yourself. We all have opinions. Just like the 12v dodge guys living under a rock.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Never see a lb7 get 250k out of a set injectors........ That's when we see LBZs start getting high return rates.

VVT is over rated. I mean seriously who likes turbo braking and a responsive throttle? Weird. Wonder why everything's vvt now days if fixed vain is so great.

6 speed Tap shift? Love it towing in the mountains. It's awesome to control what gear it's in instead of hoping it downshifts soon. Not to mention stronger internals and updates that hold more power. Seems like a waste.

Whatever you guys have to tell yourself. We all have opinions. Just like the 12v dodge guys living under a rock.

I wasn't trying to say those we're all bad things I just don't care for any of them personally. I prefer fixed vane turbo and I don't tow and my trans is fully built.
An lb7 will never get 250k out of a set but if an lbz/lmm doesn't eat it's injectors one at a time it might get 250k

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I get every bit as good of throttle response with my stock lb7 as an lbz with a vvt. The 45 over sacs and tuning got me there. When I built mine, I put 3.42 gears in which gives me the same final drive in 5th as 3.73's in 6th. MPG is a wash as a tuned LBZ can do low 20's all day long once you open the vanes and drop the boo st out. Injectors, I know way to many who have had p0087 or no starts from bad injectors at well under 150k miles. Part of me wishes I had used an LLY, but I have no real complaints about using an LB7.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Honestly at this point asking which truck is better is just starting a pissing contest. Yes I know a week ago I asked a similar question, with similar results. Half say lbz is the holy grail of all dmax. Half say they love their lb7. And every other engine has a fan base too. There are good eggs and bad in every one.

To the OP, you know about the potential injector issues that seem to have been remedied with the release of the SAC injectors. If you can live with the possibility of having to do injectors once and not have the ability to turbo brake with your factory turbo, by all means by it if it’s a well maintained clean truck. My recommendation, however, is to go drive a few different years with different engines. That’s the only way you’ll know if you’re gonna be happy with your purchase.