Setting Lash

jojo

Dec 12, 2013
Southern California
I have injectors out and 195k on the clock of my LB7.

I have read numerous posts regarding setting lash.

Is it possible to set lash with fan, fan shroud and with passenger side pulleys intact?

MrBunny

Sep 14, 2015
Lake City, FL
just have some one help turn over the motor while u are looking at the heads.
also merchant auto has a great app that shows u what vavles to do and when. look it up. they have it both for iphone and andriod.

jojo

Dec 12, 2013
Southern California
just have some one help turn over the motor while u are looking at the heads.
also merchant auto has a great app that shows u what vavles to do and when. look it up. they have it both for iphone and andriod.

Downloaded aforementioned PDF. Wouldnt I be able see piston at TDC on cylinder on through injector sleeve to make sure I am at TDC?

MrBunny

Sep 14, 2015
Lake City, FL
its really hard to do. I wouldnt do it that way. u need to know that the timing marks are lined up and all that fun stuff. if u have a air hammer u can hit the fan nut to the left and it will come free. thats the easy way to get it off. the timing marks are hard to see if u have the fan on and in the way. setting the lash is pretty easy though.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Easiest it take a 15/16" socket and 1/2 ratchet attached to alternator...
With upper valve cover off... Run on valve open set its counter part.. Worked it down the bank..

jojo

Dec 12, 2013
Southern California
its really hard to do. I wouldnt do it that way. u need to know that the timing marks are lined up and all that fun stuff. if u have a air hammer u can hit the fan nut to the left and it will come free. thats the easy way to get it off. the timing marks are hard to see if u have the fan on and in the way. setting the lash is pretty easy though.

I have taken the fan off a few times. But never with an air hammer. Good time to use the A.H. I just bought and make short work of that fan.

Thanks

DewDewMax

Drive fast, take chances
Jul 9, 2014
Sudbury Ontario
I have injectors out and 195k on the clock of my LB7.

I have read numerous posts regarding setting lash.

Is it possible to set lash with fan, fan shroud and with passenger side pulleys intact?

You can leave the fan on but it's easier without, just use a cold chisel and big hammer,there regular right hand thread, if that doesn't work get a bigger hammer! You have your injectors out so its way easier just stick a straw or coat hanger down the injector whole rotate the engine till cyl 1 is tdc compression stroke

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
when you run through and set them all. roll he motor over in direction of operation 3 full revolutions and go back through and reset them. everytime I do this I find some that are looser then the first time I set them. even merchant says to do this.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Get yourself a electric button and install long wires and a couple alligator clips and hook to the starter. You can then bump the engine over by yourself on either side of the truck.

I roll the engine until the one of the rockers moves off it's seat quite a bit and then adjust it's partner. I use a sharpie marker and make a mark on the head right above the rocker that was adjusted. I will adjust them all on one side, then roll the engine over quite a few times (easy with the bump button) and then go back and adjust them all on that side again. Once I see two sharpie marks above each rocker, I switch sides.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I like that method. I'll try it next time. Thanks Rob!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jojo

Dec 12, 2013
Southern California
Glad I checked the lash. About three valves were so tight that I could not get the .12 in between. The other valves may have been a little loose at worse, but ultimately it was a good idea to get in there and adjust lash. I adjusted so the .12 would slide in there and the .13 would not be able to slide in fully. Thanks for the info.