Radio stays on after key out and door open

Snichols243

Aug 15, 2012
Columbia Mo
I havent done a whole lot of research yet but when I turn my truck off the radio stays on like it used to but when I open the door the radio stays on, the dome lights come on but the radio doesnt shut off like its supposed to. Plus the door dinger stopped working, door can be open with key in and no dinger. This just started today. Got an 2007 silverado classic lbz. Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
My old 04 1500 did it and my 07 classic I have now does it every once and awhile but I haven't tried to figure it out yet. But I do know you can open another door and it'll go off

Roll Tide!

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
Mine does random combinations of lights/ chime/ radio working or not working like they should. When one or more doesn't shut off, I just open the back door and that does the trick.

Snichols243

Aug 15, 2012
Columbia Mo
Well I can open any door and nothing shuts it off, right now I got the battery cables unhooked trying to maybe reset something....

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
my dually does the same thing occasionally, think it is the door switch in the locking mechanism. I usually just open the rear door and it shuts off.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Mine does that sometimes too. I can fiddle with the little latch part (the part that closes around the striker), and it will turn off.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Subscribed, mine works a little odd compared to my 2007 NBS gasser

Park to shutdown key in off position; remove key radio stays on until door opens

Park to shutdown key in off position; leave key in ignition, open door remove key radio stays on even after closing door and hitting the FOB to lock

:catfight2:

Last edited:

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Mine does that sometimes too. I can fiddle with the little latch part (the part that closes around the striker), and it will turn off.

Same with mine, I have lubed it. Usually does better for about a week and then progressively worse.

lockner13

Aug 17, 2013
my 01 was doing the same thing, open any door and it still stayed on. it got bad enough though that the radio would randomly turn off and wouldn't turn back on for a while. it ended up being a bad radio.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
If you do a google search for "radio wont shut off when door is opened", you will find a pretty surprising trend with GM vehicles doing this.

I picked up the switch 20 minutes ago (came to 47 bucks with tax), gonna tear into it around 330 ish when i get off work. I'll take some pics of it.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
If you do a google search for "radio wont shut off when door is opened", you will find a pretty surprising trend with GM vehicles doing this.

I picked up the switch 20 minutes ago (came to 47 bucks with tax), gonna tear into it around 330 ish when i get off work. I'll take some pics of it.

What switch did you purchase?

Last edited:

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
What switch is it?

Lock actuator switch. It has 2 wiring connections, and an arm that is springloaded (soft spring) with a rubber bumper looking thing on it that sences when the door is opened. Over time, grease/roadgrime build up and it doesn't release.

A few other issues I seen listed were the pins in the wiring broke free and no longer made contact.

I'll be thouroughly cleaning everything. You have to take off the door panel and remove the actual locking mechanism to change it. So be a good time to clean and regrease everything.+

746-017 is part# for driver side front/rear 746-011 is from pass front/rear.