Questions for the hot shot drivers

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Im interested in getting into the hauling business with my truck. I got laid off from my job and need an income and it would be awesome to use my truck to do that. I see theres u-ship to get hauls but os there any other options? Maybe id work for a company and use my truck and their trailer and they find me the hauls? Also how do i go about getting a DOT number and any other things i need to do it. Should i go out and finance a gooseneck trailer? Or maybe hail campers or something? Any extra info would be awesome. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Nope no cdl here, didnt think one was needed unless going over the 26k pounds. Or is there a trailer weight limit where you need one?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Get your CDL ... Some companies will pay for it. Go run some ones truck.. Do a year or so... Make mistakes on someone else's dime...most companies start mid 40k... Alot cheaper to find out if you like it or not

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Get your CDL ... Some companies will pay for it. Go run some ones truck.. Do a year or so... Make mistakes on someone else's dime...most companies start mid 40k... Alot cheaper to find out if you like it or not

Pretty sure as long as you are driving and hauling for a wage, you have to have at least a class C CDL...Tkes you to 26K gvw, B takes you to 56k IIRC and A get you 80k GCVW and I believe they all cover a trailer...you need a specific endorsement to haul doubles and triples, hazmat, people, etc...

As far as getting your license thru a long haul company, like US Express, Knight, PAC Ex, Snyder, or whatever big name outfit you can that pays for the CDL and offers you a job for a year under contract...its a rough start

First of all, your first 90 days are going to be as a team driver with a "teacher", and you're under an initiation/probation pay scale, of about 50% less per mile driven

Second, once you do get cleared for your own rig, your starting payscale is bottom of the barrel and they run you ragged and give you the multi stop routes in the middle of nowhere and tight timelines to get there

And I wouldn't necessarily say learning " the ropes" as an OTR/Long haul trucker is indicative of what hot shot pick up and deliveries is all about, either...the job and duties themselves are not a whole lot different, sure, but IMO the "life" and stress of driving a big rig and hot shot deliveries with a pickup, is not nearly the same

Edit:
And neither is learning the ropes as a company driver, and training or learning as a small business owner or with the goal of being a business owner...that's like straight up culture shock...company driver to business owner...

You have to get licensed as a transport company in your state and you can haul and do business "intra-state", if you want to haul out of your state you have to get licensed and insured and bonded to haul " inter-state", I do believe at a minimum you'll need a class C drivers liscense...and you're gonna need a medical card that states you pass the minimum health requirements

Your trailer and load are separate entities from themselves and from your truck, everything has to be insured and registered as such (at least in Washington) and your delivery can not exceede your bond...

Now days you have toll roads EVERYWHERE!
So, to keep records and make everything easier, you'd probably want to look into whatever prepaid toll system your main routes use, as well

There's lots of details, I've looked into it as well and its alot more entailed than having a truck, liscense and trailer...and I have a Class A CDL, experience and every endorsement on my liscense

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Without the 35k aluminum trailer I currently drag.. I needed 30k pluss another 8-10k for operating till funds came for loads haul..
I say go company driver first less money involved.. See if he likes life on the road..

Class A is over 26001 gvw and 10001lb trailer and up combination
Class B is over 26001 gvw and under 10001 trailer
Class C is everything that doesn't fall into A or B example
A 26k hotshot is under 26k but has more then a 10k trailer

I started OTR big truck.. On the driving side there isn't much difference between the two..
Company to owner operator basically changes who you bitch at when truck breaks down or no loads etc

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I know somebody that does it in Florida, and he doesn't have a CDL. He said he has to be REAL careful that his GVWR doesn't exceed 26,000 pounds. He's been hassled by several DOT guys for it, but eventually they let him go because he is legal. He also said down here he's not allowed to leave the state without a CDL. Then theres agriculture hauling where you can haul whatever you want so long as you stay within a certain distance of your home base. My uncle drove a semi for awhile before he got his CDL hauling trees and plants under the agricultural exemption.

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Like anything it seems there's a lot involved. Id like to work for a company and use my truck. I dont think there's any near me though. Im used to life on the road in a way. I was a train conductor and most of my runs were 12 hours, sleep in a hotel and then back home. Im going to have to look into this whole hot shot deal though.

chevor

Highway hauler.
Sep 17, 2015
On the Road
I'm just pulling campers out of Indiana. Leased to one of the RV Transport companies. It isn't as complicated as what Adam is doing.....less potential for $$$.

Just need a 26k plate and a chauffeur license. Medical card and Annual DOT inspection.

Pay is per mile one way. Back hauls are very rare.

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
I hauled campers out of Goshen Indiana a few years ago when work was slow. I really enjoyed it. With you not having a class a CDL you are limited to pulling campers with a gvwr of 16,800. (26,000-9,200=16,800). Small travel trailers pay the same as a fifth wheel or park Model trailer approaching your limit of 16,800 gvwr. I always hauled the smallest lightest trailer I could so I would make more $. Fuel mileage is very important. I got better mileage hauling travel trailers than fifth wheels so that is what I looked for when selecting loads.
You have a couple things working against you with your truck. Your lift will hurt your mileage and you may mot be able to haul a fifth wheel with the height of your truck. Some companies don't want to lease a short bed truck due to cab clearance issues pulling fifth wheels. Some companies won't lease a truck older than 10 years old. Realistically during the busy season not being able to haul a fifth wheel won't really hurt you. You may want to store your nice wheels and find some stock wheels or H2"s with highway type tires. It will drop the ride height some and pick up a mpg or 2. You would need mudflaps that hang roughly 6" off the ground when unloaded. You need a weight distributing hitch with a decent size drop to it for you to be able to get it to the height they want.

I would spend roughly half of my pay for the load on fuel. I lived near Goshen at the time so I did a lot of day trips. Do you have a passport? Hauling to Canada pays more.

I'd be curious how much more could be made hailing freight and equipment like Adam does. Probably make it worth buying a trailer but it would be much harder on the truck than pulling campers.

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
As far as your dot number and all your legalization paperwork the carrier you lease to will take care of that. You buy your truck accessories, get the ammount of insurance they specify, get a commercial plate for your truck, sit through an orientation, and you are pretty much ready to go.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I'd be curious how much more could be made hailing freight and equipment like Adam does. Probably make it worth buying a trailer but it would be much harder on the truck than pulling campers.

I'm looking at a 1099 for 38 weeks worth of work for mid 90k
Truck gross should be mid 110-120k..
Mileage is screwed due to the fact I DD it while home.

150k truck gross year isn't unreasonable for 50 weeks worth of running
Oh and only one log book ;)
By COB tomorrow I'll have 37-3800miles put down between 1/18-1/25 when I empty out in Houston tx 60 hours on the book and 10 left to knock out two drops and ~500 miles which I'll probably do a 34 reset..or I'll roll hours and cruise 1200 miles home IDK yet

Last edited:

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
a lot of good info here. i just arrived home tonight driving from phoenix to ohio. couldn't believe all the diesels i seen hauling, and a lot of campers in the Indiana area. makes me think there is money to be made. i was able to jot down various company's info on billboards for hauling the RV's. On all their websites you had to be 23 years old. must be for their insurance. Im only 22 and will turn 23 in july. Im going to look into what it will cost to get a class C CDL the right insurance and get my truck DOT registered and see if i can start hauling from U-ship. Not sure if im going about this all the right way but im also going to re-read though these posts and see if i missed anything. thanks guys!