Question on BT Lockup Box installation for 5 speed

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
This not right unless Ben made it that way on new boxes. Once you go into auto mode weather you let off the throttle or tap the brake it should always revert back to auto mode with blue light. At least that's how mine is. So it looks like all your functions are right except auto mode not staying on when you tap the brake.

I wonder if its the wore going to the brake did you triple check that.

Mine does the same thing as his, but my box doesn't look like his. Granted mines an lbz. I bought mine like a month ago from Dustin at diesel addiction. So I'm thinking might be an older unit?

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
You saw my pics....both sides blank, no stickers or anything. No markings at all. Mine should be brand new, I bought new directly through Ben.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
It will be interesting to see what Ben says. The harness colors are different for sure. It could also be something extremely simple like a loose tap or pin

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
Does either of yours have a version # on the back. Mines 5.5.1. Its roughly 1.5 years old maybe

Mine looks like this. Not to sure on the differences and don't really care as long as it works. I really think my issue is the power connection.. After awhile of driving the light just turns off but it's hard to tell because the led isn't too bright

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 18

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Mine looks like this. Not to sure on the differences and don't really care as long as it works. I really think my issue is the power connection.. After awhile of driving the light just turns off but it's hard to tell because the led isn't too bright

We have the same setup, thunder must have a brand new version or something.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Sorry everyone I was away from Thursday until last night for the holiday. Im just getting caught up now on emails and will get back to everyone ASAP!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Here's the video.
[YOUTUBE]-lwEJxCTm8A[/YOUTUBE]

Hmmm that is really strange that its kicking off auto when you hit the brakes.

Where is the orange power wire tapped into? Im wondering if the orange power wire doesnt have a good connection, so whats actually happening is the module is being "backfed" and powered up by the brake pedal switch instead.

Ben

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry everyone I was away from Thursday until last night for the holiday. Im just getting caught up now on emails and will get back to everyone ASAP!
No prob, figured you were out for the weekend :)
Hmmm that is really strange that its kicking off auto when you hit the brakes.

Where is the orange power wire tapped into? Im wondering if the orange power wire doesnt have a good connection, so whats actually happening is the module is being "backfed" and powered up by the brake pedal switch instead.

Ben
Orange power is hooked up to the pink wire in the light blue BCM connector as recommended in the instructions. Green ground is hooked into the black/white BCM wire in the brown BCM connector, both using t taps. I checked both power and ground with a multi meter and both seemed to be working ok. I will double check the power connection tonight and make sure it's solid. Would backfeed power from the brake pedal explain why the controller also shuts off when the TCM commands lockup?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
No prob, figured you were out for the weekend :)

Orange power is hooked up to the pink wire in the light blue BCM connector as recommended in the instructions. Green ground is hooked into the black/white BCM wire in the brown BCM connector, both using t taps. I checked both power and ground with a multi meter and both seemed to be working ok. I will double check the power connection tonight and make sure it's solid. Would backfeed power from the brake pedal explain why the controller also shuts off when the TCM commands lockup?

This is on a 2003-2007 BCM, correct? Try the WHITE wire on pin position A3 of the light blue wire for power instead...some people have better luck tapping in there for power.

Once the solid power and ground are confirmed, then we can check on the issue of it kicking off when the TCM commands lockup.

Ben

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
This is on a 2005 BCM, yes.

On my trip in to work this morning the auto mode was not shutting off with the brake pedal. It did shut off though when the TCM commanded lockup.

I'll move the power wire to the white wire tonight and solder both power and ground and report back.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Orange power wire is now soldered to the white wire in position A3 on the light blue BCM connector.

Green ground wire is now soldered to the black/white wire in position B6 on the brown BCM connector.

Still doing the same thing.

When the truck is running, the brake pedal does not disengage Auto mode, but it does disengage manual lock and manual unlock. This seems ok to me, not sure if this is how it's programmed but this behavior doesn't seem like it would cause a problem.

The entire module still shuts off when the TCM commands lockup.

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Orange power wire is now soldered to the white wire in position A3 on the light blue BCM connector.

Green ground wire is now soldered to the black/white wire in position B6 on the brown BCM connector.

Still doing the same thing.

When the truck is running, the brake pedal does not disengage Auto mode, but it does disengage manual lock and manual unlock. This seems ok to me, not sure if this is how it's programmed but this behavior doesn't seem like it would cause a problem.

The entire module still shuts off when the TCM commands lockup.

Brake pedal should shut off manual lock and unlock, that is normal.

Give me a day or so to let me run some extra tests on my own truck to see if I can duplicate the module shutting off when the TCM commands lockup.

Other than that everything is working fine? Does the module shutting off when the TCM commands lockup effect the module's operation, or anything else on the truck? IE, is it just an "unexpected side effect", or is it actually making something else in the truck/TCC engagement also act erratically?

Ben

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
As far as the module goes, it's operation is crippled but parts of it still work.

If I wanted to race with it I could, if I set it to auto mode and go it will lock when it's supposed to and shut off when TCM commands lockup, which would work fine since the lockup command would basically hand off from the module to the TCM.

Manual lock function works ok too, I can lock the converter when it's unlocked without issue.

The manual unlock function is pretty useless with the module working this way. Since it powers off any time the TCM commands lock, I can't ever use the unlock command unless the converter is already unlocked, which isn't useful.

For the auto function, I can't really "set it and forget it" since it turns off when TCM commands lockup and does not come back on even after the converter unlocks. I have to keep an eye on the module and click the button every time the converter unlocks if I want it to operate, which really defeats the purpose of having auto mode in the first place.

I can still drive the truck no problem, the converter locks and unlocks correctly under TCM control with the module off, so I just leave it off.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
After working on this for the past 5 hours I was finally able to repeatedly duplicate the "glitch" on the bench here...I THINK I might have found the issue, Ill post back when I know for sure. Thanks for the patience