Question: banks big head actuator

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Does anybody have a banks big head waste gate actuator and did you notice any power gains or egt drop?

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
No noticable power gain or egt drop just everyday driving though? What psi did you set it at?

Nothing that I notice. Main reason I installed it was that I think the stocker bleeds off boost by opening slightly before max boost is seen, which robs power. Im hoping this one "snaps" open and closed quicker.

I set it for 34lbs using my air compressor, but I need to go out and do a couple WOT runs on the race tune to see what real-world boost numbers are....then adjust up or down from there.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
not impressed with mine. a restrictor or small hole in the gate actuator line will work as well imo. it is a nice piece though.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
FWIW the stock turbo at 30 PSIG is running so far off its map that all youre creating is excessive heat. Whatever power gains you would have from the increased boost pressure are offset by the excess heat. Also, from my expirience, stock IHI turbos dont like to live much over that 30 PSIG either. I killed 2 of them within 2 years at 32-33 PSIG. IMO if the stock turbo isnt enough for you either replace it or give it a bigger brother.

For those of you who like a bleed orifice, or adjustable "boost valve" try this expirament: unhook your wastegate signal line completely. My bet is that you will not see more than about 27 PSIG of boost anyways unless you have a very heavy fueling tune/chip. This is because the stock actuator spring is not strong enough to hold back the amount of drive pressure required to create that boost pressure.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
FWIW the stock turbo at 30 PSIG is running so far off its map that all youre creating is excessive heat. Whatever power gains you would have from the increased boost pressure are offset by the excess heat. Also, from my expirience, stock IHI turbos dont like to live much over that 30 PSIG either. I killed 2 of them within 2 years at 32-33 PSIG. IMO if the stock turbo isnt enough for you either replace it or give it a bigger brother.

For those of you who like a bleed orifice, or adjustable "boost valve" try this expirament: unhook your wastegate signal line completely. My bet is that you will not see more than about 27 PSIG of boost anyways unless you have a very heavy fueling tune/chip. This is because the stock actuator spring is not strong enough to hold back the amount of drive pressure required to create that boost pressure.
Id love to replace or get twins but I don't have the funds at the moment :( I used to have mine unhooked but I was told two thing by different people #1 it will overspeed the turbo and cause failure #2 unhooking the line will bleed of quite a bit of boost therefore gaining nothing. Which is true?

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Id love to replace or get twins but I don't have the funds at the moment :( I used to have mine unhooked but I was told two thing by different people #1 it will overspeed the turbo and cause failure #2 unhooking the line will bleed of quite a bit of boost therefore gaining nothing. Which is true?

On the which is true question, both can be true, it depends on your circumstance. Trying to produce pressures in excess of 30 PSIG is going to overspeed your turbo. It is my oppinion that any modifications to the stock turbo except for increasing flow to the turbo is a waste of time and money. Forcing the turbo to opperate outside its design parameters (which by the way GM/Isusu almost did to begin with...this turbo is grosly undersized for this engine) will inevitably cause premature failure. My suggestion is to start saving your pennies for something bigger, or perhaps look into water/methanol injection if you are looking to lower towing EGTs without swaping turbos or installing compounds.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
Like said before 32psi is the Max you ever want to see. I have 100k+ on my turbo and all kinds of pulls and 1/4 passes on it and it is still ok. If you are looking for power with a stock turbo i would say port the mouth piece and switch to efi. With good a tune you can utilize the gate opening to decrease drive pressure.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
GM/Isusu almost did to begin with...this turbo is grosly undersized for this engine)

grossly undersized?? I disagree. You can do over 500rwhp (double stock) and run 12's with a stock duramax LB7 turbo!

Try doing that on a stock cummins/7.3/6.0psd turbo. If you think the duramax has a "grossly undersized" turbo, go look at what the cummins guys have to play with..... ;)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
How many turns did you give yours and do you have an IHI or Garrett?

all LB7's came from the factory with an IHI turbo. The duramax's didnt get Garrett turbos until the 2004.5 LLY. And those garrett turbos were (and still are today on the current LML's) variable vane...no wastegate.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
grossly undersized?? I disagree. You can do over 500rwhp (double stock) and run 12's with a stock duramax LB7 turbo!

Try doing that on a stock cummins/7.3/6.0psd turbo. If you think the duramax has a "grossly undersized" turbo, go look at what the cummins guys have to play with..... ;)

Grosly undersized in that at that 500 HP level you are in a very crummy efficiency ring on the compressor map. Lots of heat being created there.